Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 627,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Says the junior college graduate! Haha.
No books here, just real world experiences.
And then a bachelors from a state university, followed by a Masters (MBA) from Kellogg, investment banking, Fortune 500 and private equity.

I started working at 14 years old and worked all through college. I took an entry level corporate job after getting my bachelors and my company paid 75% of my MBA. The rest, I covered. Yes, it was hard and I had no spare time, but I had no debt. My employers appreciated the fact that I worked my way through school. It gave me a competitive edge versus those with no experience.

What the “real world” wants are people that know how to work and make money, versus those that make uninformed comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Nc state does not compare to UNC.
Wrong. Big 4 hires from there. The last guy I hired in tax went to Deloitte after he graduated from NC State.

https://poole.ncsu.edu/mac/results/graduate-placements/

https://poole.ncsu.edu/mac/rankings/

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/page...on-campus.html

Last edited by Jim1921; 03-04-2018 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,266,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
And then a bachelors from a state university, followed by a Masters (MBA) from Kellogg, investment banking, Fortune 500 and private equity.

I started working at 14 years old and worked all through college. I took an entry level corporate job after getting my bachelors and my company paid 75% of my MBA. The rest, I covered. Yes, it was hard and I had no spare time, but I had no debt. My employers appreciated the fact that I worked my way through school. It gave me a competitive edge versus those with no experience.

What the “real world” wants are people that know how to work and make money, versus those that make uninformed comments.
Going back to the somewhat ‘one size fits all’ comments you made earlier in the thread concerning student debt, your Kellogg ego is apparent LOL

Old 03-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Going back to the somewhat ‘one size fits all’ comments you made earlier in the thread concerning student debt, your Kellogg ego is apparent LOL
You must not know many Kellogg grads as well as the typical profile of those that attend the evening/weekend program, which is different than the traditional full time program.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 4,982 times
Quote:

Are you sure you worked in private equity and received an MBA? Your understanding of debt vs. equity capital, opportunity costs, and financial leverage seems nonexistent from the comments I've seen you post so far in this thread.

Also, did you do a FTMBA or FEMBA? I would be willing to bet that well over 70% of people accepted to FTMBA m7 schools did not go to community colleges so even if your story is true, you would be an outlier.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bougie View Post
Are you sure you worked in private equity and received an MBA? Your understanding of debt vs. equity capital, opportunity costs, and financial leverage seems nonexistent from the comments I've seen you post so far in this thread.

Also, did you do a FTMBA or FEMBA? I would be willing to bet that well over 70% of people accepted to FTMBA m7 schools did not go to community colleges so even if your story is true, you would be an outlier.
It looks like you just started posting today (unless you created another ID). Perhaps you should take just a bit more time reading before coming out of the gate with questions and you might have figured things out. Frankly, I don’t care if you don’t believe my posts. I don’t post waiting for your approval, nor does it change facts. Further, you learn very early in your basic finance classes that you take on leverage when you have sufficient cash flow that ensures repayment of the debt versus speculation of having a certain level of revenue (income) after the fact. We see all too often that people speculate as to income level after graduation, only to find out that the market has changed, or their expectations were off. Need proof? Look at the current student loan situation.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:34 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,641,583 times
Debt is certainly a tool and like most tools it can be of benefit or be destructive. You can have a preference to no debt but you have to understand that at times it can put you at a disadvantage.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:42 PM

997 posts, read 853,584 times
Quote:

Jim, as someone else stated, "if it's true, your an outliner". Only 14% of junior college students get an undergraduate degree within 6 years. The percentage rises (obviously for students that already received there associate). 84.6% of freshman at u of Illinois graduate in 6 years, 90% of the ones that didn't, transferred to another institution.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:29 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,327,996 times
Quote:
For the first two years, it doesn’t matter what school you go to. You are only taking your basic classes. Most of the flagship state universities have programs that track directly from Jr. College into the State University. You will still get the same exact degree from the 4 year University, regardless of where you spent the first two years.

Here are a few examples:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loan...lus2-programs/
So two years of remedial high school in some local junior college magically prepares you for two years in a top undergrad program? Not anywhere I've ever seen. The curriculum is massively watered down and you're not covering anything like the material covered at a top school. I'm talking STEM. For an 'easy major'? Sure. If you're taking courses that require real math skills, you'll have to take them again.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,444,498 times
Mediocre But Arrogant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance