Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:19 PM

332 posts, read 529,630 times

Advertisements

First, I'm planning to move back to New Jersey next month so I have a place to stay and my mother won't kick me out the house once she hears about this.

It all started in mid January when I received a letter from Discover that I owed them over $4,000. I called Discover and told them I didn't know anything about opening a card with them and I told them the purchase made on the card were not by me. They said I was fully responsible because why they had my mother's e-mail address, the account was in my name and they had my social security information. I gave the letter to my mother and I figured she would take care of it. She had since told me not to speak with or contact these people. Discover called me just about everyday until late March when I finally agreed to pay the monthly balance due so it doesn't affect my credit.

I figured I transferred all the information to my name. However, I found out my monthly payment for last month went through my mother's bank. The lady said she needed to speak with my mother for her permission to refund that balance and debit it from my bank instead, but now my mother got pissed off and told me not to give them her information. I honestly feel she is getting away with something that she should be her responsibility and not mine. Could I possibly lawyer up in this situation? If so, what's the process I should take? Thank you.

By the way, I currently live in Dallas, Texas.

Last edited by JMT; 05-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: I live in Dallas, not Memphis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 03:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,139,123 times
hmmm, that's a toughie

Old 05-04-2018, 03:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
First, I'm planning to move back to New Jersey next month so I have a place to stay and my mother won't kick me out the house once she hears about this.

It all started in mid January when I received a letter from Discover that I owed them over $4,000. I called Discover and told them I didn't know anything about opening a card with them and I told them the purchase made on the card were not by me. They said I was fully responsible because why they had my mother's e-mail address, the account was in my name and they had my social security information. I gave the letter to my mother and I figured she would take care of it. She had since told me not to speak with or contact these people. Discover called me just about everyday until late March when I finally agreed to pay the monthly balance due so it doesn't affect my credit.

I figured I transferred all the information to my name. However, I found out my monthly payment for last month went through my mother's bank. The lady said she needed to speak with my mother for her permission to refund that balance and debit it from my bank instead, but now my mother got pissed off and told me not to give them her information. I honestly feel she is getting away with something that she should be her responsibility and not mine. Could I possibly lawyer up in this situation? If so, what's the process I should take? Thank you.
First, stop ignoring the problem.You need to put a stop to this or it can ruin your credit.

I guess you think your mom opened this card without your knowledge using your info?

Identity theft is a federal crime, so tread carefully.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...-in-your-name/

Old 05-04-2018, 06:19 PM

332 posts, read 529,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
First, stop ignoring the problem.You need to put a stop to this or it can ruin your credit.

I guess you think your mom opened this card without your knowledge using your info?

Identity theft is a federal crime, so tread carefully.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...-in-your-name/
Well I don't think she purposely set me up. She just refuses to have anything to do with it.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,751 posts, read 18,101,092 times
I really can't tell what you're saying, especially about the part that now your mother will have to be forced to allow you to live with her.

Call the credit card back. Tell them you aren't making these purchases, and hadn't made any of the purchases.

And yes, your mother set you up if she took out a credit card in your name, with your SSN, and charged $4K to it and hasn't paid it.

You're not being clear enough with the credit card company if they tell you sorry, you owe it dude.

Unless of course you're not dealing with the credit card company, but rather a debt collection company that has bought the debt from the Discover company for 1% of the debt and doesn't care at all if they are harassing the wrong guy.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Well I don't think she purposely set me up. She just refuses to have anything to do with it.

What do you mean you don’t think she set you up? If she opened a credit line with your information, without your knowledge and used the line she did purposely set up up and committed a crime in doing so

Old 05-04-2018, 07:23 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,303,326 times
I'm a tad confused.

Is the short story your Mom setting up an account with your personal information and racking up >$4,000 debt? If that's the case, start paying the minimum balance immediately and stay on time until you figure out if legal action is necessary. Also, cancel the cards so no more damage can be done.

If $4,000 is a family deal breaker, then take her to small claims court for the $4,000 to be paid to you so you can pay the debt off. If you strive not to break up the family, start talking to get to a solution together.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Quote:
So how does she explain using your info to open a new card?? That doesn't magically happen.

Take action to save your credit.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
Dude, she stole your identity! Tell her she either pays the bill in full immediately and cancels the card or you're filing charges. And then freeze your credit to prevent this from happening again.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,042,492 times
I'd recommend that you call the police and file an identity theft complaint. Then send a copy of that to Discover and all three credit reporting agencies and say that this debt is a part of identity theft. They will take it off your report. Then also ask them to place a note on your credit reports freezing it unless they call you at a specific number to verify it is you.

Once it is identified as identity theft with the police report the issue should go away....and the police can deal with your mother, and you may get restitution funds to make you whole, not pay the bill but recover what you already paid on the bill. And your mom will pay into the restitution fund that the DA controls to pay you back and pay Discover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance