Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

My credit card information was stolen and unauthorized purchases were made. The bank was able to stop and reversed most of the charges. They issued me a new credit card and told me to get rid of the old one. A month later I found out they reported the closed account to Equifax. This lowered my credit rating by 11 points.

I didn't know they could or would do that because I remember reading somewhere they don't report accounts closed due to identity theft. I am just pissed because my credit rating is now lower through no fault my my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Are you sure your credit took a hit only because of the closed account? Do you "need" that credit score for anything at the moment? If not, and your score is OK otherwise, it might recover those points before it actually matters. I'd ask the bank about this. I do understand being irate about it but have trouble imagining why the bank report didn't separate you from the unauthorized purchases. There must be more to the story.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-19-2019 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Are you sure your credit took a hit only because of the closed account? Do you "need" that credit score for anything at the moment? If not, and your score is OK otherwise, it might recover those points before it actually matters. I'd ask the bank about this. I do understand being irate about it but have trouble imagining why the bank report didn't separate you from the unauthorized purchases. There must be more to the story.
i agree . i had new cards issued all the time when fraud happens ... the account history stays the same the only thing that changed is the card number tied in to that history

Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 AM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I noticed my credit score declined by about 8 points due to the same issue. (Card hacked and closed) No big deal to me because I have no plans to buy anything on credit in the future.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:14 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
your auto insurance may still be using it as part of your insurance score for pricing you . check to see if your state is one of the few that does not let them incorporate it.

i thought the same thing as not needing loans but with zero percent auto loans it made no sense not to . in fact we are retired and if we should decide to buy i would certainly take a mortgage at these low rates and leave my own money invested

Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 AM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
your auto insurance may still be using it as part of your insurance score for pricing you . check to see if your state is one of the few that does not let them incorporate it.

i thought the same thing as not needing loans but with zero percent auto loans it made no sense not to . in fact we are retired and if we should decide to buy i would certainly take a mortgage at these low rates and leave my own money invested
My score isn't bad; it just went from 800 to 792 due to the card issue. I DID take out a short term auto loan last year due to the financing deal (extra cash off the purchase) but paid it off at the end of the year. I use my credit card for all purchases and "exercise" my heloc loan about twice a year to avoid a non-use fee. (Trying to explain the higher credit rating despite not having a lot of debt)

Old 07-31-2019, 02:18 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
A month later I found out they reported the closed account to Equifax. This lowered my credit rating by 11 points.
I wouldn't sweat 11 points, your FICO score fluctuates by the amount of debt to credit you have, the number of inquires on your account, lots of different reasons. Unless your credit was marginal to begin with, 11 points is nothing to be concerned with. No one can maintain a 850 credit score for long, I actually hit that number once, but not for long. Now if your score drops 50 points, that's something to be concerned with.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
It depends on your score but once you go above 730-750 anything higher has no impact on rates or anything else.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:10 AM

272 posts, read 216,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My credit card information was stolen and unauthorized purchases were made. The bank was able to stop and reversed most of the charges. They issued me a new credit card and told me to get rid of the old one. A month later I found out they reported the closed account to Equifax. This lowered my credit rating by 11 points.

I didn't know they could or would do that because I remember reading somewhere they don't report accounts closed due to identity theft. I am just pissed because my credit rating is now lower through no fault my my own.
So, it's been about a month now. Has your 'credit rating' rebounded this month?

Old 08-15-2019, 12:29 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
I would not sweat it, my dropped 60 points in one day after I bought a new car on my card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance