Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 07:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times

Advertisements

I see that lots of folks either rely on rental income or are working to establish a rental income portfolio.

I understand the power of leveraging to get the home in order to be able to start renting, but the whole finding renter, maintenance thing seems like a big headache until the property appreciates enough for a quick sale.

Wouldn't dividend income be a reasonable 2nd choice?

my current favorite investment is a stock that invests in data center real estate. It throws ~3% yield and has been appreciating nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 07:43 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
dividend income can be the same as just drawing the same amount out of appreciation as long as you don't have transaction costs . i know i have none with my funds and etf's .

the flip side is the appreciation is taxed more efficiently then that dividend . you are taxed on 100% of the dividend amount , if the same 3% is taken from appreciation you are only taxed on the gains .

dividends also are not controllable . i could have qualified for a health insurance subsidy but the dividend income put me over the limit . generating an equal amount from appreciation would have given me a smaller tax bill .

either way can work fine depending on your situation .

Old 08-19-2018, 08:46 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
This site may help you. Introduction to Qualified Dividends...

Old 08-19-2018, 08:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Don't confuse (as many do) the very much retail and people focused Landlording business...
with RE investing and speculation.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I see that lots of folks either rely on rental income or are working to establish a rental income portfolio.

I understand the power of leveraging to get the home in order to be able to start renting, but the whole finding renter, maintenance thing seems like a big headache until the property appreciates enough for a quick sale.

Wouldn't dividend income be a reasonable 2nd choice?

my current favorite investment is a stock that invests in data center real estate. It throws ~3% yield and has been appreciating nicely.
You are right. Dividend producing securities are great, and if you have them in a tax advantaged fund, I think you may be even better off.
The issue is that the media is telling many poor people that they are "investing" in real estate when they borrow money and get a mortgage. They are no investing...they are just in debt. The only investor is the bank who is getting their interest while they do work and take on lots of risk.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:30 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
The problem with real estate is that if you only have a few properties and have to manage then your self this can be a lot of work and something you can not do as you get older.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:47 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Based on what op wants he is looking to hold a property long enough for it to,appreciate then sell and take his profit, right?
Buying for appreciation is a bit risky because the market can change and you can go upside down, especially with leverage. I wouldn't do it myself.
I invested with cash flow in mind and any appreciation is a bonus. Now if you are forcing the appreciation by buying low and fixing it up to retail value, then you are flipping and the timeline is faster. But waiting for a property to just go up can be risky.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:06 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
if i could sell the two remaining apartments we own i would be done with real estate . last thing we want in retirement is dealing with tenants , non liquid assets and unexpected bills .

we have liquidated everything we could th last 15 years .

Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Depend. Change your frame of references, objectives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

depends on what you want to get out of it. Our properties was purchase for longterm a hold, to be passed forward or a possible retirement home or home where DS can have a family. There are other reasons too.

Wouldn't dividend income be a reasonable 2nd choice?Maybe, their are tax reasons to hold rentals that dividend income stock investments do not have.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:40 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Real estate investing is not a passive income. Dividend income is much better suited to persons who don't have the time or the interest to deal with real estate details.

Residential tenants can be a lot of work. Commercial tenants are less work until they arent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance