Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Is this wedding in south carolina?

Doing a google search, I saw "certain services" can charge sales tax. Don't know which.

And SC sales tax is 6%, with a possible additional 1% added by vote of the local jurisdiction.

Maybe the link was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 09:26 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Tell the daughter to shove it if you don’t have 25k or don’t want to spend that much. Time to put her big girl pants on and work hard if she wants to throw a party that cost 5-10k a hour

Old 07-25-2019, 10:44 AM

155 posts, read 248,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Tell the daughter to shove it if you don’t have 25k or don’t want to spend that much. Time to put her big girl pants on and work hard if she wants to throw a party that cost 5-10k a hour
My apoligies, I was not clear...
I want to pay for her wedding, it's my pleasure.
Just asking if sales tax is due for certain costs.
That's it...

Old 07-25-2019, 11:57 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is this wedding in south carolina?

Doing a google search, I saw "certain services" can charge sales tax. Don't know which.

And SC sales tax is 6%, with a possible additional 1% added by vote of the local jurisdiction.
Up to 3% can be added by local jurisdiction for a max of 9%. And yes, it can be added for various services as well as goods and prepared meals.

And I'm Italian....big family weddings are a tradition that's hard to break.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-25-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 12:02 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
That's it...

You were clear. The frugal folks on this forum just seem to have a problem when other people spend money on things they wouldn't.

To (sort of) answer your question, sales tax on services varies by state. It gets really weird sometimes. I remember reading that in NJ (or maybe it was NY) photography services aren't taxable but the minute you give them a physical item (a print), it is then taxable. Very odd. Check state tax laws wherever the wedding is taking place.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:37 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Weddings cost a lot of money, there’s no way around it. We’ve planned very frugally and it’ll still run $17-18,000 and we’ve multi bid every item, shopped around, aren’t inviting random people and have kept it a small list, and that price doesn’t even include the $3,000 wedding dress her mom bought for her. Weddings are an absolute ripoff.

Oregon has no sales tax, you can have a destination wedding here!

Old 07-25-2019, 12:39 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:
That's it...
If the vendor is charging it, and showing it as a separate line item on the bill they're giving you, you can be confident that the charge is correct. If it's shown as tax on the bill, they're required to remit it to the state. It's not how some vendors make a few extra $'s to show a charge as sales tax and pocket the money.

Most vendors will go through whatever they have to to make an item nontaxable if its possible. That's because they're competitors are doing the same thing. To get underpriced by a competitor because you charged tax and they didn't is not a reason anyone wants to lose a sale.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:11 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
You were clear. The frugal folks on this forum just seem to have a problem when other people spend money on things they wouldn't.
Well, no, I don't think the post actually was clear. This sounded as if he was paying only because it was the custom. I mean, that IS a "sad face" icon, right?

Quote:

My daughter is going to marry, and per USA mores, I'm going to pay for the wedding

Now he has cleared that up. Congrats to the family.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Weddings cost a lot of money, there’s no way around it.
There are plenty of ways around it. P-L-E-N-T-Y just because you or others don't choose those route don’t mean they don’t exist

Quote:
We’ve planned very frugally and it’ll still run $17-18,000 and we’ve multi bid every item, shopped around, aren’t inviting random people and have kept it a small list, and that price doesn’t even include the $3,000 wedding dress her mom bought for her. Weddings are an absolute ripoff.

Oregon has no sales tax, you can have a destination wedding here!
A 3k dress is well beyond necessary as well just case and point you first comment was just off base

Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Hahaha yeah ok dude! Well if you and a bride want to have a 10-person wedding in the woods, go for it. Every cheap budget wedding I went to was a total embarrassment to the couple getting married and certainly not what I’d want. Weddings ARE expensive if they’re don’t even halfway right. We’ve saved money everywhere possible - the valet parking company was a client of mine so we got a discount, location is free, rehearsal dinner just doing pickup Thai food, and our catering company was the least expensive we found, but when you have a wedding there are tons of significant expenses even if you do your best to save money. Your comment is completely off base and simply idiotic. Why don’t you use Google?! Try “average cost of wedding,” then come back here and tell me I’m off base. What a stupid remark.

As for the wedding dress, so what?! It’s a present and her mom’s only contribution to the wedding. It’s the dress she wanted and didn’t affect our budget at all. I agree it’s ludicrous, I think the whole buying a dress to wear once is totally ludicrous, but I’m not a chick so I don’t get a say in what is or isn’t important with that. I’m just wearing my custom suit to save money, not even renting a tux. You can’t get a much better savings than we’ve had overall and it’s still over $15,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance