Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,036,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Why wouldn't they? It was a Republican congress passing a Republican president's bill - It must've been a real hard sell ya' know?
I guess I have low expectations for politicians in general, regardless of party!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 7,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I am not trying to call you out. I am just making the point that you are going without insurance but if you have a major expense your choice is going to cost the taxpayers and probably not you (unless you have deep pockets). I think if you can afford it then you should have a major medial policy. If you don't then you are as much a part of the problem as you accuse me of being.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think the solution is to add more market forces into the industry. That is why I think HSAs are such a good idea, or at least a good start. That encourages people "like me" to ask questions about the price.
I think more people should cancel their health insurance.

Sorry, but I'm not throwing my money away on that racket. You can if you want, but I'm not. As soon as I go into the doctor, they'll raise my premiums to a point I can't afford them. And if I get seriously ill, they'll pull the plug on me and cancel my policy due to some "pre-existing condition."

I have a friend with a child. Her premiums for her and the baby were nearly $1,000 a month with a $4,000 deductible. Can you imagine? What is the point of that? Anyone who can afford $1,000 a month can afford to pay out-of-pocket.

These companies will squeeze every penny out of you. And they instill fear into people, so everyone is terrified to not have health insurance.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,469,305 times
Well then your expectations must be getting exceeded at the moment; I know mine are ...

Quote:
I guess I have low expectations for politicians in general, regardless of party!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:54 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,578,536 times
Quote:
#1 I have seen stats showing the opposite, ie, the number of people who die in Canada and the UK because they had to wait so long for MRIs or Cat Scans when they had cancer that the cancer was too far advanced to do anything once the imaging was finally done.

#2 Is that why there are Canadian companies dedicated to helping Canadians arrange medical services from the US?
1. I'm not saying it doesn't EVER happen, just saying it happens much more here in the US, that is what people don't get.

2. Your point hardly proves anything. Did you know that the same thing is happening in reverse but many US citizens are going to England for medical care. Heck many US citizens go to South America for medical treatment.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,922,277 times
Quote:
What I said is that an American should be able to access equitable health care & healthy food. Not so sure what is controversial about that. I mean technically one could say that falls under the concept of "right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,"
I suppose right after the Bill of Rights was passed, there was FREE food and FREE health plans for everyone... what do you mean there wasn't? You are stretching it BIG time by saying that...

Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
2. Your point hardly proves anything. Did you know that the same thing is happening in reverse but many US citizens are going to England for medical care. Heck many US citizens go to South America for medical treatment.
Foreigners come here because the quality of care is higher and because they can get tests and appointment sooner.

Americans go elsewhere because the cost is lower - sometimes because the quality is lower (South America) and sometimes because they can get other countries to pay for it (England). The morality of going to a foreign country just to stick those taxpayers for the bill is another subject. I guess if that country is dumb enough to pay for it... Heaven knows the US does it!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
b75

No you are stretching what I said to mean something else...but if that is all you have as an argument for our current health care system, then have at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I suppose right after the Bill of Rights was passed, there was FREE food and FREE health plans for everyone... what do you mean there wasn't? You are stretching it BIG time by saying that...

Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM
b75

I never heard of someone from the Netherlands coming to the US to access our higher quality of health care or to get an appointment sooner.

Quote:
Foreigners come here because the quality of care is higher and because they can get tests and appointment sooner.

Americans go elsewhere because the cost is lower - sometimes because the quality is lower (South America) and sometimes because they can get other countries to pay for it (England). The morality of going to a foreign country just to stick those taxpayers for the bill is another subject. I guess if that country is dumb enough to pay for it... Heaven knows the US does it!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I never heard of someone from the Netherlands coming to the US to access our higher quality of health care or to get an appointment sooner.
Yeah, me neither. Not sure why you brought up the Netherlands though.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
b75

Because they have universal health care & are a foreign country. They are also ranked higher then the US in terms of quality of medical care offered. I thought one of the issues was the problems that would be created by having a universal health care system and how citizens of other countries that utilize this type of system are coming to the US to receive our comparatively higher standard of care. And yet you don't here about people from there coming here for medical care.

Quote:
Yeah, me neither. Not sure why you brought up the Netherlands though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance