Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:05 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Should have told her it was for your dog, probably her head would have exploded.

Vt...

A HEARTY LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Love it.

Of course my calling her a b**ch while referencing the Bible MAY have been blasphemy!!!

But separately, while I am here, IF a person, couple or family IS on food stamps, its not like they are raking in the dough.

I THINK its $125/person, but each additional person's part is reduced as more people are added to the account. Could have gone up by now.

So person 1 gets $125/m, person 2 gets $100/m, person 3 gets $75/m, for a total of $300/m for that family. That is due to the fact that if say, a can of carrots is opened, it wont be eaten entirely by 1,person so all 3 could share it, requiring less $$ as the number of people in a family increases.

AND, don't forget, IF they run out of food for human consumption as the food stamps run out also, they WILL have to pay cash, charge food, or go to a food pantry for more food!

And SHOULD they have pets, need to buy TP or laundry soap, they DO have to pay cash for it.

But, YES it DOES Irk me that people who should not qualify, and have plenty of assets get SNAP too, whether they are getting SNAP by foiling the system, OR because they draw off so little of their assets in cash to appear to he *low income*, all while enjoying a pina colada from the deck of their private yacht in a members only marina.
Maybe now those people will be, in Suze Ormans words, DENIED.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Should have told her it was for your dog, probably her head would have exploded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we were on line at the supermarket and the women in front of us went over her ebt card limit ... i paid the shortage for her
That was very kind of you, mj.

You may not know her story, it could be rough.

Great on you for 'paying it forward!!!

( will you pay for my grocery shortfall???)
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2019, 06:55 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Good for you. I am saying is that I have never seen anyone using EBT.
Same here. I don't know what it looks like, but I also find it perplexing that people look to see how other people pay. Kind of intrusive.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
So we should ignore theft and cheating by individuals on a small scale because there's bigger cheating going on. Umm.... OK. Try sneaking a protein bar into your purse at the grocery store and not paying for it and using that rationalization on the store manager. Let us know how it goes.
This.

Although, no one prosecutes shoplifting anymore either. So you actually CAN steal a protein bar and absolutely nothing will happen.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:15 AM

949 posts, read 572,323 times
The rich regularly hide their money and this trickles down to other criminals.
Each year the limits are reviewed and changed by the feds.
If you want to know the truth about the system look to the retailers since they are benefiting tremendously off of the system and are not interested in it declining anytime soon.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I don't know what it looks like, but I also find it perplexing that people look to see how other people pay. Kind of intrusive.
To know what it used to be, see my previous post on the previous page.

Now it is likeca credit card. For NY, Its white with black and blue ink on it, that has BOG LETTERS: EBT on it.

They have at least a magnetic strip on the back, and may now have the chip&pin pad on them now.

WHEN ONE USES it it is apparent with the BIG EBT on it it is a food stamps (and cash back for living expenses and may also serve as a Medicaid card).

You might live a better environment, but stores near NYCHA probably see LOTS of them.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:52 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Not in my area, not in my state.

ANY purveyor of foods for human consumption can get the status to take EBT.

When I was homeless living under a bridge next to the RR tracks, I had food stamps, actual engraving printed "dollar" denominations, of $1, $5, $10 for sure, I don't remember if there was a $20 or not, they were smaller than actual money and came in preset booklets.
Any change under a $1 was given in coins.

When we first got together/married, my OH had come out bankruptcy and had only been rehomed for 2 years, so we applied together again, and even though i had SSDI, and my OH only had a part time job, we qualified for a whole whopping.....wait for it.....$16/m in EBT bennies.

My state has a streamlined application, and isnt assets means tested, your income vs rent/mortgage and utilities was about all they asked.

I just got an article from CNN that Trump admin wants to cut the food stamps to some multi millions of people first by eliminating the streamlined application process that some 40 states and DC use, and require a more means tested application process for SNAP (food stamps/EBT.)

So, OP may get a wish to see that wealthier people WONT get them.

Now when I had the food stamps booklets, they had no expiration date, and if I shopped astutely with paper coupons, I would have extra the next month, and I DID use my foods stamps to buy....wait for it....a good Porterhouse Steak, a good TBone steak or the like, and would get dirty looks.
As I only got $105/m in stamps I had actually NO QUALMS about buy a "treat " for the skill of shopping and being frugal!!.
One lady, waiting for her friend behind me to cash out, stopped me and said "I think its DISGUSTING that you get to use food stamps for your Steak". I could have let it go, but experiencing other such dirty looks before, I HAD to stop.
I said (polite but a tone of rudeness to match hers) "Ma'am, I dont know how much you spend to feed yourself, but I get $26/week to feed myself, about $3 and change for 3 meals a day. BUT, I shop the sales and use a ton of coupons to save, so that ONCE every other MONTH I get to enjoy a piecs of veef that ISN'T ground up chunks of scraps of beef. IF ypu want, I will teach you and upur friends how to shop, so YOU TOO can have ONE porter house steak EVERY OTHER MONTH. "

Then as I walked away, I said "what does the Bible say, 'judge not, lest ye be wrong, er ah no, I think its lest ye be judged,' and I just judged what kind of a NOSEY INCONSIDERATE SNOBBY B** CH"....and walked away.
She naturally 'huffed ' at me, but I doubt she ever said an insulting phrase to anyone else on food stamps!!!

I was on WIC with the kids for a short while. Actually, I was eligible for probably 2.5 years, but I think I only got to the 2nd month. Poor-shaming was harsh. The vouchers were a PITA for the cashiers and processing them alerted everyone behind me that I was poor. It didn't help that the university graduate and family housing was surrounded by of one of the most upscale neighborhoods (more UW-Madison, but also to an extent UT-Austin). So there I was, showing up at the grocery store with an infant, a toddler and my WIC vouchers in the wealthy part of town. I felt like I needed to turn around and justify myself and my situation... "I wanted my babies close in age"... "I only want two".. "my husband switched graduate programs"... "we just moved across the country on our own dime"... "he has to wait to work"... "he'll be done soon and has excellent job prospects"... "one day we'll be productive, tax-paying citizens and so GLAD about it"...

Old 07-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'll also agree, I have no idea how people are paying because I'm not watching them that closely while waiting in line, and it's none of my business. Perhaps more telling would be the publicly available data on the free lunch/breakfast at the local schools. That requires a detailed income application to qualify. For a family of 4, your income has to be less than $46,000 to qualify. Our median family income is $160,000, rent $2,200, home price $900,000. Still, there are kids getting the free school meals, 11% district wide which includes Sammamish, Kirkland and Redmond WA.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:34 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'll also agree, I have no idea how people are paying because I'm not watching them that closely while waiting in line, and it's none of my business. Perhaps more telling would be the publicly available data on the free lunch/breakfast at the local schools. That requires a detailed income application to qualify. For a family of 4, your income has to be less than $46,000 to qualify. Our median family income is $160,000, rent $2,200, home price $900,000. Still, there are kids getting the free school meals, 11% district wide which includes Sammamish, Kirkland and Redmond WA.
Around here, $46,000 is above median HHI. It's still not a lot of money, but it's above median.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:53 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Man, my dog is going crazy right now.

Most of my childhood was spent on Foodstamps.

If we didn't have those, we probably would have starved to death.

My parents weren't the best people, certainly. They sold their paper food stamps from time to time. Some of the money was spent on beer and cigarettes. A lot of times, it was used to turn our water or electricity on after it got shut off for non payment. Or to be able to make rent, or to fix their car for the 1700th time so they could get to work. Or so they could afford to buy us school supplies or clothing from Goodwill or if I was lucky from KMart. The house we lived in, in the 80's and 90's, was $250 for rent in a horrible neighborhood. We certainly weren't living it up in a McMansion driving Maseratis, I can assure you of that. Our house was condemned at one point if that tells you anything.

There is always going to be some level of fraud in everything, that is indisputable. But to demonize the poor. because of the actions of a few.....I just truly hope none of you ever have to go through that.
My parents refused to get food stamps. I often went without food. If it weren't for the free lunch and breakfast at school, I would've starved. There is one picture of me when I was a teenager where I was emaciated and looked really old because of how I was being raised. Everyone knew I was in that shape. I was the subject of ridicule by everyone because of it, including teachers. I was beaten at school and one of my teachers laughed. That teacher wouldn't allow me to use the restroom and made me sit there for hours until I finally couldn't hold it any longer and wet myself. I was in the 5th grade. The teacher sat there laughing at me along with the rest of the class. I hated her. I am sure she is long dead by now.

I lived in a shack in the woods for several years. It had no running water. I often wasn't able to bathe. In pictures my hair is oily and stuck to my head. When I got older I would gather snow that had fallen and melt it on the stove and take a sponge bath and wash my hair with it.

I often shoplifted food as a child because I was so hungry. I'd steal mostly candy, since it was the easiest and I could eat it easily, but I stole crackers and stuff like that too. I stole school supplies as a child because I sometimes wouldn't have any otherwise. My mother would go through spells where she'd seem to try and take care of me and other times where I was ignored. My brother was always taken care of though. In my family boys were considered valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance