Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:52 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pays $1,630 a month in student loans, and makes $2,200 a month. Net $570 a month.
Yeah, I saw that one. It doesn't even make sense. My wife has 40k in student loans and her payment is only $400. As far as I recall you can only take out about 40k for undergrad (for government sponsored loans), so the person must've gotten some real crappy private loans.

Anyhow, CNN has been doing these sorts of stories over the last few months and they are just annoying. We are suppose to feel sorry for the people, but all the stories sound real fishy. I suppose people can now blame their failure on the economy and its all okay, its the governments fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Yeah....I was wondering if they were stories to make people feel better about their situations..."Gee, at least I'm not as stupid/poor/crazy as "this" person."

I think...if it was me....and my gas bill was 800 bucks a month...I'd skip buying the dog a tiara. Maybe it came with the dog.

Bwahahaha, that was funny.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Maybe it's time for wifey to get a job, does she have one?

Old 03-30-2008, 04:54 PM

250 posts, read 932,791 times
I understand that the tiara may be plastic, but it still leads me to believe that they are buying other cr@p that they don't need; hence the $17,000 in credit card debt!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 PM

76 posts, read 262,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Taking advice from CODEPINK?! These are the same people who protest volunteer recruiting stations and interrupt congressional sessions with temper tantrums. They're to be taken as seriously as Barry Bonds denying steroid usage.

But I digress It's obvious the couple didn't budget their money or lives very well, and are now suffering the consequences. Sure, the credit card people are sharks and leeches, and theres always some new fangled gadget to be wanted. But in the end, it all comes down to the person swiping the plastic to buy the i-whatever.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
You all are just buying into too much of the rightwing's meme of "self reliance" and "responsibility". You don't know everything about these peoples' life stories. Maybe they've had medical problems they had to put on credit cards, who knows.

It is very tough out there right now, especially people working blue collar jobs or anything that involves owning large vehicles. Here in Florida, while the illegal mexicans have mostly left the industry, the gardeners and landscapers are being hit by rising fuel costs and slumping demand due to the housing bubble bursting. If you run one of these businesses, you need a truck that gets, at best, no more than 20 miles per gallon in city traffic. That could be hundreds of dollars right there a month in gas.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
It's not like me. I don't have ANY debt, including mortgage and car payment. NONE.

I don't make my dog wear tacky decorations either.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
You all are just buying into too much of the rightwing's meme of "self reliance" and "responsibility". You don't know everything about these peoples' life stories. Maybe they've had medical problems they had to put on credit cards, who knows.

It is very tough out there right now, especially people working blue collar jobs or anything that involves owning large vehicles. Here in Florida, while the illegal mexicans have mostly left the industry, the gardeners and landscapers are being hit by rising fuel costs and slumping demand due to the housing bubble bursting. If you run one of these businesses, you need a truck that gets, at best, no more than 20 miles per gallon in city traffic. That could be hundreds of dollars right there a month in gas.
I didn't know this thread was to turn political...

Today's so called right wingers are closet Leninists. Massive medicare drug prescription programs to buy elderly votes, Soviet-esque workers movements vis-a-vis illegal immigrant labor, on and on...

While people deserve sympathy from non-profit charity and local organizations, this recent onslaught from the media is nothing less than trying to cozy up people to the idea of a bailout from DC central command. While raising an assertion that the gobbermint is lobbying the media for frog in boiling water approach might be conspiratory, it's rather convenient that efforts currently resisted by neo-bolshevists are becoming increasingly likely.

Picture says a thousand words.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
"Like most people"...lol Most people have $17k in CC debt? If so I do feel sorry for them for being so stupid! I read another article on CNN Money today about the couple that lost their sub-prime mortage jobs. To save money the guy taded in his corvette for a suburban? Are you kidding me?

They also have cut out their gardener...lol

Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
While my wife and I have credit cards, and we use them for just about everything, we pay them off EVERY month and NEVER waste a penny on credit card interest. Neither of us would qualify as financial geniuses, but paying interest to a credit card company makes no sense even for people like us with little financial savvy. Our only debt is the mortgage, but the interest rate is less than the current inflation rate ( not the government rate, but the real inflation rate that includes food and energy where real people spend alot of money), so our REAL housing cost goes down every year. Additionally we live in an area where real estate is still appreciating, so I'm OK with the mortgage debt.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-31-2008 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance