Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:48 PM

263 posts, read 345,251 times

Advertisements

So I have been debating for several weeks whether I should pay a big chunk of cash into my mortgage principal... all the forums here have folks on each side of the debate. So I went to my amortization table and here is the best way to think about this issue PERIOD. Please check my logic and tell me what am I missing and let the debate begin:

I have a big mortgage... If I pay $100k today towards principal, instead of paying $23k in interest after 12 months, I will have paid $20k... that's $3k in interest that I didn't pay, money I didn't waste. Thanks to being able to deduct interest on my tax return, my tax bill will be reduced by roughly 25% of the $3k, so my real savings - money not sent down the drain - went from $3k to $2,250, but i still come out ahead.

In addition, after paying said big chunck, $100k, instead of paying $12k towards principal, after 12 months I will have contributed $16k. So that's $4k more of net worth, shifting money from one pocket to another.

SO adding the $2,250 plus the $4k, my return on the $100k paid on my mortgage is 6.25% the first year. This I much better than the 3.625% interest rate i am paying on my mortgage.

Two sides of the equation, need to be additive to one another.

What am i missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 04:17 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,696,288 times
Doesn't the length of ownership also have an influence in these things? Like how long you plan to hold on to your home?

I've heard that if you do something like this just to sell your home in 2 years is different than if you hold on to it for 20.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:27 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,816,978 times
The return is $2,250. Shifting the money from one pocket to the other pocket doesn't increase your return, you are just moving the saving from your "cash in the bank" to home equity. With $100,000 paid off early, how many months are you cutting off of your 30 years? Take that number multiply by your monthly payment and you have your total savings.

If you refinance to a new loan with the same rate end date with a $100,000 lower balance, you'll have a lower monthly payment. Do you consider the monthly savings difference in payment a "Return" on your $100,000? If you take that savings and pay down your mortgage faster, is it a double return?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,274,781 times
Moving money from liquid (cash) to illiquid (home equity) is not a gain.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 AM

263 posts, read 345,251 times
Well, this would be home equity (which is real money) i would not have unless i made the mortgage payment. that's the whole point, you start accelerating the pace at which you actually own your home and, when you sell it, the dollars you keep in your pocket.
M

Old 02-01-2016, 07:14 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,797,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
Well, this would be home equity (which is real money) i would not have unless i made the mortgage payment. that's the whole point, you start accelerating the pace at which you actually own your home and, when you sell it, the dollars you keep in your pocket.
M
Then your return is $106,225 and you found the money tree.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:59 AM

18,555 posts, read 15,651,586 times
Quote:
So I have been debating for several weeks whether I should pay a big chunk of cash into my mortgage principal... all the forums here have folks on each side of the debate. So I went to my amortization table and here is the best way to think about this issue PERIOD. Please check my logic and tell me what am I missing and let the debate begin:

I have a big mortgage... If I pay $100k today towards principal, instead of paying $23k in interest after 12 months, I will have paid $20k... that's $3k in interest that I didn't pay, money I didn't waste. Thanks to being able to deduct interest on my tax return, my tax bill will be reduced by roughly 25% of the $3k, so my real savings - money not sent down the drain - went from $3k to $2,250, but i still come out ahead.

In addition, after paying said big chunck, $100k, instead of paying $12k towards principal, after 12 months I will have contributed $16k. So that's $4k more of net worth, shifting money from one pocket to another.

SO adding the $2,250 plus the $4k, my return on the $100k paid on my mortgage is 6.25% the first year. This I much better than the 3.625% interest rate i am paying on my mortgage.

Two sides of the equation, need to be additive to one another.

What am i missing?
Why are you starting another thread on this - we already have one (and many more from further back).

And as far as your math - it is wrong. You are counting the interest savings twice.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:39 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,816,978 times
Quote:
M
Home equity is not real money, it is like a non dividend stocks where you don't get a return until you sell it. Then if you want to borrow money against your property using a HELOC, you'll have to pay interest. The maximum amount you can save on prepaying the loan, is the interest rate. Period. You can play mind games and compound that savings over 30 years. If that is the case, you might as well pay discount points.

Lets say you take home $100,000 and you put it in the bank. Now you want want to do $100,000 in improvements. You take that $100,000 and pay the $100,000 bill and left with $0.

If you put that $100,000 into your mortgage, then use the HELOC to pay $100,000, you now have $100,000 balance at lets say 5%. How long will it take you to save up another $100,000 to repay that credit line, in the mean time you have a variable rate of 5%.

This doesn't even take into account your equity disappearing as your neighbors lose their jobs and homes go into foreclosure again. Cash doesn't disappear out of your pocket, at least to FDIC limits, like it can in a house.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:45 AM

26,200 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Home equity is not real money, it is like a non dividend stocks where you don't get a return until you sell it. Then if you want to borrow money against your property using a HELOC, you'll have to pay interest. The maximum amount you can save on prepaying the loan, is the interest rate. Period. You can play mind games and compound that savings over 30 years. If that is the case, you might as well pay discount points.

Lets say you take home $100,000 and you put it in the bank. Now you want want to do $100,000 in improvements. You take that $100,000 and pay the $100,000 bill and left with $0.

If you put that $100,000 into your mortgage, then use the HELOC to pay $100,000, you now have $100,000 balance at lets say 5%. How long will it take you to save up another $100,000 to repay that credit line, in the mean time you have a variable rate of 5%.

This doesn't even take into account your equity disappearing as your neighbors lose their jobs and homes go into foreclosure again. Cash doesn't disappear out of your pocket, at least to FDIC limits, like it can in a house.

The savings from paying a large amount or entire amount of your mortgage isn't simply the stated interest rate because that rate is an annual charge. At the very least you'd save that rate more than once on some if not the majority of the 100k

Old 02-01-2016, 09:47 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,143,260 times
most of you are making the mistake of only figuring interest per year. Now my story~ took $93,000. and put it down on house I bought previous year. After 2 1/2 more years my home was totally paid off. Now instead of looking forward to years of house payments I'm able to enjoy a retirement I wouldn't be able to fund if I had not paid home off. Considering what just happened to the stock market I'm glad I made that choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance