Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 12:17 AM

454 posts, read 447,986 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else use this?

I have bank of america bank account and also a capital one 360 bank account. I have transferred money before to others using the boa to boa transfer online option where there is no charge at all. I also have receive funds from others via boa online.

I recently got a transfer from someone who used chase quickpay to my bank of america account. I know that works but i previously did this with someone else. Well when the transfer showed up in my account, it shows as zelle transfer. Does that mean im registered with zelle because i received an online transfer that shows zelle? I registered my email address with my bank of america account online to receive transfers. Im not sure if i did this with zelle or not with bank of america. Is there a way to find out when checking my account? I think i did this last time but not sure. Its the same email i used.

The other thing is i logged into my capital one 360 account and it also allows you to use zelle. Asked me for my email address or phone number. Now this is what confused me a bit. If i use the same email address as the one i have for bank of america, does that mean there are issues? Thus you can't use same email for boa and capital one? But if i want to receive money transfer to my capital one 360 account, use another email address of mine?

The thing that confuses me is zelle is partnered with many banks. So that seems confusing here because back then i would receive a transfer from chase quickpay to my bank of america and it showed up as chase quickpay transfer.

Also does that mean if i send a money transfer to someone using their email address... if they don't have boa and have another bank, i would be sending via zelle? But if they are boa account user like me, then i click on send to another bank of america user with their email address? I like the fact that you could send/receive money and there are no fees at all with this service of zelle. But it just confuses me with different banks and you could put email and or phone number. Anyone here used a phone number with zelle? Anyone that use zelle, what info did you ask for or give to others when you are sending or receiving? I assume name and email address or phone? But do you ask them what bank you are using? I know if you have chase and other user has chase, it would be chase quickpay etc. But i dont have chase account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 06:50 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
You would have agreed to the terms of Zelle through your BofA account. If you want to be able to send money between your BofA account and CapOne account utilizing Zelle you need to accept the terms of Zelle using an email address for one account and your cell phone with the other. Zelle only knows where to send the money using either the cell phone or email so you can’t use one of them for multiple accounts. If you attempt to Zelle someone money and their bank doesn’t participate in Zelle it turns into an ACH transaction and will take 1-3 days to complete. Zelle is pretty awesome only downside I see is that it’s only for US based accounts but that’s not really a limiting factor for me.

Fwiw it’s now chase quickpay with Zelle

Old 09-16-2018, 11:10 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I never heard of it but a few weeks ago my son started sending me money using it. Our little credit union doesn't participate so we set it up with the debit card from that account. Works great, no waiting on the payments.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I never heard of it but a few weeks ago my son started sending me money using it. Our little credit union doesn't participate so we set it up with the debit card from that account. Works great, no waiting on the payments.
So instead you have to make withdrawals from your son’s account? That doesn’t make much more sense than simply allowing the Zelle payment to convert to ach and hit your credit union account

Old 09-17-2018, 03:31 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Big PITA is the $1000 limit

Old 09-17-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Big PITA is the $1000 limit
That’s not Zelle’s limit, that’s a limit put on to you by your institution.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So instead you have to make withdrawals from your son’s account? That doesn’t make much more sense than simply allowing the Zelle payment to convert to ach and hit your credit union account
No, he sends a payment and it goes right into our credit union checking account through the debit card for that account.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, he sends a payment and it goes right into our credit union checking account through the debit card for that account.
That doesn’t make sense. There’s got to be a step missing, sending payments to your account through your debit card doesn’t compute

Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That doesn’t make sense. There’s got to be a step missing, sending payments to your account through your debit card doesn’t compute
I'm not questioning you but isn't that how the Facebook pay works as well? For me being a young person I'm so out of tune with these new age P2P money transfers. I still just use paypal and if somone needs money in a pinch I'll drive to their bank and deposit in their bank account.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I'm not questioning you but isn't that how the Facebook pay works as well? For me being a young person I'm so out of tune with these new age P2P money transfers. I still just use paypal and if somone needs money in a pinch I'll drive to their bank and deposit in their bank account.

Facebook pay does work through a debit card offering but takes up to three days to complete. PayPal isn’t instant to your bank account either, someone send you money to your PayPal and then you have to send it to your bank. Zelle facilitates it straight through even if it converts to ach which in the end does the same thing with less work. I use PayPal and Zelle, haven’t used Venmo or Facebook pay as I don’t see any additional benefits

I might have read the prior response wrong, I read it again and it looks like they might have setup the debit card with Zelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance