Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 09:45 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it sure is expensive in manhattan .. but that does not change what it cost to buy that proverbial middle class lifestyle for those who live there ....
This is what you wrote

Quote:
no i don't agree .

i have no idea nor would i guess at their lifestyle and what they expect it to be where they live .. unlike others here who like to decide where others should live and what their lifestyles should consist of or be limited to, in order to consider them middle class lifestyles
Manhattan is the equivalent of living in an affluent area of any city or metro, so I'm having trouble understanding. I thought you generally agreed that other areas of NYC metro are more affordable and that because of that choosing to live in a more expensive area of NYC is a "choice" just like buying a Tesla model S over a Honda Civic is a "choice" but then you go back and say you wouldn't move all around the country, so where you choose to live dictates your middle class lifestyle cost. No one is disagreeing that middle class costs are different when you compare NYC metro to say Saint Louis metro, what we are disagreeing with is that identifying the most desirable part of a metro to live in and saying you must live there and then determining how much you have left after that to spend and finding that is equivalent to a middle class lifestyle is being dishonest. Why stop at Manhattan? Why not say you have live in a Penthouse in Manhattan? What's really the difference at that point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 09:47 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
This is what you wrote

Manhattan is the equivalent of living in an affluent area of any city or metro, so I'm having trouble understanding. I thought you generally agreed that other areas of NYC metro are more affordable and that because of that choosing to live in a more expensive area of NYC is a "choice" just like buying a Tesla model S over a Honda Civic is a "choice" but then you go back and say you wouldn't move all around the country, so where you choose to live dictates your middle class lifestyle cost. No one is disagreeing that middle class costs are different when you compare NYC metro to say Saint Louis metro, what we are disagreeing with is that identifying the most desirable part of a metro to live in and saying you must live there and then determining how much you have left after that to spend and finding that is equivalent to a middle class lifestyle is being dishonest. Why stop at Manhattan? Why not say you have live in a Penthouse in Manhattan? What's really the difference at that point?
that is exactly what i am saying ... where one chooses to live , and what their own expectations are for living that proverbial middle class lifestyle determines what income they need . nothing else matters to them except what it takes where they are .... if we lived in manhattan our income needs would be totally different then queens .

Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
that is exactly what i am saying ... where one chooses to live , and what their own expectations are for living that proverbial middle class lifestyle determines what income they need
So you are saying someone who chooses to live in a Manhattan penthouse may need ~1 million in annual income to live a middle class lifestyle after the monthly payments on the property, thus they would still be considered middle class? How is that different than the family in Saint Louis choosing to live in Ladue, where 1.25 million gets you a 3k sq ft older home, saying you need $300k/yr to live a middle class lifestyle in STL?

And to add to that, you really can't stop at the desirability of the location if you are saying that is irrelevant to determining what is a middle class lifestyle.

That would have to apply to the desirability of everything they purchase as long as it's equivalent to a middle class lifestyle.

If I determine I need a Tesla Model S as my car, it's still a car, similar to the guy in New Jersey driving a Honda CRV. We both have cars...and that's part of the middle class lifestyle. Same goes for vacations, he could go to the Poconos and I could go to Fiji, we both went on vacations. I send my kids to private expensive unis for college, he sends his to CUNY schools.

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 10-01-2019 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-01-2019, 09:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 667,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yes, areas of Englewood are very nice, but Englewood also has some areas that are not so nice. Bergen County has a lot of beautiful areas, like Alpine, Tenafly, Saddle River, Englewood Cliffs.

In Essex County, you have Short Hills and Essex Fells, also Livingston and North Caldwell are mostly more upper middle than upper, but they do have certain areas within the towns where the homes are all $2M and up.

If you are looking for more of a country estate a little farther out, there is Morris and Somerset Counties with towns like Mendham, Peapack Gladstone, Far Hills, and parts of Bernardsville.

Greenwich CT is beautiful. If you are looking for something comparable to Greenwich, I would stick with either Alpine or Short Hills.
Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in moving as I am perfectly fine on the west coast, but just wanted to familiarize myself better with the wealthier areas in the tri-state area. Whenever I go to NYC for business it's good to have an idea of what these places are some of my colleagues are talking about.

Personally I liked the looks of the areas closer to the Hudson River that you mentioned as opposed to the ones that were west of Newark.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:06 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I wish I could live in the Upper East Side and just be "middle class."

That sounds like the ticket.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:26 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
district 25

What do you do if your kids can't get in to Townsend or any other admissions based school? Send them to school in Flushing High?

I'd say space and schools are in the top 3 reasons families move out of NYC. It's not unrealistic to say that those making $350K would move to Scarsdale, Jericho, or somewhere in NJ, where property taxes are also very high.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I wish I could live in the Upper East Side and just be "middle class."

That sounds like the ticket.
Ticket to what? I have a tenant who makes less than the Manhattan median income and lives by herself in the UES. What's that prove?

Old 10-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
What do you do if your kids can't get in to Townsend or any other admissions based school? Send them to school in Flushing High?

I'd say space and schools are in the top 3 reasons families move out of NYC. It's not unrealistic to say that those making $350K would move to Scarsdale, Jericho, or somewhere in NJ, where property taxes are also very high.
My son graduated along time ago but he went to Francis Lewis and my daughter to Robert kennedy

Old 10-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in moving as I am perfectly fine on the west coast, but just wanted to familiarize myself better with the wealthier areas in the tri-state area. Whenever I go to NYC for business it's good to have an idea of what these places are some of my colleagues are talking about.

Personally I liked the looks of the areas closer to the Hudson River that you mentioned as opposed to the ones that were west of Newark.
NY MSA is difficult because people can say "live in Jersey," and that can mean anything from downtown Newark (bad) to multi-million dollar mansions. If you ask people not from the area, they often think Westchester is 'upstate,' when in fact parts of Westchester (the county is huge) is a faster commute than parts of NYC. Some people think Westchester is fancy or upper class, but if you go to South Yonkers (where some of the bad elements of the Bronx have been priced out), near the jail, you should bring a gun.

Long Island has the same problem. It has it's own highs and lows and there's so many towns it's pretty hard to know which are nice and which are not.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Ticket to what? I have a tenant who makes less than the Manhattan median income and lives by herself in the UES. What's that prove?
Exactly ..all our tenants lived opposite Central Park ....more than half of all rentals in nyc , not just manhattan are rent stabilized .....most took our lease buy out offers just because when they reached retirement they knew they could not afford to live there ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance