Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:19 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,762,210 times

Advertisements

A buddy of mine has $45k left in student loans at about 5.5% with 7 years of payments left. He is thinking of borrowing $40k from his TSP which is a lot like a 401k but for Federal employees. He will have to pay it back to his own TSP over five years, while paying interest to his own account at the current G Fund rate which is 2.25%. The last $5k will be paid with savings.

I know one of the drawbacks of borrowing from a 401k is that if you leave your job before you pay it all back, the money borrowed becomes taxable. But it is unlikely a fed will leave the federal government.

I guess the main risk is missing out on the market continuing to go up at record rates, but we are due for a downturn.

It sounds like a good idea to me. What do you guys think? Any experience with borrowing from retirement accounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,782,138 times
Is there an additional tax penalty for early withdrawal? There is if you withdraw early from a 401(k).

He'll also lose ant gains as you noted and the effect of compounding. I think it's a bad idea. Who knows when the downturn will occur. If he wants to pay his loans off early, it would be better for him to take a second job and/or cut expenses. Federal jobs have been known to disappear if funding is cut. Borrowing against your retirement is almost never a good idea.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:51 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,675,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Is there an additional tax penalty for early withdrawal? There is if you withdraw early from a 401(k).

He'll also lose ant gains as you noted and the effect of compounding. I think it's a bad idea. Who knows when the downturn will occur. If he wants to pay his loans off early, it would be better for him to take a second job and/or cut expenses. Federal jobs have been known to disappear if funding is cut. Borrowing against your retirement is almost never a good idea.
A loan and withdrawal aren't considered the same thing. A loan as along as it is repaid doesn't have a penalty

Old 11-08-2017, 12:56 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,782,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
A loan and withdrawal aren't considered the same thing. A loan as along as it is repaid doesn't have a penalty
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:27 PM

17,720 posts, read 29,915,186 times
Do not do it.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,807,042 times
Sounds like a great idea to me. Lower interest rate, and he's paying himself the interest, instead of paying the bank. Honestly, if he could pay himself a higher interest rate, it would be even better.

I definitely agree with getting out of the market. We are SO due for a major correction.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post

There is no tax or penalty as long as he pays back the loan to his retirement account within 5 years. The payments are made via payroll deductions.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Sounds like a great idea to me. Lower interest rate, and he's paying himself the interest, instead of paying the bank. Honestly, if he could pay himself a higher interest rate, it would be even better.

I definitely agree with getting out of the market. We are SO due for a major correction.
You can only borrow 50% of your account balance or $50k, whichever is less. So he still will have skin in the game, but it seems like a good hedge against a market correction.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM

6,637 posts, read 7,377,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
A buddy of mine has $45k left in student loans at about 5.5% with 7 years of payments left. He is thinking of borrowing $40k from his TSP which is a lot like a 401k but for Federal employees. He will have to pay it back to his own TSP over five years, while paying interest to his own account at the current G Fund rate which is 2.25%. The last $5k will be paid with savings.

I know one of the drawbacks of borrowing from a 401k is that if you leave your job before you pay it all back, the money borrowed becomes taxable. But it is unlikely a fed will leave the federal government.

I guess the main risk is missing out on the market continuing to go up at record rates, but we are due for a downturn.

It sounds like a good idea to me. What do you guys think? Any experience with borrowing from retirement accounts?
No do not borrow.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
No do not borrow.
But he plans to borrow from himself... care to elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance