Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:14 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times

Advertisements

ruin it for the people who are financially responsible/smart?

i was having this conversation with someone who is horrible with money and in so much debt despite the person making $200k per year. obviously some horrible decisions were made and this person lived beyond their means for quite some time. do these situations effect the people who are financially responsible with their money? if so, how? i was trying to make the argument that this person was ruining it for the rest of us but i didn't have any examples to support my argument lol so then i started questioning if that were true. i was just wondering what kind of ramifications this has on the rest of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 01:25 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,897 times
Personally, I only see advantages, even though this may sound a little heartless. All the deals you see with 0% intro APR on cards and 24 months deferred interest for Home Depot purchases are there because of those irresponsible people - credit card companies are preying on them. Which is sad, but those of us who know how to budget can take full advantage of them.
I have 1400 left on 4500+ I "borrowed" from Home Depot for my home improvement in July 2015. Will pay it off in 7 months, not a penny paid in interest. Would've had to take some other loans or defer repairs until I had that money saved.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Personally, I only see advantages, even though this may sound a little heartless. All the deals you see with 0% intro APR on cards and 24 months deferred interest for Home Depot purchases are there because of those irresponsible people - credit card companies are preying on them. Which is sad, but those of us who know how to budget can take full advantage of them.
I have 1400 left on 4500+ I "borrowed" from Home Depot for my home improvement in July 2015. Will pay it off in 7 months, not a penny paid in interest. Would've had to take some other loans or defer repairs until I had that money saved.
good point! agreed.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:56 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
ruin it for the people who are financially responsible/smart?

i was having this conversation with someone who is horrible with money and in so much debt despite the person making $200k per year. obviously some horrible decisions were made and this person lived beyond their means for quite some time. do these situations effect the people who are financially responsible with their money? if so, how? i was trying to make the argument that this person was ruining it for the rest of us but i didn't have any examples to support my argument lol so then i started questioning if that were true. i was just wondering what kind of ramifications this has on the rest of society.
If you own stocks, consumers are good for your bottom line.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:04 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Ruin it? Ruin what?

If we are just talking about people that have made good money, but spent just as much or more I think we all know a few. I think the only affect it has on me is increasing the way I don't want to share any financial information about myself. Always having lived under our means and now having retirement maybe right around the corner things will likely be pretty good for us, but not for some of our friends. I want to be able to enjoy my later years and think it would be more fun if our friends aren't financially limited. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:45 PM

211 posts, read 289,836 times
I feel that there are ramifications for other members of the society. As the careless/reckless members continue spending and not saving, they won't have anything left during retirement. It seems that the majority of the people belong in this group. When the majority is hurting, they will vote into government offices those who will favor them, hence it will ultimately hurt the prudent members as they will pay the price (taxes) to support the majority. This will seem to offset any small benefits you have gained over the years from the careless lifestyles of the majority.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Ruin it? Ruin what?

If we are just talking about people that have made good money, but spent just as much or more I think we all know a few. I think the only affect it has on me is increasing the way I don't want to share any financial information about myself. Always having lived under our means and now having retirement maybe right around the corner things will likely be pretty good for us, but not for some of our friends. I want to be able to enjoy my later years and think it would be more fun if our friends aren't financially limited. Guess we'll see how it goes.
I meant ruin the economy and maybe as far as society as a whole. Sorry i should have said that!

Old 08-26-2016, 03:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
I know a couple, both the husband and the wife have filed for bankruptcy twice---EACH. Now they finally have a successful $5-million-dollar business going with 32 employees. "Society" has benefitted from them.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:26 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Hard to say. We all have our anecdotes but we don't really know the broad swath of the general public's financial situation.

I can say that I recently bought a car and the dealers all reacted with this mix of befuddlement and amazement when I wanted to pay cash. Definitely changes the dynamic of car shopping. Leads me to believe that most of their customers finance.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 PM

199 posts, read 130,919 times
The problem with living below or at your means is the majority of people live above their means, which leads to living around people of a lower economic class/education. In that sense, they 'ruin' it for those who live within their means. Though in this instance I think 'ruin' is overly harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance