Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 PM

31 posts, read 37,600 times

Advertisements

I am PA resident but work in NJ.
My W2 shows NJ state income tax deducted, this is on box 17.
Based on my understanding PA residents can get a refund for NJ state income tax. However my tax professional says, its on W2 so I have to file and pay the taxes due.
I think the line 14 col. B on 1040 NR should be zero, So I should be getting refund on taxes i have paid to NJ.

What is the truth about reciprocal income tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 12:56 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,798,704 times
Your understanding is correct and your tax professional is incorrect. You should file a NJ return requesting a full refund and file a PA return and pay tax on all of your wages.

You should also talk to your employer and ask them to correct how they handle your paycheck.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:48 PM

6,638 posts, read 7,380,088 times
Above is correct. There is a tax treaty between the two states and you pay income tax to the state you live in.
You should try and get your employer to correct the error with the states. They should get a refund from one and pay the correct state.

If you have to file a NJ return I would only list your w2 income and on the return and on some line I would deduct all of the wages and not Pa taxable wages so you owe no taxes. Before doing this I would call NJ tax number and ask for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance