Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 PM

27 posts, read 18,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm sorry to say that by age 29, the question, "How do I save enough to move out" - should probably be, "What, besides winning the lottery or finding a bag of money on the street, has 'REALLY' kept me from moving out this long?"

Unless you are disabled, the fact that you have remained unskilled and in a minimum wage job and living with someone else for this long speaks to a lack of initiative, motivation and an unwillingness to grow-up and get off the gravy train. IF you are disabled, we should be having a different discussion.
Do you really think 29 yrs.old is too old to still be living at home and not have any skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Hi Sora,

Boy do I sympathize with you! When I was that age, I struggled to seek steady full-time job and I really wanted to get out and own my own home, and the sooner the better, because of abuse from my mother.

I worked two jobs (sometimes three), but the income was so low. I diversified my skills as much as I could, but the problem was lack of connections. I networked, but I found no one was willing to help unless you are related to them. I didn't realize that close relatives was going against me behind my back!

Please try your best to diversify your skills so that if you lost an office job, you could easily apply for labor job or retail.

That is my best advise, after my experience and just do it. Make sure you have a good support system, which I never had. It makes a world of a difference!

I wish you all the best!
I have zero connections , Resources, and l also have untreated ADHD, Schizophrenia, Bipolar and other mental disorders as well

Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Sora,
What do you do when you're not working?
I do nothing at all. I do not have a car. I could no longer afford the car note.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:41 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora7 View Post
Do you really think 29 yrs.old is too old to still be living at home and not have any skills?
For someone who doesn't have significant disabilities, yes.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Default years

Quote:

Life and job skills are required to live on your own. In light of your various disabilities, you should probably seek the help of your social worker for this. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
I have zero connections , Resources, and l also have untreated ADHD, Schizophrenia, Bipolar and other mental disorders as well

I think most people do not understand the hurdles that one must overcome when dealing with serious psychiatric impairments. A severe mental illness can definitely put limits on a person's financial stability. And so, the question is, How stable are you?

The mind is all we've got controlling our every decision and actions in life. I recall reading somewhere a while back about a guy who lived completely in an iron lung and was a successful attorney practicing from the iron lung. A person doesn't necessarily need a functioning body to succeed, but one must have a well-functioning brain to perform even the most menial tasks required in the lowest skilled jobs. Sure, you can get hired at the nearest fast food place, but if you can't flip those burgers to order and deliver as the boss demands quickly and consistently each and every day, then you're not going to have that job, or any job, for very long.

You say that you have zero connections and resources. Does that mean you have searched around for a vocational rehabilation office near you, counseling services, and other forms of support services such as a social worker? If not, those places might be a good start and from there, you might be able to find help with getting out on your own.

Best wishes to you.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
I want to move out and move into an apartment and be good financially but I'm 29 but i work at a minimum wage job and I have no skills at all. Any advice?
You are not going to be able to have an apartment to yourself, plus food and health insurance, plus incidentals, if you are only making minimum wage and have no benefits. Something has to give.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
You have all those disorders, but are leaving them untreated? Have these all been clinically diagnosed?

Old 06-19-2019, 11:51 AM

962 posts, read 612,806 times
My gut says this thread isn't real. Anyone else feel this way?

Sorry if I'm wrong.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:59 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I don't think there's a real answer for this. I see people who make minimum wage live with 4 other people in an expensive area. Or I see people who still live at their parents house making 6 figures. I really wouldnt want to be living on minimum wage in an expensive city but people make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance