Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 PM

129 posts, read 332,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Take the letters and your returns and go to the local IRS office and ask for help. They really can be helpful, especially if you go to them in person. Tell them you don't understand and ask if you can set up a new plan without all the penalties.

This is my favorite answer this is what I hope to do

I would like to set up a new payment plan without the penalty fees or at least lower them a lot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 07:08 PM

I thought I provided all of the information in 2015 I owe the IRS $3,400 I set up a payment plan and have been making payments ever since for $170 a month

In April I filed my taxes and this is just a ballpark figure I paid $3,000 and did not pay the other $2,000 and from April 15th 2016 to July 24th they want now $7,000

I made a mistake and was irresponsible the last couple years I admit that

I am in California H&R Block did my taxes and I will be at the office the first day they are open they're not open everyday

I will call the IRS I will even go to their office if I have to actually I would rather go to their office

I was just in shock that my $2,000 lack of payment turned into $7,000 in a matter of months that wasn't expecting that all ready for that

I'm happy that it sounds like from reading these messages that the IRS is not that difficult to talk to which was one of my questions answered

I am awake now and I am on it and going to take care of it

And this order I will go to H&R Block talk to the representative I'm not expecting much

I will find out where the local IRS office is and go there I will call first to find out their hours

I was not going to hire a tax attorney I was just going to pay for 30 minutes or an hour to have them look at my paperwork

I just always heard that you never wanted to talk to the IRS without knowing what you're getting into

I've never had to deal with any of this that's why I'm asking for help or info

or some who kows or have been through some thing like this

Old 07-04-2017, 07:22 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,288,431 times
OP, I think everyone has given some good advice on what to do from here. I just want to add that you might want to check your monthly tax withholding with your job. Perhaps you can adjust it so that you don't owe so much (or any) at the end of the year. Or are you self employed?

ETA: I hope that you've learned to never ignore the IRS. They won't go away!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Just an update everyone I have a meeting with H&R Block on Saturday to discuss the letters also today my goal is to make an appointment at the IRS and physically go there as soon as Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday of next week

Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 PM

683 posts, read 1,886,422 times
Hi. Just wanted to mention that the IRS is actually very helpful and you should not be afraid to call them. They want to help you understand exactly what you owe, and find a way for you to pay it to them.

As someone else mentioned, walking in to your local IRS office is also a good way to sort it out. Sometimes it helps to physically see what they are talking about on paper instead of just hearing it on the phone.

Also, it would be very unusual for a huge increase like that unless they found that you owe more money based on unreported or misreported income and they adjusted your return. If that happened, they would have sent you a separate letter detailing how and why they made a change. Do you recall seeing any other envelopes from the IRS come in the mail?

Lastly, do note that there are cases of fraud where letters are sent that look like they come from the IRS, but actually they are not. The best thing to do is call the IRS tomorrow and confirm that they did in fact send you that letter.

Good luck getting your issues resolved!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:47 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
This is my favorite answer this is what I hope to do

I would like to set up a new payment plan without the penalty fees or at least lower them a lot

Definitely. We don't have debtors' prisons. The people at the IRS are just people. If you approach them instead of making them come after you, they will work with you. They aren't interested in screwing you over. Take control of the situation.

This irrational fear of the IRS is what makes people fall for those ridiculous telephone scams where they tell you that you owe thousands and if you don't pay up, you're going to jail.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:45 PM

Just an update thank you for everyone that has helped me I couldn't of done it without this form

I went to H&R Block today do talk to someone

Me and my wife did our taxes in April the tax preparer could not read my 1099 statement

So I got another 1099 statement and our income tax was an amendment for that only

So this year we have 2 H&R Block envelopes

I brought three letters to H&R Block I am missing one of them

Right now it looks like there is a mix-up in the 1099 I'm only 52

My tax person is trying to find out why they have a decrease in credit for tax withheld for $5,300

The letter that I missing probably will explain that

My tax person went through the amendment and our taxes for 2016 and could not figure out what is going on all of our numbers add up

we could not figure out why there would be a decrease in credit for tax withheld for $5,300

I'm going to look for missing letter sent to me by the IRS

I have an appointment on Wednesday at H&R Block and we are going to call the IRS on the special IRS hotline to figure this all out

Last edited by countonme; 07-08-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,356,741 times
I have meet with the IRS. Most agents are helpful and their goal is to follow the law. That means that if the law favors your position they should tell you. However if you get an incompetent agent you could have problems. You can always end the meeting with the request to talk to a supervisor.

However from the series of posts I think you will be ok explaining your story and financial position. Good luck. Remain calm.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,589,360 times
It's also possible that you didn't properly annotate the check for the federal income tax return that it was intended and the IRS has credited the payment to the installment agreement for the delinquent taxes from 2015. It now has the appearance that you've paid nothing with the 2016 tax return. I would've gone to the IRS first after the returns, IRS notices, and the checks were properly organized and documented in a ledger for tax payments.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Hello everybody I am happy just an update I went to my tax lady and we call the IRS special hotline and worked it all out the IRS made a mistake by taking away my

Decrease in credit tax withheld

Hey saw all of my forms plus my Amendment and they are going to send me a new letter with a $300 charge instead of $7,659

I knew that I did not owe this money I'm not a deadbeat and I try to stay on top of these kind of things even though I had a couple rough years

I received this letter and got scared and without you guys who knows what would have happened I did not know where to ask it and I remember city data

This Fourm reminds me of like 2002 when you needed some information you would go to the top message boards and there was a lot of good people there
Thank you everybody for waking me up you guys are rockstars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance