Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:44 PM

155 posts, read 247,685 times

Advertisements

Good evening all,

I'm foreigner, so I don't know that much about the fiscal law.

My daughter is going to marry, and per USA mores, I'm going to pay for the wedding

She hired a catering company, which is providing all service: decor, food, open bar, rentals (chairs, tables, etc,), stuffing).

The estimate this company did is around $25,000, plus they added Sales Tax 9%

My question: does sales tax apply to all these charges ?

It is not due only for "sales" ?
Are rentals, food preparation, stuffing, considered a "sale" ?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 08:49 PM

1,210 posts, read 883,396 times
$25K?
Think about this before you make any more decisions.
Invest it and that money will double every 7 years, $50K, $100K, $200K at 21 years.
Or they can buy a new minivan.
Or they can put a down payment on a house
Or they can start on a college fund.
Or....they can have a four hour party.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:56 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
Good evening all,

I'm foreigner, so I don't know that much about the fiscal law.

My daughter is going to marry, and per USA mores, I'm going to pay for the wedding

She hired a catering company, which is providing all service: decor, food, open bar, rentals (chairs, tables, etc,), stuffing).

The estimate this company did is around $25,000, plus they added Sales Tax 9%

My question: does sales tax apply to all these charges ?

It is not due only for "sales" ?
Are rentals, food preparation, stuffing, considered a "sale" ?

Thank you
Is the estimate itemized? It should be. If not, request to see all the separate charges.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:30 AM

5,433 posts, read 4,006,922 times
I think there are plenty of couples who pay for all or some of their own wedding. They ARE grown-up people with jobs, aren't they? Don't let them guilt you into paying for it, unless that is what you want to do.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Is the estimate itemized? It should be. If not, request to see all the separate charges.
Yes, everything is itemized, that's why I ask.
I'm ok paying the sales tax for flowers, it's a sale, but why should I pay it for the bartenders ?
Just two samples, but I think I should pay sales tax only for real sales, not for work or services.
Am I right ?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
$25K?
Think about this before you make any more decisions.
Invest it and that money will double every 7 years, $50K, $100K, $200K at 21 years.
Or they can buy a new minivan.
Or they can put a down payment on a house
Or they can start on a college fund.
Or....they can have a four hour party.

Ha ha, I hear you !
But I'm pretty good on financial side and my daughter knows, plus we are Italians....
I'm not greed and I like to spend my money, but the reason I have savings and I own houses to rent, is because I don't waste my money.
That's why I don't like to spend money on sales taxes if not due.
Thank you

Old 07-25-2019, 05:56 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
Sales tax can be charged on services as well as physical items. State laws vary.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,955,366 times
Does amount also include the "Tips"?

You will be expected to Tip the Bartenders, the Wait staff, Often they include a 15-20% tip in the invoice (That should NOT be sales taxed).

That may or may NOT be included in the 25K that was given to you.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:04 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,251,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sales tax can be charged on services as well as physical items. State laws vary.
This. My guess is that the estimate was generated by a computer and the appropriate sales taxes were included, but you might want to check your own state laws to see if sales taxes apply to services.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:21 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
Yes, everything is itemized, that's why I ask.
I'm ok paying the sales tax for flowers, it's a sale, but why should I pay it for the bartenders ?
Just two samples, but I think I should pay sales tax only for real sales, not for work or services.
Am I right ?
I understand, but I believe it's similar to having your car repaired or a house remodeled. In both situations you pay for "parts and labor". Same would go for paying for a wedding cake (where the cake's ingredients are usually simple and cheap). In fact, I just pulled up an invoice for a recent clutch replacement on my car. Everything is itemized so I can see three separate charges for the labor of replacing a clutch, front end alignment and a software reprogram.. and the tax was on the total, not on each item, not only on the parts themselves.

I live in WA state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance