Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times

Advertisements

So why are you all such conditioned sheep into never questioning the over-priced medical bills? That is where the problem lies -- not in the need for nor lack of insurance. The bills have been ran up to gouge US and medical, pharmco and insurance industry all profit from this. They have paid Congress and rest of the related government hundreds of millions to make this all possible.

They are all making bank by working together. Have you tracked how medical bills are marked down by the insurance industry before payment, but it still all profitable to medical and pharmco folks end? The whole thing is a fraud. Time to out-source around the crooks. The Mexicans are right -- nothing but loss in the whole mess and time to route around.

and Yes, I do not buy "health insurance." (a racket). We pay cash as needed and I will sue the @ss off any provider who tries to gouge us for paying cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
It doesn't matter whether you pay cash or credit. The insurance firms have contracted with the providers as to how much they will reimburse for their services. You won't get the preferential rates that they will. If you're willing to assume the risk of unlimited out-of-pocket costs and all you want is lower rates, a discounted medical plan is your option. It's not insurance but it's what you claim you want or what you need.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,438 times
Insurance always seems like a waste until you need it...

But with health care costs the taxpayers pick up the tab if you get sick without insurance. If you wreck your car without insurance then you are out of luck. There are plenty of problems with the health insurance industry but I believe that government regulations have led to most of those problems in the first place. I can't think of an instance where more government involvement as made a positive impact in an area that government made worse in the first place.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

and Yes, I do not buy "health insurance." (a racket). We pay cash as needed and I will sue the @ss off any provider who tries to gouge us for paying cash.
After blowing out my knee I had diagnosis, MRI, ACL replacement surgery, follow-up treatment and therapy until full recovery. The discounted cost to the insurance company was well over $35,000. People without insurance (or 40K) usually get to live without an ACL which is difficult, sometimes painful, although quite possible.

I agree that health care and insurance is not priced realistically but I have experienced enough issues with my health and my wife’s health that I will continue to fund the system.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 AM

38 posts, read 144,415 times
Cdelena - you make a good point in saying that 'the discounted cost to the ins co. was 35k.....if you didn't have insurance and were being billed 'private pay' the costs would probably be near 50k.

Insurance companies make 'contracts' with the health care providers over what they will be reimbursed for the 'care' they provide. Often times these rates aren't fair to the provider either, but they are often bullied into accepting what the ins co says they will reimburse them.

So the ins co's make their profits by charging us (the consumers) high premiums and reimbursing our doctors as little as they can. What a crappy system!

And an estimated 30% of all health care dollars goes to administrative costs....the dr offices have to pay people just to file claims and the ins co's have huge staffs who do nothing but try to find reasons to deny those claims.......what a waste.

Last edited by jessame10; 03-03-2008 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: one more thought

Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,693 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
...Something needs to be done.......

Personally I think that since hospitals/health care it is a service that everyone has the potential of using, all citizens should be required to pay into some sort of risk pool. Why is that such a liberal concept? it is common sense.

similar to what is done in Singapore and I noted that some US lawmakers are looking at their system.

personal pay for the minor stuff, contribute to a personal 'social service pool' (SS type retirement, healthcare...part of this is leverageble for needs such as buying an apartment) and have ins for the catastrophic. Another significant difference is in the costs... they are not a litigious society and Dr.s get paid a decent wage but not top $$ (nor have to pay $$$$ ins themselves)

The politicians get the big $$ there, but are purposed to serve the people, not the lobby. The country has come a long way in 40 yrs of independence tho the rules are a bit stiff for some. I've met many who choose to live their BECAUSE of the rules and security it gives their family.

US could us some intelligent direction in Healthcare, but not politicized... we seem to focus on making noise and blaming rather than actual solutions. (as usual, there is more said than done...)

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Are you kidding;auto insurance is a huge money maker.The vehicle is worh thousands less when you drive it out the door. Over three years the value depreciates quickly.They are never going to write you a check for more than the depreciated value. Why do you think there are numerous companies trying to get your auto insurance business.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Are you kidding;auto insurance is a huge money maker.The vehicle is worh thousands less when you drive it out the door. Over three years the value depreciates quickly.They are never going to write you a check for more than the depreciated value. Why do you think there are numerous companies trying to get your auto insurance business.

Because they also want to insure your house, life, and business. Auto insurance is not so lucrative when you consider the mega millions they pay out for personal injuries and deaths arising from car crashes.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,771 times
And the leading cause of bankruptcy in America is medical bills; and that was for insured Americans. There is a definite problem.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

Because in most states auto insurance is required by law. There are coverages available for new car buyers to cover that gap for the immediate depreciation of a new car too. Most dealers offer it but it is probably less expensive through your auto insurance company, under $100/year usually. You keep it on for a couple years until your car is worth what your loan is and then take that coverage off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance