Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 05:39 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,533 times

Advertisements

My wife has retirement savings from three different former employers and one of them (John Hancock) is ending her plan so she needs to roll it over. We want to roll over all three accounts to start an IRA with a new institution. The total amount is about 40K, so she should meet most minimum balance requirements. Right now she is doing freelance consulting work so she does not have an employer sponsored plan. 2019 has been a very lucrative year for us so we do not want to cash out and pay taxes at the 32%+ rate.

We are looking for something that is minimal hassle, as we have very young kids and our time is very valuable right now. Anyone have experience with a Charles Schwab or Fidelity rollover IRA? Those are the ones that were recommended to me by a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 06:08 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
I've rolled them over to Fidelity with no issues. Very happy with Fidelity but Schwab is respectable, too. Do you have a local office of either nearby? The reason I ask is that some plans will send you a check- made out to the new brokerage, not to you, so it's not taxable- but then you need to get it to the new brokerage. (It lets the old plan hold onto your money a little longer.) Depositing it locally would be more convenient than putting it into the mail and hoping it gets there.

In general, most brokerages are VERY helpful when you ask them to get your money from another brokerage! So, you should start with a contact to Fidelity or Schwab and they'll take it from there.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:24 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
I have rolled over two 401Ks from two different employers in the past to my own IRA accounts, and had no problems with the process or triggering any tax consequences.

After I left my first long term job of 20 years, I moved the entire 401K to a rollover IRA at my brokerage firm. I set up a new rollover IRA just for the funds from employer #1 401K. I made sure that the 401K funds were wired direct to the rollover IRA account. The funds never came to me as a check, to completely remove the risk of triggering a taxable event.

After I retired from my second long term job that also had my 401K #2, I set up rollover IRA account #2 at my brokerage firm. I had the funds wired direct from 401K #2 to rollover IRA #2 to avoid the chance of tax issues. If any tax agency ever asks where the funds in my two tax sheltered rollover IRA accounts came from, it will be very easy and clear to prove, because the funds of each IRA came from just one 401K balance.

Note, I have used Schwab, and they are excellent with local offices in many larger cities in the US.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:24 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,543 times
i like fidelity . the reason being it automatically parks your cash in money market in between your trades while still have instant access to use it to trade (SPAXX - right now about 1.8% APY a year, yes i know its falling, better than nothing). Whereas other brokerages i used, Etrade and Ally, the cash in investment account is not earning interest at all; so i have to actively buy into a fund, or move it into a savings account to gather interest in between my trades - and that can mean a day to transfer between accounts, which is bad if i need to trade right away. Fidelity stock trades are $5 (plus extra for ETFs). Theres a bunch of no fee ETF's Mutual funds to select from.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:14 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
Fidelity or Schwab should be easy. You can call them and I think they will do the rest. The money should not go to you but directly to your IRA broker.

Also asked about self-employment options if you think you will exceed the IRA annual max's. I think they are called self employed 401k's.

Also consider using a ROTH for future contributions

Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Fidelity or Vanguard or Schwab.
Low cost index fund.

Pick the one you feel most comfortable with:
telephone communications
website
local office (if they have one)

Old 08-28-2019, 01:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,955 times
Call Fidelity and they will take care of it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance