Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:50 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDmenen View Post
I don't know if im the only person who struggles with this but I have issues asking for help, especially financial help... Im more of the suffer in silence kind of person and at this point in my life that mind-set is seriously not going to make the cut and im going to drown. How do I learn to ask for
A lot of people, (maybe most) find themselves in this kind of situation, at least once if they live long enough. I think the answer to your question, and probably why the thread got moved from the other sub forum to Personal Finance, is probably not “Here’s how to ask for help” it’s not going to get you anywhere to rely on others for financial help in the time of need. There may be a Food Shelf or something similar in you area, that at least would cut your food bill. The help you need is information on how to earn more money, how to then live within your means. You really don’t want to get get good at asking for help in $$. Your friends and family won’t appreciate that.

I’ve worked two jobs before, for a couple of years. No choice, if I didn’t have a teenager at home at the time, I would have worked even more. You’ve mentioned you’re making very little money, keep your eyes open for add’l part time, a better paying full time, there are also good self-help sites in personal finance online. The “trick” for a more fulfilling life would be to learn how to not have to ask for help.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 10:46 AM

3,043 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Read Dave Ramsey. He's perfect for someone who doesn't know how to manage money or how to ask the right questions. He provides baby steps to follow to get your finances in shape, get out of debt, learn about the basics of money. People in over their head are helped with his steps.

You can find his books at the library. You don't need to purchase anything of his, just read about the (7) baby steps. He also has a website (again, don't buy anything, it's NOT needed).
You can find Dave Ramsey online. From there maybe you can find a local church or some place that presents the material in his course. There may also be a link to his daily radio show that may be broadcast in your area.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:26 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
DDmenen,

20 years ago, i was dead broke and homeless, literally actually living under a bridge next to the RR tracks. It was a comfort to know 4:05am transcontinental freight train was running on time.
I was broke due to running through $100k i saved in my 20s while working in the 80s because of medical bills and to live since spending 8 of a 12 month period in the hospital meant i couldn't work.

20 years ago, my OH (Other Half=spouse)was just out of bankruptcy.

Neither us, alone or together, had two nickles to rub together. My OH DID own an old trailer home. We both had problematic cars, one had no heat, one had to run heat even on hot days to reduce engine heat as the fan didnt work, for example...which one to take somewhere, for example ( the vehicles had other problems too, no $$$ to fix them. )

I also was applying for SSDI fir the 3rd time, appealed to Admin Law Judge, who had an 8 1/2" medical records file on me and passed me with no problem.

BUT: now we:
1) own a house, put 10% down, and have it half paid for in just 4 years.
2) in march '14, we paid cash for my OH s brand new vehicle. My OH was 55 at the time, and had NEVER had a brand new vehicle, ever, so i said we'd spring for a brand new one.
3) have money in the banks and Roth IRA s, not much, meaning far from enough to retire on, but at least we have SOMETHING.
4) we bought my now 13 yr old vehicle in 10 @4 yrs old, financed for 5 yrs, but paid for in 2yrs, 3 mos, less than half the loan term.

My point IS:

1) You need to pull yourself up by bootstraps and put nose to grindstone and WORK at changing your life.
2) update work skills, go back to school, get OTJ training in a trade, etc.
3) figure out how to a) not spend so much; b) save what you dont spend.
4) sell off stuff you dont need or use.
5) adopt a minimalist lifestyle, having few possessions, and saving as much as you can
6) read or watch YouTube on minimalist and FIRE movements (Financially Independent, Retire Early).
7) watch Dave Ramsey's YouTube videos and buy a book or two of his, hes worth $55million now, in just about 30 yrars, and is 58( i think). He was a multimillionaire at age 26, dead broke by 28.
8) pay attention to what Warren Buffett does, he started making goid money at about age 55 also.

Best of luck to you,
But YOU and only YOU can change your life.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance