Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:04 AM

26 posts, read 11,278 times

Advertisements

I've just left a comment on this thread saying that talking about the money is a taboo because we were educated in this way. And the idea to create this thread almost immediately arose in my mind.

I have a little son and the question about how to correctly educate your child about the money is of great interest to me. I'm subscribed to different financial blogs and try to heed the experts' advice in this regard, but I'm just curious to hear the stories/opinions from the parents especially those whose children have already grown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i have been talking financial topics to my kids as soon as i think they could absorb anything. i will always be doing it and i want my daughters involved in my financial decisions (and i want to be involved in theirs throughout their lives).

Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethBee View Post
I've just left a comment on this thread saying that talking about the money is a taboo
Taboo to who?

Quote:
....and the question about how to correctly educate your child about the money...
Like most of all the other life lessons they need... steadily and consistently using terms they'll understand.
(just as we all should do with sex and death and all the rest)

Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
When they are young you can teach basic math with money, and link that to value of products, and how money is obtained. Don't ignore questions about money. You don't have to go into specifics about household finances but definitely educate them on financial responsibility, budget, etc. Open a kids bank account so they can save birthday checks and piggy bank coins, have them balance their account.

When they are teens and start making money, offer to chip in to fund their Roth IRA. So if they make $2000, offer to put in $1000 if they save $1000. Change the ratio to whatever you feel comfortable. Explain the power of compounding over time, pull up an online calculator and show them how investing early in life can offer a huge return when they retire.

Add them as an authorized user on your credit card account to establish credit history, provided you have good credit. You don't have to give them the card until you feel comfortable, but it's much better to learn how to handle this when they are under your roof than when they are out on their own.

There are lots of opportunities to teach kids about good money habits, don't avoid them and most of all you need to exhibit good habits since they do pick up a lot from you unspoken.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
I’m going to give my kids $100 for their birthday but then charge them convenience fees and interest until they’re drowning

And then I’m going to charge them advisor fees to get out from under it.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I’m going to give my kids $100 for their birthday but then charge them convenience fees and interest until they’re drowning
haha that reminds me of the dad tax that i levy on all candy they bring to the house.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha that reminds me of the dad tax that i levy on all candy they bring to the house.
I hope you don’t take the Reese’s, you monster

That kind of taxation without representation is the stuff of revolutions.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I hope you don’t take the Reese’s, you monster

That kind of taxation without representation is the stuff of revolutions.
haha the tax is extra heavy on reeses and pretty much 100% on butterfingers.

if they wish to fight me for the butterfinger, i welcome the challenge.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:04 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,935 times
We started to talk with my son about money when he was around 4 or 5 so he could understand that most things cost money and it takes work to earn money. Back then we let him know that if he does some chores such as clean up his toys or help one of us out by listening. Now he is 9 and realizes that it takes money to buy something. It's fun to see that he likes to save money that he gets as presents, completing chores or even finds money on the street. He will save it and sometimes decides that he wants to buy something on his own. It's usually small things, but it's nice to see him aware of finances. We have opened a savings account for him so he know he can go to the bank and deposit money. He decided that instead of us putting cans/bottles in the recycle bin, he can recycle them and get money for them. So he set up a bin at home to collect all empty bottles/cans and once the bin is full we take them to Costco to exchange for money.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:22 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
We starting discussing money with our kids as soon as they could comprehend some of the ideas.

Much like would told our kids how many sleeps until they see Grandma or how many Arthur episodes the ride is, we began describing how many hours/days/weeks we had to work for something. The mortgage was one week of Mommy's time at work, the new car was a day of Daddy's time at work, vacation was a month of both Mommy and Daddy working....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance