Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 11:34 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Just another 'cautionary' tale of student debt gone amok.

Clearly they made some very bad choices when it came to education. And now they are hoping to get their debt erased.

I applaud them for going to school and getting degrees, don't get me wrong, but what they did after should serve as warnings to other.

Don't continue your education, especially expensive schools, if you don't have clear goals or backup plans.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/stude...123012964.html

Quote:
Today, we are eager to provide a fruitful life for our two children. We desire to give back to our community, support businesses and help our parents. The expectation was to work and support our families in a country that would support us in return. But the high tuition costs and ballooning interest rates limit us. I feel that Americans are sold a dream and then punished for pursuing it.

I hope that our nation will learn to empathize with others and value its citizens more than monetary gain. The future should look bright for us, but life currently resembles rush-hour traffic while driving through a dark tunnel. My husband and I have experienced many struggles and, with perseverance, have overcome those barriers. Whether or not our student loans are erased, we’ve found our peace and will pay it off slowly. Although our debt cannot be avoided, it does not rule our lives, it will not stop us from being happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 11:44 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
That level of whining and blaming is actually painful to the human spirit to read.

Her husband took on 80k of debt then failed his tests to accepted to the dental program. That’s not being denied anything by society. That’s not being good enough to meet the baseline bar to start the process of getting into a profession. Sorry?

Then she quit working...and had kids to raise at home. Ok? She wasn’t “denied” the American dream. In fact, her first degree had the “majority of tuition aid by scholarships”. She left the workforce by choice. Then she took on another 60k of debt to fill a Boredom void. Alright? It’s real great you have an MBA...with exactly zero management experience. And clearly no ability to make objective decisions and still somehow having a complete lack of education in the most basic concepts of finance.

It’s obviously a plug for her “writing career” as she gives the false modesty “I didn’t believe in my writing!” While throwing out this piece, which is just a shameless self serving endorsement for Bernie’s pie in the sky stupidity.

I don’t give a **** that she “fell in love” with her husband in 2nd grade in the sandbox. And I don’t care what her race is.

Next...

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-03-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 11:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times
"The school launched a scholarship program for underprivileged students." aka Affirmative Action
"I feel that Americans are sold a dream and then punished for pursuing it." Victimology 101: someone else's fault.
"when presidential candidate Bernie Sanders announced his plan to cancel all $1.6 trillion of student debts if elected. " Buying votes.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
"The school launched a scholarship program for underprivileged students." aka Affirmative Action
"I feel that Americans are sold a dream and then punished for pursuing it." Victimology 101: someone else's fault.
"when presidential candidate Bernie Sanders announced his plan to cancel all $1.6 trillion of student debts if elected. " Buying votes.
Yeah, it’s an embarrassment from top to bottom.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
get 2 jobs each, you'll have it paid off in a couple years. Nobody else is going to pay it off, don't listen to the nitwits.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:11 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Another "hold my beer and fund my account".

Old 08-03-2019, 01:12 PM

No, no there’s no job! He’s got another 500k to borrow.

Taxpayers subsidized her undergrad degree (you know, the one at the school she chose because of the mail pamphlet and beautiful campus and not for its job placement, accreditation’s, or cost). She still borrows 20k more anyways to fund her lifestyle. They fund their life style further with multiple more advanced degrees while not working. Of course, buying a home, having 2 kids, and getting married.

The best part of this article is they’re in 250k of debt now (and their answer is to repeat the same thinking that built this first 250k by....not working and taking on more debt for future jobs) ...but project it will be 720k in the future now that old Otis has a second chance at his dental dream. He failed the entry point to dental school...and now he’s going to succeed in school and get his license! So, they want a few more years of not working and being subsidized with taxpayer money....so then they can walk away from an even bigger pile. Then he’ll have so much debt if he actually finishes (he won’t) that he won’t have money to start his own practice or be able to secure borrowing...so he’ll get less income working for others.

I wouldn’t let Otis near my teeth....unless I could just you know...walk away from the bill.

And then of course, instead of capping the endless money spigot with no regard for lending risk (which is what actually pushes up the cost of education and misallocation of funding to the wrong programs and wrong people) the government proposes to just eliminate the debt. Because...they want votes. Not to fix the problem of college costs. The costs driven up by government interference to “bring down cost”. Try walking into a bank with no business plan, no assets, no income and saying I want 700k, to “chase my dream”. Report back what happens.

Also, what kind of person thinks 700k of personal debt and not having income streams is the path out of poverty? An MBA worth hiring? Lol....

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-03-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 01:39 PM

940 posts, read 968,995 times
This will be the norm if college is free. Everyone will go and fund their lifestyle with additional debt and then call for THAT to be canceled.

Making people have skin the the game is important as it gives them a reason to try and succeed.

Allowing colleges to charge whatever they want without repercussions to getting the debt paid however is an issue.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:40 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Wow. Just wow. My brother went to Miami of Ohio in the early 1980s. He got a BA in Accounting, became a CPA and Dad thinks he may be pulling in over $1 million/year as a tax partner in a large firm. Dad himself came from modest means: a dozen aunts and uncles on EACH of his mother's and his father's sides. Grandpa worked in a factory. Dad got through the University of Cincinnati Co-op program in the Engineering School- you work one quarter, attend school one quarter.. the work quarters are all at a "co-op" employer in your chosen field, with increasing responsibility each time you return. Grandpa wasn't really crazy about the idea- he may have thought it was something "their kind" didn't do- but Dad succeeded. When I was at UC (Class of 1975), the Engineering majors I knew were pretty much paying 100% of their college costs if they had a co-op job in their home town.

I won't cast stones at her for choosing Miami of Ohio because of a brochure (doubt there was money to go visiting colleges) or liking the pretty campus- I went to UC because I was dating a guy who had gone there. Except he transferred to U of AZ before I even arrived. ;-)

So, I don't buy the whole "we were victims, we had no role models" line. Clearly they're smart, ambitious, hard-working and could have chosen a better path. And I agree with the previous poster- what MBA makes those kinds of financial decisions?

Last edited by athena53; 08-03-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 01:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just another 'cautionary' tale of student debt gone amok.
It's stories like this extreme example that move me to suggest
that being able to support yourself should be a pre-req for admission to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance