Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,733,812 times

Advertisements

These are tough economic times, forcing millions of Americans to do everything they can to save money.

ABC News: How Long Could You Go Without $$?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 PM

6,896 posts, read 11,291,158 times
Smile Do they mean...

Groceries also? I just spend the regular stuff but if it means forgoing movies, Starbucks, hey, I'll do it.....where do I sign? Also, is this a paid trip to NYC? I can see my daughter! YAY - and stay with her!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 PM

37,610 posts, read 61,705,787 times
In the past year, I have done that many times.

Two weeks without spending any money is no big deal.

Once a month we check our bank deposits from our apartment manager, and we send in the check for that property's mortgage. Then we pay for the CC. We pay the utilities on our home. Then the check book goes back in the desk for another month.

Once a week Dw fills her car's tank [though we store a month's gas at home]. So she could continue commuting to work for a month without buying fuel.

We usually buy grocerys and livestock feed once a month.

If we thought about it, we could easily schedule to do all of a month's spending in three days. Then we could go three and a half weeks without spending a dime.

Now I do go to the Farmer's Market once a week and sell produce. So I do tend to collect a bit of cash each week in my bankroll. I might swing by a bank just to swap the cash around to keep the right ratio of 1s, 5s, 10s, and 20s in my bankroll. Just so that at the next week's market I can always make change for folks.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:15 PM

859 posts, read 3,327,449 times
I don't get this...

Where do you get food from if you can't buy anything? Do they allow you to stock your house with a certain amount of stuff before starting??

Then there almost is no point...you are just buying in bulk in advance...the same stuff you may have bought in smaller trips. They need to explain it better.

Unless they expect people to grow food or something...in which case I would never last LOL.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,771,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In the past year, I have done that many times.

Two weeks without spending any money is no big deal.

Once a month we check our bank deposits from our apartment manager, and we send in the check for that property's mortgage. Then we pay for the CC. We pay the utilities on our home. Then the check book goes back in the desk for another month.

Once a week Dw fills her car's tank [though we store a month's gas at home]. So she could continue commuting to work for a month without buying fuel.

We usually buy grocerys and livestock feed once a month.

If we thought about it, we could easily schedule to do all of a month's spending in three days. Then we could go three and a half weeks without spending a dime.

Now I do go to the Farmer's Market once a week and sell produce. So I do tend to collect a bit of cash each week in my bankroll. I might swing by a bank just to swap the cash around to keep the right ratio of 1s, 5s, 10s, and 20s in my bankroll. Just so that at the next week's market I can always make change for folks.
I get paid every two weeks. We buy a bit of gas, some food at the market, and all that lasts for two weeks until we have to go out and do it again next paycheck. Rent costs half a month's salary, so we're really not spending all that much to start with.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 PM

469 posts, read 1,875,091 times
I've done it before. The only thing I spent money on was gas and food (I need to get to work, and I need to eat to live).

But I still really don't get what GMA is trying to do. Are they talking about not spending money on non-essential things or just not spending money PERIOD?

What happens if your mortgage payment is due within that two week period? Would it be considered "spending money" sending in the payment? Do you wait until the two week period is over before making the payment, or start the period when the mortgage isn't due?

What happens if your car runs out of gas, do you not have a car until the two week period is over?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 AM

23,667 posts, read 70,774,022 times
I guess the folks at ABC have never met any wilderness campers...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM

732 posts, read 4,163,913 times
I could go a long time. I got about 5 years worth of money to last me in the bank and I'm not even 30 yet. And this is living upper middle income.

When you're single, no bills, and making good money you can save alot. People need to realise this.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:16 AM

5,644 posts, read 25,018,460 times
How silly is that ABC question... is this a guess about how much we have stored, if we can barter for goods and services, how active we are? IMO it is just an example of substandard journalism.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 AM

281 posts, read 1,057,191 times
Hmmmm a very long time. I have land in Maine. Going back to harvesting and hunting. I can live off the land. It would SUCK, but us Mainahs know how to survive. I would have to stock up on my Allen's Brandy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance