Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 07:33 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Well the OP has somewhat of a tight budget. If he's traveling solo and leaving his significant other and his child home and given he is happy with cici's pizza, Id say there are definitely some options as he can keep costs down a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 07:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Since we have both fully retired five years ago we have averaged around $US30,000 pa. We enjoy travelling to places that are new to us but I prefer to only be away a month at a time if it is possible. A friend went to Europe for three months last year and no-one was envious of them travelling for that long. Would have been when we were all young!

Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Since I retired to Maui I spend less on travel. Partially because I no longer need to take beach vacations and partially because it's such a chore to get to the mainland to START a vacation. That said, I still spend 5k-10k per year on travel depending upon whether I go once or twice a year. British Isles coming up this summer and maybe Vietnam and Cambodia late in the year.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:29 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well the OP has somewhat of a tight budget. If he's traveling solo and leaving his significant other and his child home and given he is happy with cici's pizza, Id say there are definitely some options as he can keep costs down a lot.
The good news is that I might eat at Cicis tomorrow...once again in your honor so I will do some travel research while there (I’m actually in line at MCDONALDS as we speak...perhaps another one of your faves LOL).

My max budget if I make this a travel year will be about $10-15k. So far I have Cozumel and Key West coming up in 2 weeks. I’m planning something a little bigger for May...perhaps Hawaii.

With that said, I’m still young so I don’t feel like I should be in a hurry to travel too much...hopefully I have 50 more years to travel so I want there to still be places to go when I’m that age.

I personally know ZERO people my age who travel as much as me and I don’t even travel that much. That’s why I’m a little taken back by people who insinuate one isn’t living if they aren’t spending $30k/year on travel in their early 30s. LOL

Are there really that many world travels in the early 30s?

Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

Europe, Asia, Australia...it gets expensive if you start traveling months out of the year.
You mean you missed the $100 RT airfares to Australia offered last month by Qantas (100 yr BD). They ran specials everyday for a week. If you missed the $100 (100 seats / day), they had $732 RT, (Which I have found on other carriers too).

but... RT that far is pretty pointless for retirees (no need to rush home).

We bought a one-way to Sydney and 'winged' it from there.

Only 3 major objectives;
1) Follow the sun for LONG days (16 hrs of daylight) head west when the weather turns cold.
2) Get to The Netherlands for tulips (had 6 months before we needed to be there)
3) Get back to USA within a yr. (That was not really necessary, just a target. But we have many rural rental homes that would need a lot of work if we were gone much longer. )

We only used a few hotels in that yr away (just for early flights).

Camper vans ate a lot of $$, next time we will buy one and stay longer in that area.
You can rent furnished flats ~$500 / month in rural towns in Europe and take the train to cities.

Remember that much of the world travels overnight on trains and buses (and planes). Saves more daylight for your destinations and removes the need for lodging on travel nights.

We eat via grocery / fresh markets, usually eat fresh produce (no cooking required).
Most places we stay have kitchens and our hosts usually fix us a meal and pack us a lunch for the next day. (we only eat once / day when traveling (saves daylight for meeting people, volunteering in communities and schools, and doing stuff.)

Old 01-15-2020, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
T...
I personally know ZERO people my age who travel as much as me and I don’t even travel that much. That’s why I’m a little taken back by people who insinuate one isn’t living if they aren’t spending $30k/year on travel in their early 30s. LOL

Been to NZ much? The place is teaming with thousands of German youth 16 - 31 on work visas. + many other countries (One of my kids did it 10 yrs ago (for 2 yrs).

Of course there are many youth traveling. There are 100's of thousands of expats and military kids who have traveled since day one. (And a herd of 18 - 35 yo military members traveling at the moment!)

Our kids had lived on 5 continents by age 10, and they are still traveling (in their 30's).

DiL goes to Africa every month (for work), and they always meet somewhere between here and there for a week of vacation. (That is quite common with millennial's to negotiate MUCH vacation time, or have a 'unlimited' vacation plan at their job. (All my kid's jobs have had the 'unlimited' option. And they do 10 - 20 different countries / yr.

You just gotta get out more.

If I were ER and young... I would enroll in one of the many free international universities and gain some great international friends. My international co-workers kids all do that and often start international businesses with the friends they meet. Then they have PAID travel and often very successful enterprises with worldwide sales and customers and employees.

https://www.valuecolleges.com/intern...ree-education/
https://www.finder.com/international...nts-study-free
https://www.student.com/articles/cou...y-free-europe/

I know several 30 somethings from USA who own condos in NZ, AU, Singapore, HK, Japan.
It's a great big world out there, and many great people to meet and to serve.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:06 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Absolutely. In fact the most popular travel credit card was driven to popularity by millennial just 2 years ago and remains that way. Late 20s to early 30s are big travelers right now.

Are they spending $30k/year on travel? Some, but not most. Most are forgoing the $1000/night resorts for $300/night AirBnBs. Probably spending $10,000/year or so.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
The good news is that I might eat at Cicis tomorrow...once again in your honor so I will do some travel research while there (I’m actually in line at MCDONALDS as we speak...perhaps another one of your faves LOL).

My max budget if I make this a travel year will be about $10-15k. So far I have Cozumel and Key West coming up in 2 weeks. I’m planning something a little bigger for May...perhaps Hawaii.

With that said, I’m still young so I don’t feel like I should be in a hurry to travel too much...hopefully I have 50 more years to travel so I want there to still be places to go when I’m that age.

By the time I was 30 I had been around the world and to many countries multiple times. I had also visited 5 continents. Now in my 60s I've been to 6 continents and around 100 countries. Doubt I will ever visit Antarctica. It's pretty much just for "place collectors".
This summer I will revisit England, Scotland, and Ireland. I've been to all of them in the past but it's been decades so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes that have taken place. No worries about running out of places since they do change over time.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
We rarely pay for airfare and often times don’t pay for hotel. I’d say the value is often 5k-10k annually

I sure hope this isn’t a thread to back into how the OP is smarter than everyone else
Before we get here, let’s dial it back a bit.

Nobody said anything about having to spend a certain amount on travel at a certain age, nobody cares how old you are, and nobody set a target for appending $30,000 annually on travel.

Let’s just drop the “my lifestyle is better than your lifestyle” rhetoric.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:51 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Been to NZ much? The place is teaming with thousands of German youth 16 - 31 on work visas. + many other countries (One of my kids did it 10 yrs ago (for 2 yrs).

Of course there are many youth traveling. There are 100's of thousands of expats and military kids who have traveled since day one. (And a herd of 18 - 35 yo military members traveling at the moment!)

Our kids had lived on 5 continents by age 10, and they are still traveling (in their 30's).

DiL goes to Africa every month (for work), and they always meet somewhere between here and there for a week of vacation. (That is quite common with millennial's to negotiate MUCH vacation time, or have a 'unlimited' vacation plan at their job. (All my kid's jobs have had the 'unlimited' option. And they do 10 - 20 different countries / yr.

You just gotta get out extxfttd

If I were ER and young... I would enroll in one of the many free international universities and gain some great international friends. My international co-workers kids all do that and often start international businesses with the friends they meet. Then they have PAID travel and often very successful enterprises with worldwide sales and customers and employees.

https://www.valuecolleges.com/intern...ree-education/
https://www.finder.com/international...nts-study-free
https://www.student.com/articles/cou...y-free-europe/

I know several 30 somethings from USA who own condos in NZ, AU, Singapore, HK, Japan.
It's a great big world out there, and many great people to meet and to serve.
Travel by children, military personnel, college kids and workers is a little different than travel done 100% for pleasure.

I have a family member who works on robotics and he’s constantly traveling all over the world - he does find the places interesting but he probably wouldn’t leave the family if it wasn’t part of his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance