Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM

335 posts, read 1,536,022 times

Advertisements

I hate paying my health insurance premiums each month. I have a huge deductible and my fear is, well, if I really did get sick, they would drop me anyhow.

I don't trust health insurance companies.

(Note to mods: This is a biz issue since us self-employed are forced to pay for our own premiums.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 02:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 25,004,078 times
I have a high deductible policy and hate paying premiums as well but trust it will be valuable if I have a major medical issue. The one procedure I have had in the past ten years that cost a lot prompted many questions but paid without cancellation.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:45 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,506,885 times
I know quite a few legal Hispanics (many professionals) who tell me they don't "do" health insurance. They say it's money out the window. In the alternative, they use Hispanic doctors who charge them a low cash rate, use clinics who charge low cash rates, use public hospitals and go to Mexico for cheap procedures, cheap dental care, cheap medications.

They say if something major happens they are not going to be able to pay for their portion not covered by health insurance anyway and they might as well be indigent as far as being able to pay for health care. It sortof goes along the lines of the documentary "Sicko" which is about people with health insurance. If you can't pay for major medical issues with health insurance, what's the point of having it? (And what's the point of having it if your pre-existing is excluded?)

One Hispanic attorney without health insurance told me it's a cultural thing and that Hispanics just don't "buy in" to this whole idea you have to have insurance no matter the cost of the way too high premiums. Perhaps the masses have been frightened into paying exorbitant premiums by insurance companies?? People are scared to be without health insurance and then agree to pay $1,000/month for premiums out of sheer fear. It doesn't seem right to me. The health insurance industry is the next racket.

I wonder what would happen if everyone just cancels their health insurance?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I know quite a few legal Hispanics (many professionals) who tell me they don't "do" health insurance. They say it's money out the window. In the alternative, they use Hispanic doctors who charge them a low cash rate, use clinics who charge low cash rates, use public hospitals and go to Mexico for cheap procedures, cheap dental care, cheap medications.

They say if something major happens they are not going to be able to pay for their portion not covered by health insurance anyway and they might as well be indigent as far as being able to pay for health care. It sortof goes along the lines of the documentary "Sicko" which is about people with health insurance. If you can't pay for major medical issues with health insurance, what's the point of having it? (And what's the point of having it if your pre-existing is excluded?)

One Hispanic attorney without health insurance told me it's a cultural thing and that Hispanics just don't "buy in" to this whole idea you have to have insurance no matter the cost of the way too high premiums. Perhaps the masses have been frightened into paying exorbitant premiums by insurance companies?? People are scared to be without health insurance and then agree to pay $1,000/month for premiums out of sheer fear. It doesn't seem right to me. The health insurance industry is the next racket.

I wonder what would happen if everyone just cancels their health insurance?
I know legal hispanics who do the same thing. They do not pay for health insurance. They go to Mexico when they need drugs or antibiotics.

I hate the whole health insurance racket. Everyone keeps telling me I have to have health insurance. Why?

It's so out of hand.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM

789 posts, read 1,749,377 times
So what is the solution? A single payor health system? Something needs to be done.......

Personally I think that since hospitals/health care it is a service that everyone has the potential of using, all citizens should be required to pay into some sort of risk pool. Why is that such a liberal concept? it is common sense.

And I say that as a *republican* registered nurse. Over this issue, I am probably going to vote for a democrat president for the first time in my life.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:04 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,910,343 times
Well, while we are at it, why pay auto insurance, life insurance, mortgages, utility bills, lets have them all paid by someone else. It never ceases to amaze me that people take less responsibility with someone elses money (like politicians) then they do with their own money. I wonder how many of you will open your doors so that homeless people can get free stuff, simply because the homeless people don't want to pay for it, after all, its not like they going to keep it around the whole time...

Old 03-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Well, while we are at it, why pay auto insurance, life insurance, mortgages, utility bills, lets have them all paid by someone else. It never ceases to amaze me that people take less responsibility with someone elses money (like politicians) then they do with their own money. I wonder how many of you will open your doors so that homeless people can get free stuff, simply because the homeless people don't want to pay for it, after all, its not like they going to keep it around the whole time...
I think maybe you are missing the point. With auto insurance and utility bills, you often get what you pay for.

With health insurance, you do not. Premiums often are beyond what the neediest can afford. The whole health insurance industry is wrought with fraud. Health care companies often pay out bonuses to employees for canceling policies. Two articles for you:

Health insurer tied bonuses to dropping sick policyholders - Los Angeles Times

U.S. District Judge Approves Settlements From Health Net, Prudential in Physician Lawsuit

Also, many people simply cannot afford their health care premiums. Laws in states such as ME, MA, and VT say that insurance companies cannot refuse insurance to anybody. This raises the premiums for those with low risk. One example, a friend of mine with a 1-year-old in Maine cannot afford the $850 a month premiums to insure her and her baby, because she needs to pay the mortgage on her home and buy groceries first.

# # #

Old 03-02-2008, 07:16 PM

789 posts, read 1,749,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I did think this way......but with this argument, how do you explain the gov't programs that already do fund health care, such as medicaid, medicare, the Child health plan, state indigent programs.....the list goes on. Do you propose ending these programs? Also I don't think most people understand the extent to which they are used already by a large part of the population.

I am a RN. I see 'uninsured' people get medical treatment all the time without the ability to pay. If someone presents to a ER with a medical emergency, federal law requires that that hospital treat that person and make 'payment arrangements' later. For this reason, hospitals lose millions of dollars a year. they compensate for these losses by raising the fees for those who 'can' pay....and this also leads to higher insurance premiums. The system is falling apart.

And in my pp I said I think EVERYONE should PAY into a central risk pool to cover major medical costs.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
I think maybe you are missing the point. With auto insurance and utility bills, you often get what you pay for.

With health insurance, you do not. Premiums often are beyond what the neediest can afford. The whole health insurance industry is wrought with fraud. Health care companies often pay out bonuses to employees for canceling policies. Two articles for you:

Health insurer tied bonuses to dropping sick policyholders - Los Angeles Times

U.S. District Judge Approves Settlements From Health Net, Prudential in Physician Lawsuit

Also, many people simply cannot afford their health care premiums. Laws in states such as ME, MA, and VT say that insurance companies cannot refuse insurance to anybody. This raises the premiums for those with low risk. One example, a friend of mine with a 1-year-old in Maine cannot afford the $850 a month premiums to insure her and her baby, because she needs to pay the mortgage on her home and buy groceries first.

# # #
Hehehe... I never said the system that we have now is perfect. I can say that socialized health care will make the system even worse off. Cost of socialized health care? Considering everyone has to pay and there are no options otherwise, I end up on the losing side and so do otherwise healthy americans.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I did think this way......but with this argument, how do you explain the gov't programs that already do fund health care, such as medicaid, medicare, the Child health plan, state indigent programs.....the list goes on. Do you propose ending these programs? Also I don't think most people understand the extent to which they are used already by a large part of the population.

I am a RN. I see 'uninsured' people get medical treatment all the time without the ability to pay. If someone presents to a ER with a medical emergency, federal law requires that that hospital treat that person and make 'payment arrangements' later. For this reason, hospitals lose millions of dollars a year. they compensate for these losses by raising the fees for those who 'can' pay....and this also leads to higher insurance premiums. The system is falling apart.

And in my pp I said I think EVERYONE should PAY into a central risk pool to cover major medical costs.
Hospitals have to write off the costs when someone doesn't pay. It is also sick people who "share" the cost of those that don't pay. It is the healthy people who pay their premiums that get nothing but higher premiums with socialized health care..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance