Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Just purchased a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn (New body Style). I've been aware of dealer tricks since I was about 20 years old and I am 34 now so I always enjoy the game when buying a new vehicle. These numbers are not exact but within a $100 bucks.

The first Dodge dealer I went to was somewhat in the country but not too far out. The sticker price on the Crew Cab was about $51,100 and I had a paid off 2016 Equinox with 13000 miles in excellent condition to trade in.

First offer at dealer one was $51,100 sticker price minus $7,300 in rebates/offers plus about $2,700 (taxes, doc, plates) and they were only going to give me $13,500 for my Equinox; which put the final price at $33,000. (before financing/leasing)

They also offered sets of payments and a 3 year lease would have equaled out to about $25,000, then if I bought it at the end of the lease I would have spent a total of $54,000 over the course of the lease and the $29,000 purchase price at the end of the lease(take in mind the most people would have to take out a loan on the $29,000 which would put the cost of this truck well into the $60,000+ range. Doing loan for 5 to 7 years would have put the total cost with financing around $53,000 or so. I chuckled on the inside and drove over to dealer number two in a more populated area off a major Interstate.

Dealer two had a few similar trucks with different colors, but with some interior colors I wasn't fond of and less than desirable looking, and smaller, wheels. They had huge rebates on the Big Horn model which is the model I had chosen I wanted. Not the base model, but not the loaded longhorns or limited; but just enough options to make me happy.

The one I test drove had a sticker of $50,000 minus $12,500 rebates/offers plus about $3,000 (taxes, doc, plates) and they were going to give me $15,000 for my car; which put the final price at $25,500. I told the salesman thank you for his time and left.

I contacted dealer one over the phone and advised the manager of the price on a similarly priced model with similar, but not the same options, at the dealer two. I wanted the truck at dealer number one because it had everything that i wanted. After some negotiating he advised his rock bottom out the door price of $26,000. ($51,100 sticker minus $12,500 rebates/offers plus about $2,400 (taxes, doc, plates) minus $15,000 for my equinox. He said they weren't going to make any money on the truck after paying the salesmen, although I'm sure they made something on it. I confirmed that $26,026 was the out the door price and there wouldn't be any additional cost and he said yes.

A day later I went in and while sitting with the finance guy I was given a price of $26,176 and when I advised him of the agreed upon price of $26,026 he became irritated because he had to print the paperwork out again. I said throw in all weather floor mats (Which cost $179) and I'd pay the $26,176 and he said he absolutely not because he couldnt take another $29 hit. ($179 minus the $150 extra they tried to sneak in on the final price). He printed out the final sales contract with an out the door price of $26,026 and I wrote him a check. No loan no Lease. It feels good to trade in a paid off car with a clear title in hand and owe no interest or payments on a new $41,000 vehicle.

The finance guy was irritated because I paid by check and didn't take out a loan and I didn't lease, and i could tell that the salesmen and the manager were annoyed that I got the price that I did.

Moral of the story is I saved $7,000 at dealer number one compared to their first offer and their close price match to dealer number two's truck. By paying by check(cash) I saved $12,000+ by not financing.

A couple hours of leg work and traveling to another dealer or two can save thousands.
you are obviously not poor, in a healthy financial position where you can allow yourself to buy WHAT YOU WANT and WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. You achieved it for a great price for the vehicle you want and can afford and that is awesome.

People are just jealous. I get those haters all the time when they ask how much my payment is and I tell them I never in my life had a loan other than mortgage. I saved up hard for that truck and I am proud as I could be. While others dined out I ate my home made sandwich. While others bought expensive clothes I bought second hand and at 21 forever. My truck makes me happy every day I look at it. So worth it.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:44 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Nuts to trade in a car vs selling outright. You have lost money.
Wrong. Prices for my exact same model at dealerships were going for around the same price

Old 07-19-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If you research well and aren't in a hurry you can get great deals.

I've been doing it for years. Two years ago I was looking for a Silverado LTZ, 6.2L, 2wdr. It is kinda rare and is about $53k.
I ran from dealer to dealer and asked for special deals, under $40k. They laughed at me. I spent a lot of time and hours on the net, for 3 months.

I found it online then for $39k. The dealership had mistakenly advertised as a regular 5.3l but for the 6.2l price and it was on the lot for 6 months. I rushed there, they figured out their mistake but since they confirmed via email that I can have the vehicle for $39k, they could not back out.

They said I can only get it if I finance through them, which I did, with a high percentage. I was supposed to not pay it off for at least 3 months so they earn some in interest.
I paid it off two days later - they never came after me.

I put 15k miles on it so far since 2017 and it is still worth right now what I paid for. I also saw a brand new Denali for $49k online at a dealership but it was a little out of my reach. I don't like loans.
You got a steal. Nice

Old 07-19-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its interesting that this is something that someone feels needs to be said because someone said that they bought a new car and it is 100% a matter of jealousy. people just want to believe they are doing the right thing while the others are just trying to keep up with the jones's. ridiculous attitude.
Exactly. I could care less about the Jones’. I have always wanted a truck and also wanted a larger vehicle for my 5 month old son.

And no I’m not driving a piece of junk around with 300,000 miles 😂

Old 07-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I would ask you to teach me to mind read like you do, but you are about as far off the mark as it is possible to get. When you ascribe emotions to others and err that greatly, you say more about yourself than the object of your assignment.

Being on the older side, I tend to recognize that money not spent to satisfy passing desires when young stays around for use when income is less or non-existent. For you to think me jealous of a depreciating asset that has less flexibility than what I currently have, and has a whole raft of concerns and costs that come with the purchase, shows just how much you don't understand the comment or its intent. To repeat, if someone enjoys a purchase for what it is, great. That said, I have known and do know people who buy things to remain in good graces of their social circle. I find that somewhat perverse and a questionable financial strategy.

Ah, I see someone else as jumped on the jealousy idea. TOO funny! If I wanted to be jealous about something, it would be more like being able to play piano properly (my nerves are crosswired and fine coordination off) than something like that. I've no time for that type of petty envy.
In about 12 years I’m going to have my house paid off and a total net worth of around 1.6 million dollars at 47 years old and I’ll be RETIRED.

In addition to that I’ll have a pension worth about 2.5 million dollars if I live to 75.

I think I’ll be fine paying cash for a truck I’ll keep for 8 to 10 years

Last edited by westcoastforme; 07-19-2019 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-19-2019, 05:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You are mind reading again. You really need to stop that before you hurt yourself.

Cautioning that a purchase might not be financially prudent is not casting aspersions on the purchaser.

One more time. Check my posts again and you will find this:

"If you like the vehicle and the features are worth it to you, and you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, then great"

"To repeat, if someone enjoys a purchase for what it is, great."

I have no need to defend my actions or comments, but I would caution you that you are on the edge of a personal attack with your repeated comments about me. Don't cross that line.

Bringing it back on topic, many of us learned long ago that there is instant depreciation. Buy a new car, at just about ANY price, walk out the door and feel your wallet be a few thousand dollars lighter. Dealerships don't get those big buildings and pay for all those lights in the parking lot by giving customers fantastic deals.

Consumer 101 is to recognize the list price is almost always inflated, that there is a legitimate profit margin, and that skilled negotiation can eliminate the first but rarely make a dent in the second. The money someone "SAVES" by eliminating most of the inflation is not "money in the pocket." It is just avoiding the stupid tax.
if you are insinuating that you will tell my mommy on me because i took issue with your "keeping up with the jones's" comment then i beg you not to. i am the apple of her eye and i dont want to hurt her.

you should have just said what you are quoting above and left out the jones's comment. just because the guy gets a car that isnt a used corolla doesnt mean he is keeping up with the jones's or anyone needs to qualify their congratulations with an "as long as you didnt do it to keep up with the jones's" line.

wait a second, new cars depreciate right when you drive them off the lot? thanks for that wisdom that your many years have helped you acquire.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:09 PM

403 posts, read 273,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
By paying by check(cash) I saved $12,000+ by not financing.

A couple hours of leg work and traveling to another dealer or two can save thousands.
You really were quoted a 17% interest rate in today's car buying world? How bad is your credit?

Old 07-19-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Ordinarily I'd be ripping on a person for doing this. However, you ripped off a car dealership, who makes their living ripping people off. Good job.
Lol

Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Sorry OP, but you've been had.

You spent lots of money on a depreciating asset. And traded in what appears to be a perfectly acceptable vehicle. No doubt the true value of the trade-in is much more than the dealer gave you. Why didn't you sell it outright? Or better yet- KEEP IT?

If you keep "saving money" this way, you soon be bankrupt.

Broke people always talk about "saving money" when they're really spending money.
Wrong again. Paying cash for a new car here and there isn’t going to affect my bottom line as you can see my post a few up the page

Old 07-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you are obviously not poor, in a healthy financial position where you can allow yourself to buy WHAT YOU WANT and WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. You achieved it for a great price for the vehicle you want and can afford and that is awesome.

People are just jealous. I get those haters all the time when they ask how much my payment is and I tell them I never in my life had a loan other than mortgage. I saved up hard for that truck and I am proud as I could be. While others dined out I ate my home made sandwich. While others bought expensive clothes I bought second hand and at 21 forever. My truck makes me happy every day I look at it. So worth it.
Nice bolding there in my post! Thx for the support. Jeeese bunch of negativity here. And ya if I was upside down on my trade in, was renting an apartment. And $30,000 in CC debt it would completely idiotic to spend 41,000 on a truck but that is not my life

I have gone without scrimped and saved for 10 years. Time to buy something nice for myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance