Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Don't forget your 15+% sales tax too though, that is more then double what we pay. I know it isn't called sales tax but I can't remember what it is called. Your federal and provincial taxes aren't all that different then what we pay in the US.
Our sales tax is 7% here in BC, and does not apply on groceries, children's clothing or other necessities. I addition to that we also have GST ( Goods and services tax ) of 6%. This tax replaced the hidden manufacturers tax a number of years ago. It was actually more then, but being hidden most were not even aware of it. It also is not charged on necessities. I wonder if the US has a hidden manufacturers tax?

GST does not apply on most used items, the exeption to this is vehicles sold by commercial dealers.

Taxes are very high on tobacco and booze ( sin tax ) as well as gasoline. The gas tax maintains our highway system which is very good, at least here in BC. I have no idea what is done with the "sin" tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Our sales tax is 7% here in BC, and does not apply on groceries, children's clothing or other necessities. I addition to that we also have GST ( Goods and services tax ) of 6%. This tax replaced the hidden manufacturers tax a number of years ago. It was actually more then, but being hidden most were not even aware of it. It also is not charged on necessities. I wonder if the US has a hidden manufacturers tax?

GST does not apply on most used items, the exeption to this is vehicles sold by commercial dealers.

Taxes are very high on tobacco and booze ( sin tax ) as well as gasoline. The gas tax maintains our highway system which is very good, at least here in BC. I have no idea what is done with the "sin" tax.
Well, here in the states, it (sin tax) must pay for new shoes for our politicions when they scuff them tapping them under restroom partitions!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, your taxes do not seem bad, especially knowing your insurance premium is $54. Does the premium change based on age?

Thank you so much for providing this info. Very interesting!
No the premium doesn't change with age, but taxes, federal, municipal and provincial decrease once you reach 65, along with a bunch of other perks like free ferry service on week days, a decrease in fees for public transit etc. etc.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
No the premium doesn't change with age, but taxes, federal, municipal and provincial decrease once you reach 65, along with a bunch of other perks like free ferry service on week days, a decrease in fees for public transit etc. etc.
I really appreciate your sharing all this info, b/c I truly was not aware of these specifics. I had written some articles on comparing the Canadian healthcare system w/ ours - but that has been over 20 years ago - and I think I was focusing on utilization statistics - and maybe technology (as in, purchasing).

I think the benefit of having taxes decrease once you reach 65 is very interesting. Now you have sparked my interest and I am going to have to research and learn more.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post and share.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
HSA's give tax breaks to people regardless of whether they're used to cover medical costs or not. It's primarily used as a tax dodge.
I don't see it primarily as a tax dodge... tax fee expenditures are limited to medical expenses until after 65.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I don't see it primarily as a tax dodge... tax fee expenditures are limited to medical expenses until after 65.
I agree. If you think it is a tax dodge then I don't think you understand how HSAs work. Plus there is an annual contribution limit of $5650 for families.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:23 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I agree. If you think it is a tax dodge then I don't think you understand how HSAs work. Plus there is an annual contribution limit of $5650 for families.
According to a Treasury Department webpage, indeed the limit is $5650, but it also talks about:

New Amounts for Out-of-Pocket Spending on HSA-Compatible HDHPs:

* The maximum annual out-of-pocket amounts for HDHP self-coverage increase to $5,500 and the maximum annual out-of-pocket amount for HDHP family coverage is twice that, $11,000.

Can someone explain this? It seems to mean that the account holder can put $5,650 in the account in a year, tax deductible, but may be liable for up to $11,000 out-of-pocket. So, hopefully no-one in the family will suffer hospitalization until at least until after two years of contributions to the account, plus two years worth of premiums of course.

So, while helpful, it still is no free ride and there are expensive risks involved.

I have heard that there are proposals to raise the contribution limit to $10,000 or $15,000. Ten thousand would make sense because it would match the maximum deductible amount. If $15,000 then the deductible limit should also be raised to $15,000.

Now that the US currency is like scrap paper, what's $15,000? Soon so-called "pharmacies" (what a joke they are in the US) will be charging $15,000 for that sugar water that they call cold medicine.

An exaggeration to be sure, but I think you get the point.

Last edited by bale002; 03-07-2008 at 01:35 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 03:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:

Ok, so 7+6 is 13%. I know it is higher in other parts of Canada. We have 6.5% sales tax here. No tax on food, clothing for anyone, prescription medications and other things that are necessities. Not all states are like this. In the US it is illegal to have hidden taxes. We also have sin-tax on tobacco and a gasoline tax that helps fund roads, etc.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
According to a Treasury Department webpage, indeed the limit is $5650, but it also talks about:

New Amounts for Out-of-Pocket Spending on HSA-Compatible HDHPs:

* The maximum annual out-of-pocket amounts for HDHP self-coverage increase to $5,500 and the maximum annual out-of-pocket amount for HDHP family coverage is twice that, $11,000.

Can someone explain this? It seems to mean that the account holder can put $5,650 in the account in a year, tax deductible, but may be liable for up to $11,000 out-of-pocket. So, hopefully no-one in the family will suffer hospitalization until at least until after two years of contributions to the account, plus two years worth of premiums of course.

So, while helpful, it still is no free ride and there are expensive risks involved.

I have heard that there are proposals to raise the contribution limit to $10,000 or $15,000. Ten thousand would make sense because it would match the maximum deductible amount. If $15,000 then the deductible limit should also be raised to $15,000.

Now that the US currency is like scrap paper, what's $15,000? Soon so-called "pharmacies" (what a joke they are in the US) will be charging $15,000 for that sugar water that they call cold medicine.

An exaggeration to be sure, but I think you get the point.
I see your point. But when you add up deductible plus the lower annual premiums for an HDHP it is still less than the lower deductible plans premiums and co-pays throughout the year.

Cash-flow could be a problem for some early in the year but over the course of the year the costs would be less overall.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I see your point. But when you add up deductible plus the lower annual premiums for an HDHP it is still less than the lower deductible plans premiums and co-pays throughout the year.

Cash-flow could be a problem for some early in the year but over the course of the year the costs would be less overall.
I agree, and what I'm saying is that I expect both the tax-deductible contribution to the HSA and the insurance deductible in the HDHP to increase over the years (the contribution already has an inflation mechanism attached to it), and on top of that the maximum contribution should be equal to the maximum deductible so that the participant is fully covered in the first year, at least for those who can.

Put in another way, the current contribution seems a bit low, and though it may catch up through the "official" inflation mechanism, actual inflation for medical services, premiums, and deductibles may increase at an even faster rate.

The HSA-HDPD system should do more, not less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance