Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You are teaching him how you want him to behave in life.
That's what parents do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
That's what parents do.
Yes, but the point is: if you weren't constantly talking about family finances, would he actually be willing to go spend the money/go to the camps? (Probably unknowable). But, he seems like a good, considerate kid in that respect.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Can anyone help? I've read online that a lot of this stuff is a waste of money. That the most important thing for your kid is simply to play games.. can even include street games. No special, foreign affiliations required.
it would probably break my heart if i had a son that thought he wanted to play a sport professionally. but there is nothing wrong with playing it in college. for me, its about the kid's enjoyment and nothing else matters. he will probably enjoy getting into college on a scholarship and play soccer. as far as what you do, well i think you do what you can do and set limits where you feel comfortable. its hard for anyone else to say where those are.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You are constantly here writing about saving money and pinching the pennies. It seems those same conversations are occurring at home and your son is reacting. You are teaching him how you want him to behave in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yes, but the point is: if you weren't constantly talking about family finances, would he actually be willing to go spend the money/go to the camps? (Probably unknowable). But, he seems like a good, considerate kid in that respect.
That's hard to know. Would you have suggestions to help with that?

I've thought about this. We think it's important for the kids to see us managing our finances. I want them to have solid understanding of the value of money and time and the relationship between the two and also the relationship between time, money and happiness.

We are realists and don't shun statistics.. we know the probability of all sorts of things including average household debt, preparedness for retirement, costs of long-term care, likelihood of needing long-term care also chances of becoming a professional athlete, chances of making a comfortable living through sports. We have no issues with discussing all of this in front of the kids. We are modeling what they will have to think about as adults.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:02 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
That's hard to know. Would you have suggestions to help with that?

I've thought about this. We think it's important for the kids to see us managing our finances. I want them to have solid understanding of the value of money and time and the relationship between the two and also the relationship between time, money and happiness.

We are realists and don't shun statistics.. we know the probability of all sorts of things including average household debt, preparedness for retirement, costs of long-term care, likelihood of needing long-term care also chances of becoming a professional athlete, chances of making a comfortable living through sports. We have no issues with discussing all of this in front of the kids. We are modeling what they will have to think about as adults.
Sure. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing. But, at his age he may not be able to fully understand/internalize all the financial aspects/ramifications. In the circles you say you revolve in, in comparison to the actions of his peer group and their families, he very well might think you are actually "poor."

My point is: He may indeed be very happy with the soccer situation as it's currently structured. Or, he may be trying to be considerate of the family finances and tell you what you want to hear, even if it isn't what he truly would choose to do if money weren't involved. You may just have to make a judgement call there. If you think he is trying to "sacrifice for the greater good," you may have to prod him.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:36 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
I could use advice and opinions about the 13 year old soccer fanatic in the family. He got into soccer last fall. He only had 3-4 months of recreation soccer experience back when he was 8 or 9, but he sorta fell in love with the game when we were in Europe during the world cup last summer. He did a little rec as soon as we got back, then in the spring he placed on a C team for a local club and in June made their B team for this year (program runs from June to May).

Most of this teammates have either been on the A or B teams for the past 3 or 4 years or so. Other parents on the team are incredulous when told this is our son's first year. Many of them have approached my husband or I with comments ranging from "your boy's got some wheels", "he looks like a professional", "your kid has the perfect crossovers" and "he was the MVP today!". I don't know the sports well. Maybe this is what the parents say to each other all the time? This is my first rodeo so to speak so I don't understand youth sport parent culture (fill me in if you can!).

So that sounds awesome, but this year has been hard for me in terms of dealing with the time and expense of the soccer club commitment. In talking with other parents I've been finding out that many of these boys, if not most, are doing all these supplemental programs or are looking at doing another level of programing, the level that scouts use to fill college or MLS placements.

If you asked my kid he would straight out tell you he wants to have a career as a professional soccer player. And I promise you this is not a passing phase. This kid is in it for life.. either as a spectator or a manger or a coach or a player.

So it does appear he's still got untapped potential. It's too soon to know how far this kid can go, but beside that we definitely know he has this unyielding love and commitment for the game.. but what does this mean for us as parents? How much should we be investing into this? Most of you know that our finances are fine, it's just a matter of pivoting and realigning our priorities. But most of these other programs involve serious commutes across the city, multiple times a week. And travel, either into other states or even other countries. I would probably have to limit my work which will bring down our income. I would become.... a soccer mom.

The club he is in currently is designed to put him in tournaments where there will be scouts.. but only one this year. If he places into the A team he'll have more opportunities, but what I don't know is what these club-affiliated programs, the ones affiliated with national and international clubs like from Spain or the Premier League.. I don't know if paying the premium in time and expense is "worth" it. So for example, I could have him try out for the Sounders Academy... just an example of what I mean...

Can anyone help? I've read online that a lot of this stuff is a waste of money. That the most important thing for your kid is simply to play games.. can even include street games. No special, foreign affiliations required.
What position does your kid play? I am guessing defense right? Defense is more natural than offense, so I figure that is how is doing so well with little formal experience as the other kids.

The thing with soccer is it is the easiest sport to go pro in some form. There are so many teams around the world literally. You dont have to 6'6" to play or get noticed.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What position does your kid play? I am guessing defense right? Defense is more natural than offense, so I figure that is how is doing so well with little formal experience as the other kids.

The thing with soccer is it is the easiest sport to go pro in some form. There are so many teams around the world literally. You dont have to 6'6" to play or get noticed.
He is right winger most of the time. Sometimes he is center striker, sometimes left winger. Last practice he was mid-field, but half the team was at soccer camp, including most of the mid-field players.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
The chances of him even getting a scholarship to a college is like 2%. The odds of him making a living at it way lower!
If you got the extra coin to spend and he likes it then spend away. They are only a kid once. But don’t expect he will be on the US Olympic team just because you pay for “top notch” training.
Now that MLS, and the USL have academy teams, that is probably better way of getting ahead, and bypassing college.

There is a really good VLOG on youtube called Become Elite. Its by a guy playing in the USL. He goes over his life experiences as a professional soccer player and his journey.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
He is right winger most of the time. Sometimes he is center striker, sometimes left winger. Last practice he was mid-field, but half the team was at soccer camp, including most of the mid-field players.
Huh, does he have a lot of street soccer experience then? Offense is usually harder because of ball control. He has to know 1v1.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:16 PM

77 posts, read 53,919 times
25 years coaching. Club will use you and your kid. It's money coach makes money off of you.
He gets hurt they will not contact you. Most college coach's want kids that do a lot of sports in high school. That's the store line, college coach go to club game no they do not. He will be burned out or injured. High school sports will get you into college if you are good. I've seen so many kids never do sports after hs because they were burned out. Take the money and put it in the S&P and use it for college. Let the kid enjoys being a kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance