Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times

Advertisements

If you want numbers these are the details:

1200 EUR/month after taxes
11000 EUR saved in bank account
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 09:26 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
I've just visited my grandparents apartment. At least there are no squatters. My parents finally will help us and they will contribute with reforms, the apartment is not so bad in condition. I'll put around 3,000 - 4,000 EUR in reforms. The apartment has around 45 m2 (484 sqft). Taking into account the cheapest rent in Madrid is around 700€/month for even smaller apartments I think it completely worths it. If only I can remove rent in my expenses I will avoid a strong headache since renting is the highest cost in Madrid and the common factor of trouble to reach the end of the month. I would even increase my savings to have a better future.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:44 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I've just visited my grandparents apartment. At least there are no squatters. My parents finally will help us and they will contribute with reforms, the apartment is not so bad in condition. I'll put around 3,000 - 4,000 EUR in reforms. The apartment has around 45 m2 (484 sqft). Taking into account the cheapest rent in Madrid is around 700€/month for even smaller apartments I think it completely worths it. If only I can remove rent in my expenses I will avoid a strong headache since renting is the highest cost in Madrid and the common factor of trouble to reach the end of the month. I would even increase my savings to have a better future.
Sounds like you have a plan -- good luck!

Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Sounds like a plan.

I'd also recommend what another poster said. Write down everything you spend. Put it on a spreadsheet. See exactly where your money is going. Usually engineers/scientific types sort of like putting their expenses on a spreadsheet. You'll definitely spend less money if you do this.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
No credit... Pay cash, or go without

Barter when possible (wash dishes for free meal)
Volunteer where you can get free essential services (in USA we can volunteer for packing boxes of food for poor, and we get a box to take home ourselves.)
Get part-time job that is either good pay or free food.
Eat one time per day instead of 3
Eat only food at home, less expensive to prepare than buy at Tapas shop.
No alcohol / unless it's cheaper than water. As wine was in Tudela Spain when I lived there.
Ride bike and walk. No car, no insurance, no fuel.
Do not get a girlfriend, unless she is heir to great fortune, but has pauper taste.
Use free entertainment. (Concerts in church, school, park)
Volunteer for entertainment venues for free seats (in USA we can seat people as usher and get to watch performance for free.)

Keep very strict budget. I use envelop with enough money for groceries for one month. When it is empty, I get creative, or go without food. I often fast (no eating) a couple days per week.
In USA we have opportunity shops (thrift stores) for used but nice clothing. Very inexpensive.

For fresh groceries as fruits and veggies, I ask produce manager at store to let me have discarded items (damaged, over ripe). Every morning they have free bread and veggies that they would throw away in trash, but they can give to me for free.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:44 AM

10 posts, read 4,507 times
Lightbulb Buck up

Your situation seems familiar to me. I moved to megapolis with no money and being unemployed. I had no support, yet strong motivation to stay here and live beyond my means.
There are just two bits of advice, whether they are useful or not for you, but for me, they helped me at the time
1) Don't listen to what anyone says. You will certainly achieve anything if you work hard and don't give up.
2) Remember that your success depends on people you are surrounded by. Never be afraid of asking someone for help, getting to know whether the vacancy suitable for you exists. Don't underestimate yourself!

Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,038 times
Good for you! Check out any food banks in your area to, that should help with the food costs.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Good for you Jorge. I think you are way ahead having the grandfather apartment. If it's any consolation , your food here in Spain (we are visiting Valencia beach) is probably 1/5 of the prices we are used to, and fabulous quality. I am amazed.

When I was poor I worked 3 jobs and slept in my truck on a pieice of wooded land I bought on payments. One job provided a meal so no groceries. I went to the YMCA for showers, etc. I made $4,000 a month this way and my land cost me $250 a month.

You get creative. I was going to suggest roommate but at 480 square feet, maybe not.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 AM

24,547 posts, read 10,869,900 times
What keeps you from working a second job? Networking, networking, networking! Whining about how bad things are and that your parents set you a goal does not change anything. What is your wife doing to get a job and contribute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance