U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
 
11,827 posts, read 9,222,792 times
Reputation: 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s clear you haven’t spent much time in Casinos because there is zero truth in this statement. Casinos are predominantly dominated by 50+ year olds, you might even be able to raise the age to 60+ and it still be true

I disagree with both of you. You wind up with all kinds in a casino. Your older crowd tends (note, tends) to go more the slots direction. Middle age folks are generally craps, poker and the like and then the younger seem to gravitate more to sportsbooks, but also table games.



But, that's just non-scientific observation. I seem to notice those trends, but.. I'm certainly not surprised to see a 75 year old playing blackjack or a 20 year old playing slots.


Bingo, skews older, if you can still find that. Keno as well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Usually, the best odds are at the Craps Table. You can get 50/50 odds on one type of bet.



Pre-pandemic, we were on The Las Vegas Strip 3 to 5 nights/week going to shows & fine dining. Afterwards, Mrs. RationalExpectations frequently would play a penny slot machine. It was quite frustrating for me to watch:
her objective was to play until the money was gone.
One time, she put in $1, and on the first spin her total was $1.40. I said, "Great! Cash out now! You're up 40% on one spin!" That didn't go over well. She just plays until the dollar is gone.

Eh. Lots of games have different odds. I mean, roulette, if you're betting red or black is ALMOST 50%. I'd assume Even/Odd as well (How do they count 0 and 00 on that?)

Unless she's betting a penny at a time, how does that work? I've seen too many of the newer 'penny' slot machines that are like $5 a spin.

My dad and I, when he lived in Des Moines and I'd visit, we'd go out to Prairie Meadows when they had the horse races.. We just enjoyed watching the horse races, and. Hell.. Get a few free drinks by placing a few bets. My stepmother would play slots.. And she won damn near every time. It was friggin' uncanny. But.. About the only time they went was when I was in town.

I still have one of their slot machine tokens. It was worth the $1 to keep.

I know he told me that a stink got raised when they found out one of the office support people at the US Attorney's office got a job out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2020, 08:17 PM
Status: "Comfortably numb" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Victory Mansions, Airstrip One
4,395 posts, read 2,712,871 times
Reputation: 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Usually, the best odds are at the Craps Table. You can get 50/50 odds on one type of bet.
While I suppose that’s technically true, you first need to put money on either the pass line or the don’t pass line before getting the chance to make the true odds bet. The house has an advantage on either of those.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 PM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
8,756 posts, read 14,181,192 times
Reputation: 35744
My wife and I go to a riverboat casino not far from us once a year and we both only take $25 each with us. When that's gone, we leave. Most slot machines clean me better than a Bissell vacuum cleaner. The most either one of us has won, and all we play is the slots from a quarter down, is $225 for me and $300 for her. Two things that got to me was one trip we cashed out and were walking out the door. My wife thought she'd try a dollar in one dollar machine. First spin she was another $25. I lost a dollar! Another trip, I was sitting playing 2 machines next to each other. Lady was watching me and when I stopped playing one of the slots, she fed some bills in. Hadn't been there two minutes when she won over $400! Joked with her that she should share since I warmed up the machine pouring all my money in it. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 AM
 
67 posts, read 19,762 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife and I go to a riverboat casino not far from us once a year and we both only take $25 each with us. When that's gone, we leave. Most slot machines clean me better than a Bissell vacuum cleaner. The most either one of us has won, and all we play is the slots from a quarter down, is $225 for me and $300 for her. Two things that got to me was one trip we cashed out and were walking out the door. My wife thought she'd try a dollar in one dollar machine. First spin she was another $25. I lost a dollar! Another trip, I was sitting playing 2 machines next to each other. Lady was watching me and when I stopped playing one of the slots, she fed some bills in. Hadn't been there two minutes when she won over $400! Joked with her that she should share since I warmed up the machine pouring all my money in it. lol
In this example, you and your wife played once a year for $25 each, the most that you won was $225 and your wife $300. Even if you lost all in other years in the past 10 years, you still break even.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 AM
 
22,077 posts, read 16,075,301 times
Reputation: 17131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I disagree with both of you. You wind up with all kinds in a casino. Your older crowd tends (note, tends) to go more the slots direction. Middle age folks are generally craps, poker and the like and then the younger seem to gravitate more to sportsbooks, but also table games.

But, that's just non-scientific observation. I seem to notice those trends, but.. I'm certainly not surprised to see a 75 year old playing blackjack or a 20 year old playing slots.

Bingo, skews older, if you can still find that. Keno as well.
.

You can disagree but the gambling market is dominated by the 50+ age group
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2020, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,572 posts, read 24,664,033 times
Reputation: 36604
Red...no BLACK!...NO RED!...Arggggggh!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2020, 08:15 PM
 
12,588 posts, read 14,723,325 times
Reputation: 18770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Usually, the best odds are at the Craps Table. You can get 50/50 odds on one type of bet.



Pre-pandemic, we were on The Las Vegas Strip 3 to 5 nights/week going to shows & fine dining. Afterwards, Mrs. RationalExpectations frequently would play a penny slot machine. It was quite frustrating for me to watch:
her objective was to play until the money was gone.
One time, she put in $1, and on the first spin her total was $1.40. I said, "Great! Cash out now! You're up 40% on one spin!" That didn't go over well. She just plays until the dollar is gone.
I had a buddy on disability that would hit the Indian casinos..............to get a cheap $5 steak and play the penny slots. I went with him ONE time, he is playing penny slots.......WINS 4000 CREDITS, machine is wailing away lights/noises and then I realize that 4000 credits on a penny machine is $40!

I put $20 in a $1 slot machine, won $200 (180 net). Cashed out and said lets go, he claimed I should ride out my luck.....WTF are you thinking? Win was nice but the smoking alone gave me plenty of incentive to LEAVE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2020, 08:16 PM
 
12,588 posts, read 14,723,325 times
Reputation: 18770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can disagree but the gambling market is dominated by the 50+ age group
Yep..........20 yr olds don't have any money. The older women will literally blow thousands, they are the target group for the casinos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2020, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
28,926 posts, read 68,911,286 times
Reputation: 35346
My best gambling result was Craps. I was down to my last few dollars, so, I just placed one bet on the Come line trying to survive until my turn to roll and get a few more free drinks. By my turn, I had about $10. I made several bets and rolled and rolled. I am not sure how long it went on, but long enough people were coming over form other tables to watch. I ended up with $120. When I crapped out one guy who had been betting heavily on my rolls lost $15,000 that he had out on the table. He hollered 'thanks Shooter" and tossed me a chip which I stuck in my pocket and then went to watch my friends gamble. Sine I had recovered $120 of my original $200 I decided I was done. When I cashed out, I pull the chip out of my pocket and discovered it was $1000. A friend who was watching my rolls said the tipper guy made about $50K off of my long turn. That was the best net win I can remember, but it was not even my win.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,263 posts, read 5,720,400 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My best gambling result was Craps. I was down to my last few dollars, so, I just placed one bet on the Come line trying to survive until my turn to roll and get a few more free drinks. By my turn, I had about $10. I made several bets and rolled and rolled. I am not sure how long it went on, but long enough people were coming over form other tables to watch. I ended up with $120. When I crapped out one guy who had been betting heavily on my rolls lost $15,000 that he had out on the table. He hollered 'thanks Shooter" and tossed me a chip which I stuck in my pocket and then went to watch my friends gamble. Sine I had recovered $120 of my original $200 I decided I was done. When I cashed out, I pull the chip out of my pocket and discovered it was $1000. A friend who was watching my rolls said the tipper guy made about $50K off of my long turn. That was the best net win I can remember, but it was not even my win.
Nice guy! Fun story!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top