Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 PM

154 posts, read 92,606 times

Advertisements

And driving a crappy car
If you are able to buy a piece of property way out of the way....where building inspectors do not go...ideally with a water source, you're set. If no water source, maybe find out the cost to haul in water and/or collect rainwater. If need be, move. Ideally you would move where you can visit for a long while to get to know the area first.

We do not drive crappy cars only because my husband buys them from the auto recyclers and fixes them up. We drive for 2-3 years and he sells them for what we bought them for.

Even if you need to live in an RV, you will eventually be able to build. Socialize, come up on weekends or f/t and get to know the small community (yes it usually needs to be a very small community) so you can get connections to hire those with criminal records to build your home.

We paid $35 & $30 an hour, 2 people, about 50K total, to have our 500 sq foot home with a 200 sq ft loft built.. Luckily when we bought, we learned County Records t showed a 2bdrm/1 bath home already. So when the inspectors show up, if ever, we'll owe yes...but not if we started from scratch. New building permits are outrageous. We also ensured in building the home it was to code. We love our wrap around deck! Sleeping outside during summer, watching the birds, nothing compares to it.

Husband used Pallets to build our huge storage shed himself. Luckily, we have fibre optic internet and landline phones.A well known river is below our home which provides natural, organic food all year long. Renting out a yurt on AIRB&B we bought on CL is an option.

Our resources-
BLACKBERRIES -Provides 1 cup each a piece wk all year. Picked at the River. We also make jam/syrup to go along with homemade maple syrup as gifts. Picked everyday around mid to late Aug. So it's very time consuming but we do swim with our goggles too so it's fun!
CRAWDADS-Our German Shepherds used in home-made dog food. We can provide it 1x a week for the entire year
Cages placed in river while we are picking blackberries
CORNISH CROSS HENS-VERY LARGE MEAT CHICKENS closer to the size of a Turkey.
This is what we make our dog food out of and we have plenty of chicken all year for ourselves
EGGS- from our 15 pet chickens. Also used in our homemade dog food.
HOMEMADE MAPLE SYRUP- We make enough for 1 pint per month. Meaning it lasts us 1 year. No cost except a one time upfront of $20 since I buy quart jars from yard sales or thrift stores. Or whatever the quart jar costs. We often get them free.
Tap the trees, boil down the sap outside in a large pan, drain, & pour into jar where it auto seals itself
POTATOES- Various kinds we grow organically for free!! Probably the best small investment we've ever done. We bought a bag of organic potatoes and tossed in compost pile. Each one duplicated itself into 2-3 more potatoes and so on. We always have way way too many potatoes.
We attend church so we bring what we can provide for almost free, see the above. We all share so we actually get two meals bringing one meal home. We always bring huge meals, people comment about it alot but our donation is low so we try to do what we can.

Start a Meetup Group o whatever interests you regarding your hobby & add a potluck. Monthly, 2x a month, whatever.

It's best to find a town completely off grid to join like-minded folks but it may not be possible.
Since our property is in the forest, growing food is difficult so we are limited to raising animals. We still work p/t since we didn't work enough throughout our life. I love it.
We created a life that revolves around fun exercise. Things we enjoy thus not realizing we are exercising.
At 72, i work a job I like. 12 hr shifts which fit my schedule.

We save cash in the house each month for the future when we cannot homestead. Someday we may not be able to take care of chickens, garden a little, etc..

What do you think? Anyone taken this path? We live easily on $1915 a month Social Security though I still work earning $1025 a month so we can still stash some $ away. It takes alot to plan it out but you can do it

Last edited by ElmersGlue.; 07-16-2019 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
No thanks

Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Oh, I've considered it.

I did a lot of research and YouTube videos, to find out how to homestead, the dos and donts.

I bought a few books on making things like your own goat cheese, etc.

Planted a garden. Not enough to sustain us, and fought off critters and blight.

But, BIG BUT, my poor old body could not take full time homesteading.

Last summer i could not garden, i couldn't walk onone knee.
This summer is a repeat, need to go get new injections just to be able to walk....with a cane as it is.

So, while I would love to have fresh milk, eggs, garden vegetables, etc., I'll have to stick with my suburban 1/4 acre, and watch from the window as the grass grows in the comfort of air conditioning.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No thanks
Why? You stay in shape, live the way God intended, are natually happy, why not?
Work the rat race at first, invest, then at 40, why not live off interest? You can if you live cheaply.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Oh, I've considered it.

I did a lot of research and YouTube videos, to find out how to homestead, the dos and donts.

I bought a few books on making things like your own goat cheese, etc.

Planted a garden. Not enough to sustain us, and fought off critters and blight.

But, BIG BUT, my poor old body could not take full time homesteading.

Last summer i could not garden, i couldn't walk onone knee.
This summer is a repeat, need to go get new injections just to be able to walk....with a cane as it is.

So, while I would love to have fresh milk, eggs, garden vegetables, etc., I'll have to stick with my suburban 1/4 acre, and watch from the window as the grass grows in the comfort of air conditioning.

So 20 years earlier, it could've been your paradise Glad you have a/c, many in our town do not. You can probably have endless potatoes for almost free if you watch your Craigslist adds for free manure.

We have a mini split we are thankful for

What is a Mini-Split? - FUJITSU GENERAL United States & Canada

Nowadays with Solar, and esp. if you live in California where PG&E keeps turning off the power, Solar is GREAT! If not, generators. Saves a ton of $$.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:26 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
Why?
It simply doesn’t appeal to me at all

Quote:
You stay in shape
I do that already

Quote:
live the way God intended
Never met the man and don’t believe in the concept

Quote:
are natually happy, why not?
Zero appeal. I’m not sure how you surmise what naturally happy is and isn’t

Quote:
Work the rat race at first, invest, then at 40, why not live off interest? You can if you live cheaply.
I really enjoy my work now so it want to kick rocks in the woods for fun I can and then go back to doing my job which I enjoy

Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It simply doesn’t appeal to me at all
I do that already
Never met the man and don’t believe in the concept
Zero appeal. I’m not sure how you surmise what naturally happy is and isn’t
I really enjoy my work now so it want to kick rocks in the woods for fun I can and then go back to doing my job which I enjoy
If you enjoy your work, you are blessed. I don't "kick rocks" in the woods whatever that means

Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Absolutely no desire to take that path.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 PM

These people are my inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-AZh_DwFIE

Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
It sounds cool for a week. Then you start longing for a grocery store.

I find life is a lot easier when I pay others to do all the nitnoid stuff like grow lettuce for me and I can worry about more important things, like how late to sleep in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance