Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I look at it like this.

Most women are now earning their own incomes. Having your own income means you can be flexible with whom you pair up, if you pair up at all. Generally, the women don't need to marry a man to have income coming in. The women have far more options.

The flip side of that is that it can be tougher for some men to find a partner since the women are more financially secure. A financially independent woman may not see a lower earning man as a viable partner.

Divorce court and family law are generally biased against men. With around half of all marriages ending in divorce, it can be financially devastating for a man to be paying child support and alimony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I tend to doubt this. Most busy dual-income couples pay for housekeeping services; it’s a minimal cost, especially compared to time/stress savings. Economically empowered couples tend to be happier, not less so, in their relationships (and subsequent) marriages. They aren’t present because they have to be - but rather, it is out of choice.
Here's one study.

Here's another study.

Here's a third study.

Shall I go on? Basically, you just need to ask any married woman, especially those with kids. And, btw, even when there is a cleaning service or maid that comes every couple of weeks, who do you think typically handles the scheduling and logistics and does the pre-cleaning pickup of toys & crap?

Most men may think they're carrying half the load, but the reality is way different. Hint: any man who uses the word "help" isn't carrying 50%.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 AM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Here's one study.

Here's another study.

Here's a third study.

Shall I go on? Basically, you just need to ask any married woman, especially those with kids. And, btw, even when there is a cleaning service or maid that comes every couple of weeks, who do you think typically handles the scheduling and logistics and does the pre-cleaning pickup of toys & crap?

Most men may think they're carrying half the load, but the reality is way different. Hint: any man who uses the word "help" isn't carrying 50%.

Why does he need to carry 50%? As if that is a magic or required number? It's a personal thing determined and defined by the individual relationship being examined. That's just petty thinking. There is no magic required amount of "help" or perceived "help" or contribution by either party regarding anything. Only what they decide is acceptable or necessary is relevant.

So many people suffer from nothing more than poor judgment in relationships then want to be pitied or something. Take some responsibility for personal decisions. Or maybe some people love to create false "requirements" just so they can complain about "how hard they work" and how they're being screwed by the other party.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
These days it's SAHMs who are looked down on, which is just as wrong/sad. A person should be able to choose to stay home with their children, without being judged by the rest of society.
You are so right. The days when Oprah said parenting is the hardest job in the world is gone. But society eventually looks down on what's current and then change what's current. Maybe in years, we'll see that the working woman trend will get boring, and then the trend will swing back to SAHMs being respected.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which brings us back to the nitty-gritty and the actual issues:
If you AREN'T high(er) earning you aren't economically empowered.
Being aspirational isn't enough.
It IS enough if there are also avenues to pursue those aspirations. Today, there are such avenues. No woman is required to stay in a marriage she doesn't want to stay in simply because of her current financial situation. She doesnt need her husband's permission to open a bank account or apply for a student loan.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:20 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
[URL="https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/26/success/millennial-women-income/index.html"]Here's one study.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6086200/"]Here's another study.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.babble.com/parenting/housework-studies-council-of-contemporary-families/"]Here's a third study.[/URL]

Yes... My husband. About once a month or every three weeks he'll clean the dishes FROM HEATING UP LEFTOVERS and in his mind he's a regular old "Mr. Mom". And don't argue about it with him either.

I have to pick my battles and that one isn't worth it... I give him credit because he grew up in a family that had a gardener, maid and cook and at one point those three positions were filled by three different people.

Also, I recognize that the definition of organized and clean means something different to different people. I want my home to look and feel like a quality hotel at all times. I assure you as a domestic service provider not all my clients keep their homes the way I keep mine.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:20 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Divorce court and family law are generally biased against men. With around half of all marriages ending in divorce, it can be financially devastating for a man to be paying child support and alimony.
I don't know if lifetime alimony is even awarded in all states now, I think not. But the whole alimony system should be dumped altogether. No adult should have to financially support a person they are no longer married to. That is absurd. The only exception I can think of, is if one spouse caused the other one to be injured and disabled somehow, thus rendering them unable to work after the divorce. But I can't think of any other reason.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Also most married women still perform most of the domestic chores even if their career and income is greater than their husband's. Who wants that?
That's at least partly due to evolutionary biology. Women are pickier about chores and whatnot than men are. In general, men think the house is good enough as is; women don't. So women end up doing more housework as a result.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:25 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
We need immigration if we are going to continue to be a world leader.
The devil is in the details on that. We need high skill immigrants, not poor people from the 3rd world who will be a net drain on the tax base.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It (being aspirational) IS enough if there are also avenues to pursue those aspirations.
Today, there are such avenues.
Nope. Pursuing, however difficult or noble or not, isn't enough by itself.
The empowerment line is drawn at whether the goals and objective measures are also achieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance