Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:25 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,827,285 times

Advertisements

I met a woman recently who said she hardly eats out as its a massive waste of one's money regardless of enjoyment because she said you can cook it yourself at home for quarter the cost.

I disagree as I think it's an enjoyment just like anything else. I love eating out, love experiencing dishes cooked like I can never cook them or even care to spend the time and effort, experiencing the social aspect of it etc. I must've spent tens of thousands eating out in the last decade but enjoyed it greatly... why is this a waste of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 01:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,249,186 times
Depends. We all have priorities. If you have the money and want to spend it eating out, go ahead, but I hope you are also contributing to your savings account and retirement fund.

I read somewhere recently that millennials eat out 5 times/week on average. I'm guessing that most of the time it isn't some great cultural experience, but because it is easier. This is the same generation that can't find good jobs and can't afford to buy houses. In that case, yes, it is a waste of money.

We rarely eat out. It is usually for a birthday, anniversary, or because someone is visiting from out of town, or something. IMO, doing something really often makes it less special. How often do you eat out for the experience? It doesn't seem like something one would need to do very often. I guess what I'm saying is eating out once/month isn't a waste of money. eating out 5/week is.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:39 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,883,072 times
I go out for coffee which is $2.15 on a cup of coffee that costs the coffee shop about 10 cents. But then again, I like to get out of the apartment sometimes.

Other then coffee, I really don't like going to eat at all. Seems to be that many of co-workers without iron stomachs complain of digestive issues after restaurant lunches.

Working in large offices before, there is certainly a pattern of many people going to restaurants for lunch and paying $10-$15 and going to home sick. I can recall the sandwich and apple folks at work having the same issues.

I sometimes will have a multi-grain bagel which is usually about $1.20

Most restaurants seem to operate on a 25%-30% cost to menu price ratio. Grocery stores, which I worked at in the past tend to usually have a 65%-70% cost to customer price ratio.

For every $10 one spends at a restaurant, it costs most restaurants from $2.50 to $3 per item. For every $10 one spends at a grocery store, the store bought it for $6.50 to $7.00

If one spends $5,000 per year eating out, the restaurant likely paid $1,250 for the food while the grocery store most likely spent $3,500.

However, I never go out to eat. I pay about $70 a week in groceries myself but I eat lots of good quality yogurts, cheese and bread. I also eat alot of veggies and fruits which are quite a bit more here in Nebraska than in Arizona.

I notice that most quick-service restaurants tend to be between $10-$15 for a middle-tier, soda and sales tax.

Most sit-down restaurants when I have seen menu's on-line range from $10-$15 for a burger, fries and soda to $25-$30 for a steak or seafood with a side of food.

I have never understood the social aspect of eating out. I much prefer a home cooked meal even if it is simple that someone prepared over going out to eat.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:46 PM

88,866 posts, read 85,274,311 times
I am mystified as to why people say that. "It only costs XYZ to make that meal, but it costs so much at a restaurant!"

Well, DUH. You aren't going out to eat because by any stretch of the imagination you think you are getting a break on the price of food. You go out to have someone wait on you, someone cook for you, someone cleanup for you, to try new foods, to have a social evening, for many reasons. None of them are "save money".

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-01-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am mystified as to why people say that. "It only costs XYZ to make that meal, but it costs so much at a restaurant!"

Well, DUH. You aren't going out to eat because by any stretch of the imagination you think you are getting a break on the price of food. You go out to have someone wait on you, someone cook for you, someone cleanup for you, to try new foods, to have a social evening, for many reasons. None of them are "save money".
I guess it could be seen as entertainment budget. Not all eating out is entertainment. Some people eat fast food every day. That's not entertainment. That's waste of money. I'd rather spend my entertainment budget on concerts or live theater.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 PM

107,134 posts, read 109,467,196 times
we love eating out and devote a huge part of our discretionary budget . we have had some incredible dinners by the finest chef's in the world .

most expensive was last years dinner at the famous blue hill at stone barn on the Rockefeller estate .

the farm experience runs 550.00 without wine or 850 with wine pairing . dinner runs 4 hours and about 20 different dishes grown or slaughtered on the farm make it up . each table gets slightly different dishes .

we waited 1 year for a reservation for 2 and had to take a wed night at 5pm .

https://www.bluehillfarm.com/dine/stone-barns

Old 07-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we love eating out and devote a huge part of our discretionary budget . we have had some incredible dinners by the finest chef's in the world .

most expensive was last years dinner at the famous blue hill at stone barn on the Rockefeller estate .

the farm experience runs 550.00 without wine or 850 with wine pairing . dinner runs 4 hours and about 20 different dishes grown or slaughtered on the farm make it up . each table gets slightly different dishes .

That is definitely not the way the average person eats out.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:11 PM

34,159 posts, read 83,253,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374;48695370
I met a woman recently who said she hardly eats out as its a massive waste of one's money
...because she said you can cook it yourself at home for quarter the cost.
And on that basis... nutrition value per dollar etc she is absolutely correct.

Quote:
I disagree as I think it's an enjoyment just like anything else.
And on that aesthetic or entertainment basis you would be correct... just less absolutely.

Quote:
... why is this a waste of money?
Wrong question.

Try this: How CAN it be a waste of money?

Old 07-01-2017, 02:16 PM

50,450 posts, read 64,294,398 times
I think if a family eats out or gets fast food most nights it is a waste of money.
A superior meal in a lovely atmosphere is not a waste of money.
I have been in plenty of mediocre restaurants that were overpriced which were also a waste of money.
I just depends.

Atmosphere and ambiance are just as important to me as the food. It's more than just what a lamb chop costs.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:20 PM

50,450 posts, read 64,294,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

You know, I believe you when you say you enjoyed it, and it was worth it. To me, as a customer, I do not appreciate being lectured to about the restaurant's rules in order to dine there, so I'd probably pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance