Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,867,649 times

Advertisements

as in low sales tax but high income tax?

Here in FL, there is no state income tax but we do have a higher rate of property taxes. I have considered moving to Tennessee. One of the reasons was due to their lack of income taxes like FL. The negative side of TN is the state has the highest sales tax in the country and it doesn't exclude groceries.

I am also looking to go to one of the Carolinas but they both have state income tax. However their rates of sales taxes are lower. NC has a flat income tax rate of either 5.49 or 5.75, (seen figures for both, not sure which it is exactly) with a sales tax of close to 7 percent. SC has a state income tax of 7 percent and sales taxes apparently range from 6-9%. It also appears Georgia recently lowered their state income rate down to under 6% recently. As for groceries, I think Nc has a 2 percent tax on groceries but SC exempts groceries.

I've read articles saying that states without state income tax have greater income inequality. Not sure how true that is though.

So which place would be better financially for a lower or middle class family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:33 PM

30,403 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Really depends on your situation. I live in Washington state which has no state income tax, high taxes on gas, alcohol, marijuana and mid level property taxes. If you are high income, it's fantastic but if you are on the low income scale, not great because the tax system is regressive and favor high income people. So you have a situation where low income people are paying a much high overall tax rate than high income people.

Oregon just below us has no sales tax, high income tax and medium to high property taxes. For lower middle class, this is a favorable arrangement but is not favorable for high income.

After moving from Oregon to Washington to add to much higher wages, I had no state income tax so the upgrade was massive. Since I'll soon retire, I would consider moving back to Oregon with a reduced income.

So in your situation, probably better in a high income tax state.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Easy. Find someplace on the border between a no/low income tax state and a no/low sales tax state. Live on the low income tax side and shop on the low sales tax side.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:18 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
as in low sales tax but high income tax?

Here in FL, there is no state income tax but we do have a higher rate of property taxes. I have considered moving to Tennessee. One of the reasons was due to their lack of income taxes like FL. The negative side of TN is the state has the highest sales tax in the country and it doesn't exclude groceries.

I am also looking to go to one of the Carolinas but they both have state income tax. However their rates of sales taxes are lower. NC has a flat income tax rate of either 5.49 or 5.75, (seen figures for both, not sure which it is exactly) with a sales tax of close to 7 percent. SC has a state income tax of 7 percent and sales taxes apparently range from 6-9%. It also appears Georgia recently lowered their state income rate down to under 6% recently. As for groceries, I think Nc has a 2 percent tax on groceries but SC exempts groceries.

I've read articles saying that states without state income tax have greater income inequality. Not sure how true that is though.

So which place would be better financially for a lower or middle class family?
Rule of thumb:

If you are lower class, minimize your sales tax.
If you are middle class, minimize your property tax.
If you are upper class, minimize your income tax.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 PM

30,403 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Easy. Find someplace on the border between a no/low income tax state and a no/low sales tax state. Live on the low income tax side and shop on the low sales tax side.
A lot of people do this by living in Vancouver, Washington and buying in Portlandia.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:29 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Rule of thumb:

If you are lower class, minimize your sales tax.
If you are middle class, minimize your property tax.
If you are upper class, minimize your income tax.

I don't know if I agree with this. At least for the lower class part of it. If you're lower class, you probably are not spending enough on things where the savings from sales tax will amount to anything meaningful. Lower class is probably still better off in a no state income tax state.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I don't know if I agree with this. At least for the lower class part of it. If you're lower class, you probably are not spending enough on things where the savings from sales tax will amount to anything meaningful. Lower class is probably still better off in a no state income tax state.
It depends on how the state taxes you. In some states you're taxed on the first dollar you make, in others there's a threshold below which you pay no income tax.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:32 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
It depends on your income, what is and is not taxed, and what you buy. In general I would think the income tax is most important. I would also be surprised if moving from Fl to place you though had lower taxes would be cost efficient due to the cost of relocating.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:42 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The lower classes basically have to spend everything that comes in to subsist.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 PM

782 posts, read 508,363 times
It is best to live in a climate you like, that's why I live in SoCal. Even with all it's problems, and there are many, I'm a native here, and have no plans to move, not yet, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance