Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 06:48 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,997,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I probably could, but I'd take a 50% paycut and likely have significantly inferior benefits.. Heck even if I took another job in the same area same thing. Finding a decent job in Chemistry took me 3 years of constant searching on my last job search.
Nice. So you like to take the high salary that comes with living in a blue state, but you don't want to pay the taxes that go along with it. Pretty much sums up the problem with your party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 06:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 15,749,883 times
Hmmm....politics in a finance thread. How unusual.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:29 AM

18,853 posts, read 8,508,289 times
Quote:
I probably could, but I'd take a 50% paycut and likely have significantly inferior benefits.. Heck even if I took another job in the same area same thing. Finding a decent job in Chemistry took me 3 years of constant searching on my last job search.
Interesting.

I was a dedicated chem major back in college Champaign-Urbana. Planned on research/teaching/doctorate until my research group up and moved to Australia. That was not in my cards at the time. So I decided to apply to med school, and eventually followed my geographical dream and moved to AZ. It took me about a year to find my final destination. Probably easier in medicine, at least back in 1980/1. Politics had nothing to do with it along the way. But I suspect it is easier and less taxed to live in my small rural conservative town, than back in Illinois these days.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:31 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It's a metaphor..
An omen.
A "sign".

.. of the quality and content in social discourse in the year 2020.

Oh how I love election years...

Old 12-18-2019, 09:18 AM

35,124 posts, read 31,403,664 times
I bought a house. 401K is significantly up from the first of the year. I got promoted and make about a third more than I did this time last year.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,454,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Nice. So you like to take the high salary that comes with living in a blue state, but you don't want to pay the taxes that go along with it. Pretty much sums up the problem with your party.
If you mean pay for 6,963 governing bodies and pensions worth millions for govt workers yea I don't think grannies and working families should be taxed out of their homes with 5 figure property tax bills to pay for that. However, your party has reduced government back to the middle ages with the taxpayers as peasants and the pols and govt workers as lords and nobles so good job party of the working people. At least Republicans aren't causing an exodus of people trying to get away from them which is the most conclusive metric for failure in government.

And my salary isn't that high and thanks to the Dems it gets smaller every year.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,454,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The biggest or one of the biggest items in every person's budget is taxes. So how can you discuss finances without talking about government?

Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,620,411 times
Quote:
The biggest or one of the biggest items in every person's budget is taxes. So how can you discuss finances without talking about government?
The same way you write a budget with 401k contributions without discussing the details of how you will decide what to buy in retirement.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:13 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,092,503 times
Overall 2019 was a good year. Base salary was the same as last year but got about $15-20k more in after-tax bonus income. However, some of that was offset by having to shell out roughly $5k in unexpected medical and car repair costs. We did pay off one of our vehicles early in the year, which was nice, and daughter is now in kindergarten so no more shelling out several hundred per month of pre-school costs. Wife and I decided to buy an income property, also, so we paid about $55k of our savings in down payment/equity on that place. Should be a good investment long term, though. Good cashflow and in a quickly gentrifying area so should net us a good return down the road when we eventually sell it. With that investment we actually have a little bit less in stocks/investment funds than a year ago but by a couple months from now we should be back to where we were. Overall net worth was about $0 a year ago, now about $70k and growing quickly.

For next year we'll focus on continuing to put away as much as possible in our investment vehicles, cutting unnecessary costs, and really streamlining our lives without sacrificing our overall quality of life. I am starting to look for other jobs, also, so hoping income will grow with a change by at least 10% which will allow us to put away even more. Hoping to be at $150-170k net worth by the end of 2020.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:23 PM

9,380 posts, read 6,999,996 times
My wife is having a baby in May so trying to get our income -> expense budget normalized before the birth. I'm not expecting significant increases in income (< 3% in 2020) so we need to get our consumption rates inline to make room for another childcare bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance