Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 AM

403 posts, read 273,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
Not sure if it's the same where you are but if you produce the food at home and bring it somewhere else, there are no health inspectors.

Our one local restaurant does this. Sounds odd but everything that is served was supposedly pre-cooked elsewhere.
That’s entirely untrue. You cannot have a restaurant that does not have inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
'Homesteading', 'back-to-the-land', 'hobby farming', 'survivalism', etc.

There are lots of words used that lack solid definitions.

I bought bare undeveloped land, I designed and built a house, we are vendors in Farmer's Markets.

As a US servicemember I have a pension, it is less then if I were flipping burgers at McD's, but it is an income. In many parts of this nation, my pension would not be enough to support a family. Here in rural Maine it is more than enough to support a family.

We know a lot of other Farmer's Market vendors who do not have military pensions. They survive on the farm produce they grow. I have the utmost respect for these guys. They can work a 5-acre garden and produce enough veggies for market to financially support themselves.

There is a big movement afoot, of people moving rural. To live off-grid, to raise families, to enjoy life without punching a time card.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
ha ha I read your posts, you are SO busy working. Maybe acquire some rats if you miss the rat race later on
Oh hell no. I will have plenty to keep me busy - I won't miss my job one bit. I will miss the people though...lots of really good friends there.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Not sure if it's the same where you are but if you produce the food at home and bring it somewhere else, there are no health inspectors.

Our one local restaurant does this. Sounds odd but everything that is served was supposedly pre-cooked elsewhere.
Restaurants are required to have inspections. Believe me - you want that. My BF has seen some things that you would not believe.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/resta...-in-your-area/

Old 07-22-2019, 07:51 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

There is a big movement afoot, of people moving rural. To live off-grid, to raise families, to enjoy life without punching a time card.
Maybe where you live but certainly not nationwide. Farming trends and facts:

The number of farms continues to decrease with consolidation into bigger farms.
Half of the nation's farms produce less than $10000/year in value. 80% are under $100,000.
Many farms are family owned but fewer and fewer are family operated. Many are being leased out.
Rural areas of the country are in decline with more and more people moving out.

Small farms might feed the farmers/owners but they rarely make much of an income.

If you have any doubt, check Google. There are tons of links all showing a decline in small farms.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:31 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
This states farm have been growing in number, just as this state's Farmers Markets have been growing in number.

As a vendor in farmers markets I am well aware that the amount of income earned through farming here is very low.

Thankfully high income is NOT what motivates these people.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:03 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:

If it's cooked elsewhere, that elsewhere has to pass regular inspections from the health department, and the kitchen has to be up to code.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:33 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This states farm have been growing in number, just as this state's Farmers Markets have been growing in number.

As a vendor in farmers markets I am well aware that the amount of income earned through farming here is very low.

Thankfully high income is NOT what motivates these people.
Apparently there is some disagreement on this. The attached article cites a decline of 573 farms from 2012 to 2017. During the same period, acreage dropped by 10% and there was a 16% decline in average net income to a low of $17K/year. I would say that is less than very low to a ridiculous level as a business.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/05/...r-agriculture/

Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Clearly what "riches" translates to differs depending on the person involved.

For some it's a net balance in the bank

For others it's a lifestyle filled with family, friends and the kinds of support that money can't buy

For still others it's a life that is not tied too closely to the traditional house in city or 'burb, or working for someone else or being too close to other people and it involves living off the land directly.

There isn't just one right way to live -- the beauty is people can choose which path they're most interested in and go towards that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance