Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 12:49 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

The savings would be something around 1000-1400 vs making an extra 5400 payment a month if the credit card didn’t charge anything to take the draw down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 01:12 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Did you take your tax deduction for mortgage interest into account in thinking about this? Is that reflected in your total monthly savings?

Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post

Instead of using money from other investments to use this, I am wondering if it is possible to
get first 12/first 18 months (introductory) 0% APR credit cards to borrow cash and use that to pay off the mortgage.
I'm aware of 0% balance transfer offers, but the ones I've seen come with a transfer fee of 3% of the amount transferred. So I think you should double-check that.

Also, I don't think there is any possibility that you will get 1 credit card for $65k, most likely you will need 5 or more to get that kind of money. And I think you will not be successful to be approved for 5 new credit cards in a short period of time.

So I don't think your plan will work.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:23 PM

658 posts, read 723,767 times
I see what you are trying to do, but you still not debt free free, you still paying another debt which is the credit card you cashed out from. Realistically debt free to me mean -- aside from paying food, usual personal items, utilities, and house taxes, I should not be paying anything else to live.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:17 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Did you take your tax deduction for mortgage interest into account in thinking about this? Is that reflected in your total monthly savings?
Based on my tax returns last 5 years, I am not getting any tax deduction for mortgage interest savings. So I dont think it comes into the mixture for the savings.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01
Though I have only 4.125% interest rate in my mortgage...
I have about $65K in mortgage balance that I am planning to payoff as soon as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? Assuming a lot of things... that balance and those payments should be almost all principle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Based on my tax returns last 5 years, I am not getting any tax deduction for mortgage interest savings.
Again... How little interest could you be paying at this point?

Old 08-30-2019, 04:19 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Sounds like a good way to complicate what should be a simple transaction. Pay down the mortgage to the 65,000 and then make extra payments until paid off. Less stress and no complications.
The more moving parts in a plan, the more ways for it to go wrong.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Why wouldn't you just send extra money in your mortgage payment instead? I kinda get that you would like to take advantage of potential rewards points on the credit card but if they charge you 3%, it's not really worth it.

prepaying the mortgage gives you the flexibility of just not paying extra if you have an emergency or lose your job.

when we were still a 2 income family, I was sending extra payments every month and managed to reduce my mortgage by roughly $10k before her company started experiencing trouble and she took an early separation package.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:01 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Why wouldn't you just send extra money in your mortgage payment instead? I kinda get that you would like to take advantage of potential rewards points on the credit card but if they charge you 3%, it's not really worth it.

prepaying the mortgage gives you the flexibility of just not paying extra if you have an emergency or lose your job.

when we were still a 2 income family, I was sending extra payments every month and managed to reduce my mortgage by roughly $10k before her company started experiencing trouble and she took an early separation package.

There’s no rewards points potential here. The savings comes down to roughly 1000-1500 at best if the credit card company or companies doesn’t charge a fee on the transactions.

Also a great point already made above, if you don’t already have availability on all your cards to draw this much cash @ 0% it’s not going to be easy to start now and get approved for that much

Old 08-31-2019, 09:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Simply pre-paying your mortgage will accomplish the same thing, without adding another layer of debt on top of your mortgage. This will give you more payment and money/asset management flexibility.

Another layer of CC debt will not change the terms of your underlying mortgage, but, can negatively affect your credit rating, limit your ability to borrow further if you actually need it and leave you in jeopardy of higher CC payments if everything doesn't work according to plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance