Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 12:36 PM

50,155 posts, read 35,825,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So to be clear, you're using a philosophical stance on government inefficiency as an excuse to justify the fact that you won't give money to help people in need?

It's debatable if that's the best way to help anyone in need. Those people who call you are not police or firefighters, they are calling from for-profit professional fundraising centers and get a large percentage of whatever you give. In some cases the group they are collecting for won't get more than 30 or 40% of the donation. Others are outright scams.

Professional police and fire organizations don't need charity, volunteers do, and I get them when they are standing in the intersection with their boots out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
are you aware that police steal more private property through civil asset forfeiture than all the burglaries combined? they are just a gang of criminals. you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

i am aware that there seems to be some grants that firefighters (and maybe others) get that require the local department to raise a certain % of the money to get the additional money. its absolutely ridiculous, if its a required expense then may as well pay out of taxes or dont get it at all. they turn firemen into beggars on the street.

It;s not even in the top ten of most dangerous jobs. If the criteria for compensation is the degree to which they are risking their lives, then cab drivers and electrical workers should make more than cops because statistically they are much more dangerous jobs. The vast, vast majority of cops will never need to pull their guns out of their holsters but will spend 20 years sitting behind bushes on the road, then collect a fat pension for it. Not that it's not an important job, but the idea that they are somehow altruistic heroes sacrificing themselves for the greater good is not accurate. In NJ, cops are very well compensated for what they do. Most go into it because of the good pay and excellent benefits, not because they have a burning desire to help humanity. In Ocean City, NJ, a town with year round population of a bit more than 11,000 and a practically non-existent violent crime rate, average police pay is $73,000 a year. And I'm supposed to contribute more to them?

Old 10-10-2019, 03:11 PM

37,449 posts, read 45,651,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It;s not even in the top ten of most dangerous jobs. If the criteria for compensation is the degree to which they are risking their lives, then cab drivers and electrical workers should make more than cops because statistically they are much more dangerous jobs. The vast, vast majority of cops will never need to pull their guns out of their holsters but will spend 20 years sitting behind bushes on the road, then collect a fat pension for it. Not that it's not an important job, but the idea that they are somehow altruistic heroes sacrificing themselves for the greater good is not accurate. In NJ, cops are very well compensated for what they do. Most go into it because of the good pay and excellent benefits, not because they have a burning desire to help humanity. In Ocean City, NJ, a town with year round population of a bit more than 11,000 and a practically non-existent violent crime rate, average police pay is $73,000 a year. And I'm supposed to contribute more to them?
Wow. I hope you never need a cop. A cab driver won’t do a damn thing to help you if you need it.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:25 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,753,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ocean City and the rest of the Jersey shore towns are unique with their police pay. Loved this article from a few years ago, $160k on average spent per cops. Back in 2016.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/...****-politics/

Old 10-10-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow. I hope you never need a cop. A cab driver won’t do a damn thing to help you if you need it.
So they won’t do the job they are paid for unless I show deference? I expect a cab driver to do exactly the job they are paid for and the same from a cop. I can’t as a taxpayer say $73,000 is enough to police a town with little crime and even less danger? When they retire in big beach houses cause they cash out 18 years of accumulated sick days at their current rate of pay, and I’m wrong to say they don’t need donations on top of all that? What did I say you find so offensive?

Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Ocean City and the rest of the Jersey shore towns are unique with their police pay. Loved this article from a few years ago, $160k on average spent per cops. Back in 2016.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/...****-politics/
Yes, this is always a huge issue at City Council meetings. A town where 75% at least of the property owners do not live there and do not use school or other services, is consistently broke because they are burdened by the weight of all the pensions. It is bankrupting them as well as the people who pay property taxes. They have the same number of full-time officers in the winter as they do in the summer. It’s ridiculous. It’s actually kind of funny except it’s not, but even at the tiniest fender bender in the winter half the police force and fire department will show up because they’re all on duty and there’s nothing else to do.

But apparently questioning the system is a no-no, cops are sacred, and the system they operate in above reproach, like Jesus.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:18 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,076,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So to be clear, you're using a philosophical stance on government inefficiency as an excuse to justify the fact that you won't give money to help people in need?
There are endless numbers of people "in need", billions if you count all those starving Biafrans. Then there are all those sad dogs in the pound hoping to be adopted, or the diseases where the researchers just need a few more of my dollars. Or I could give money to the March of Dimes where the disease was already cured. Or I could just give to United Way where I have no idea where the money goes.

Society needs to provide a safety net for citizens in need. I cannot personally make up for the poor showing society and our governments make in that regard.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:58 PM

6,794 posts, read 2,574,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Why give to any charity, of any kind, ever? Over the decades I have paid huge amounts in taxes which are supposed to provide help to those who need it. I cannot make up for the poor performance, graft and inefficiency of our government agencies.
I don't want my tax dollars going to "those in need". That is not the role of government.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:49 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,196,998 times
The former owner of my house ran a similar operation where he would solicit donations on behalf of PDs and FDs without their permission. Shady guy also left the bank holding a $1.2M mortgage that was never paid. 2006 was a crazy year.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/loca...ut-by-mistake/

E-Mail Forum

https://www.ocregister.com/2010/06/1...e-association/

Old 10-11-2019, 08:09 AM

804 posts, read 538,398 times
Okay what you say is that please do not call back this is the residence of an elderly person and we need the line open for emergency and ask them to put you on the "do not call list". Usually these call places target elderly people ( like my grandpa and grandmother ) and they will donate ( yes they do that ). My Grandfather has tons of the "dream catchers" all over his place. Same with my grandmother. These people will choke a chain against the elderly for just about everything and anything. Why? Because the elderly are usually being mistreated by their children and nobody interacts with them and they just watch TV 24/7 hours a day like a neglected child. That is why you are hearing those calls. Maybe some jerk in your family like a in-law gave them your number and address just not to get anymore alerts.

As somebody said these are legal charities where only %10 really has to go to the cause and the other %10 is pocketed in order for the whole thing to work. My Fathers wife ( not my mother ) works for one that literally give weapons to people in Israel called "Ameri.....something" and the ceo bragging to my father about how he is using the money ( like big limousines ). Another charity basically try to get Gentiles and jews to come and live n Israel for free where they will set up with a job and housing. Another charity person literally makes enough money to purchase boat. They buy the boat and put it on the charity tab, when not in use they do whatever they want with the boat. Somebody has to live in it. Usually when something is done they leave it behind but it is one of the buyers who actually looking to own the boat for themselves one day. "Wounded Warrior" a charity was found using funds for unnecessary purchases. Like when their leader ( ceo or whatever ) comes riding in on a horse and many vets are not really getting any help from them at all. They have events and things like that but it is not working fast enough. We are talking about vets who should automatically be covered for medical treatments ( like limbs, eyes, and getting back to being normal ). Big discussion right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance