Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:35 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
holy crap. i didnt realize we had all these big timers in here. its impressive to me that people feel its worth the added benefit.

i pay some money so that i can have access to the club lounge in airports, global entry for security lines and premier access for better check in experience but thats nothing compared to the cost of a first class ticket.
Quote:
in the old days, i think that was a popular way to use miles for an upgrade. i dont hear it as much now but maybe its still popular. people tend to not perceive miles as real money but i most definitely do. i can cash those miles out at 1 cent a point so i need to get at least that value for when i use them for traveling.

i figured most people in first class were people that flew a lot for business so they got upgrades from the airline. i didnt realize people were actually willing to pay 3x the regular price for a ticket to sit there. im generally an averaged size guy and i dont really find coach so uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My hunch is that most people who fly first class actually have someone else paying for it. Its a business flight or something like that and the corporation is paying for it.

I think probably a lot of first class tickets might have someone else paying but businesses cut way back on these kind of perks during the recession and didn't reimplement them. If my husband travels overseas, they most they will do is business class. They used to provide global services for his level but no longer give it to anyone but SMT (senior management team). This is probably about 15 employees of a Fortune 500 company.

Miles are no longer worth what they used to be when they started giving them out with every credit card and doubling them. Some airlines (United) now make you pay to use your own miles, which totally pi$$es me off. The fee to use them internationally is huge, like $500 a ticket each way. I can't remember because I refuse to do it. Now we use the miles for going to visit my mom because I don't have a huge fee to pay. To buy a first class ticket with miles also requires a HUGE number of miles. The only people who would have this kind of mileage built up would be people who travel all the time, like my brother in law. But I don't think he and my sister would fly first class to Europe no matter how many miles they had. Maybe business. He is a professor at a public university, btw.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
im kind of surprised by your dimensions. im presently 5'8 and 192. i just looked at my pants and its a 31 inch waist and its pretty loose. im pretty lean but didnt quite get the abs i was hoping for this summer. so i wouldnt expect you to be so uncomfortable based on size but hey if you arent comfortable you arent comfortable.

im kind of with you on travel, i dont really care so much about seeing other places. but we have had some interesting trips and maybe when the kids are older we will see some cool places in europe and other sight seeing type trips. right now the best thing about travel is getting to spend time with my family and not have any other things to do except enjoy being with them.
That's really nice.

It IS a good time to go to Europe now though because compared to 2014, the Euro is down quite a bit.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM

784 posts, read 729,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Working on million number 5. Achieved the first million at age 49, now 71.
ETA: Never married. Never owned a business.
I hit mine about the same age. Now turning 60. Almost to 5, so close... Single, no kids, no inheritance, just rental property and an IT job I retired from.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Australia is off my list too. My husband and I are not too keen about it. I love travelling to places that are not so crowd, much more enjoyable. I can sit in an economy class like JetBlue for 5-6 hours with no back issue. So that’s how we’re going to travel in a few years. No more first class or business class for anything.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 PM

403 posts, read 272,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Curious how many of you have reached this number either alone or with someone. Rough estimate of ages?

The magical number of a million no longer interests me since it could have involved two incomes.
Here's the downside of owning businesses. My number changes every dang day based on their current valuation. I also think that "net worth" is a drastically overrated number. You can be "worth" X, but have no income or liquid asset.

I prefer to look at it in 3 categories:

Income - money coming in every month, be it dividends, interest, W2, 1099, whatever.
Liquid - Cash on hand
Illiquid - Stuff I'd have to sell

I like having a good spread, and having some of the illiquid assets in a form that can be easily turned to cash (gold/minerals/stocks/bonds). The downside of much of the common "net worth" number is the volatility. You can have the mineral rights to an oil well producing $2K/day that's worth a million and then it's worth nothing. One of my restaurants could be HOT and worth tons of money and then the bottom falls out, or Keto becomes a craze and now it's a liability. The stock market could (and probably will) tank.

What I've done is sell a couple of bars that I started and built to the guys that managed them and held the financing myself, I still technically own the bar, but I turn an illiquid asset slowly into an income. When they're done paying, it becomes Liquid. If they stop paying, it turns right back into an Illiquid asset that I can turn back into income, or jettison.

The goal is to have about 3-4 of these floating around at all times by the time I'm 55, have 10 years of living expenses in straight cash/gold/minerals and use that income to ride til I'm 75. I'll likely start another retirement business, because sitting at home just sounds boring as hell. I was thinking fishing charters in Puerto Rico.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:10 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Can one be all that muscular at 5'10" 180? That was my height and weight as a Junior in HS and I was in very good shape (played outside linebacker for the football team) didn't consider myself all that muscular, more lean. I'd only been lifting for about 1.5 years at that point in time and was probably about 10% bodyfat.
You’re kidding, right?! I’m about peak muscularity actually for my frame. BMI defines above 174 to be “overweight.” I was 132 when I was 18 years old, so you must have an enormous frame - I’ve put on almost 50 pounds of muscle since high school. My wrists are only 6.25” so on the small side of average and my frame I’d say is small, which is good in a way because you can pack a lot of muscle on without looking like crazy roided out or something, but I’d argue it’s bad because you can’t get “huge.” I bench 275, which is about top 1% for a 36-year-old guy. It helps that 80% of guys can’t probably even bench their body weight (more because they’re fat). I am by far the most muscular person I know, but that’s also because I live in Portland and I feel like this crowd is full of hipsters and beanpole dudes. I wish there were more traditionally manly dudes, but I’m out of here next month.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:49 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You’re kidding, right?! I’m about peak muscularity actually for my frame. BMI defines above 174 to be “overweight.” I was 132 when I was 18 years old, so you must have an enormous frame - I’ve put on almost 50 pounds of muscle since high school. My wrists are only 6.25” so on the small side of average and my frame I’d say is small, which is good in a way because you can pack a lot of muscle on without looking like crazy roided out or something, but I’d argue it’s bad because you can’t get “huge.” I bench 275, which is about top 1% for a 36-year-old guy. It helps that 80% of guys can’t probably even bench their body weight (more because they’re fat). I am by far the most muscular person I know, but that’s also because I live in Portland and I feel like this crowd is full of hipsters and beanpole dudes. I wish there were more traditionally manly dudes, but I’m out of here next month.
I benched 315 at that weight when I was 18. Didn’t know there was a top 1% for 36 year olds. I stopped going heavy, but at my peak at ~32 I was benching 455 raw (no equipment). Im also 36 and could probably still hit 365 with a couple of weeks of heavy training. Usually just rep out 225 on incline nowadays. I’m definitely an endo, but I guess we have different definitions of muscular. I’d consider that lean, you can be lean and have definition, but not be “muscular” in my opinion, I think of muscular as pros, like Layne Norton.

https://cdn.muscleandstrength.com/si...ybuilder-1.jpg

Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I benched 315 at that weight when I was 18. Didn’t know there was a top 1% for 36 year olds. I stopped going heavy, but at my peak at ~32 I was benching 455 raw (no equipment). Im also 36 and could probably still hit 365 with a couple of weeks of heavy training. Usually just rep out 225 on incline nowadays. I’m definitely an endo, but I guess we have different definitions of muscular. I’d consider that lean, you can be lean and have definition, but not be “muscular” in my opinion, I think of muscular as pros, like Layne Norton.

https://cdn.muscleandstrength.com/si...ybuilder-1.jpg
315 at 174 lbs when you are 18 is pretty amazing. How much did you weigh with 455?

Old 07-20-2019, 10:00 PM

403 posts, read 272,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
This is just what affluent people talk about. I think a few years ago, Gates and Buffett were unknowingly caught on a hot mic discussing how much they dead lift and comparing leg day routines.
More like what insecure people talk about.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The CEO of Microsoft, Satya Nadella, went to the same school I did, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. Essentially a commuter school. He made out alright. I think I did too. Graduated with no debt. I was able to launch my savings far quicker than someone with loans which leads us back to the OP, having at least 2 million.
I think having kids go to public universities/colleges and putting the savings from not going to a private "top school" into investments for the kids to teach them about investments and provide them with a head start on savings/investments, is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance