Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 01:56 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,084,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Thus my worries.

I see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 04:09 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,970,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I've read quite a few of your threads, and I've never attacked you for your questions or concerns, and they did seem well founded in solving your own financial dilemmas -- we all have them, no matter what you may think.
Jonathan usually your posts are in the context of the thread's topic. I think what a lot of people what a problem with was how out of place some parts of your first response was in relation to the question asked.
Please know that I'm not attacking you, just giving some more context into why some people may have taken your post the wrong way. Here is an example from your post:

Quote:
a hot wife who also works from home, every streaming service, why on god’s green earth would I actually want to leave home?! An excuse not to would be ideal lol.
Consider for a second how that one word can come off in a forum like this. Now if you posted on a "bro forum" no one would bat an eye. But the "personal finance" crowd on CD is far from the demographics of a "bro forum." In relation to the question there was literally no point in mentioning your wife is hot. If you simply wrote that sentence without that one word it makes perfect sense since you are saying that your wife is also safe from any potential diseases since she works from home. Mentioning that your "wife is hot" makes perfect sense if the question was "why did you marry your spouse?" But for this question it was a misplaced comment that was in poor taste. Others parts of your post comes off in the same way to other posters.

Anyway back to the original question. I think we are pretty well prepared as far as extended/close family. My parents are retired and have passive income so they are ok. My sister has a ton money saved, can move in with me rent free and live for quite a while if she gets canned (but most likely wont because she works in the medical field. As far as me and the wife, we usually have about enough in the bank to where if we both stop working we can live on it for a year without touching any investments. However, I haven't found anything worthwhile to invest in for a little bit so currently we have enough on hand to be able to live without working for about 3 years without touching any investments.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:12 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,648,813 times
So it’s bad to have a hot wife?! She’s smart too and sweet, but I didn’t want to brag - I already got called out for that I feel sorry for some people here, if I ever put that much thought into how anyone else thinks of anything I say, I’d shoot myself. I don’t care. I didn’t say anything untrue, so what you’re asking is “please don’t ever write anything that might possibly make anyone else jealous or that could at all possibly be construed as bragging.” I don’t care about someone else’s mental issues, that’s THEIR problem! It won’t ever be mine and I won’t make it mine. I said what I said - I’d be happy staying at home because I love home, and since evidently other people don’t and think that would be horrible, I outlined the reasons why I love being home.

This is why poor people can be so annoying, you’ll see it constantly, anyone else who enjoys their life has to say “excuse me” because someone else is poor. I don’t care! That’s a YOU problem, then stop being poor and do something about it, but don’t expect the world to bend over backwards to not offend you. The world doesn’t care, it goes on living anyway. And same here, I wouldn’t lose a second of sleep over someone on a forum thinking I’m “bragging” because I love being home. That’s their problem and I’m not a psychologist, so I can’t help with other people’s mental health problems.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:49 AM

10,359 posts, read 8,597,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Jonathan usually your posts are in the context of the thread's topic. I think what a lot of people what a problem with was how out of place some parts of your first response was in relation to the question asked.
Please know that I'm not attacking you, just giving some more context into why some people may have taken your post the wrong way. Here is an example from your post:

Consider for a second how that one word can come off in a forum like this. Now if you posted on a "bro forum" no one would bat an eye. But the "personal finance" crowd on CD is far from the demographics of a "bro forum." In relation to the question there was literally no point in mentioning your wife is hot. If you simply wrote that sentence without that one word it makes perfect sense since you are saying that your wife is also safe from any potential diseases since she works from home. Mentioning that your "wife is hot" makes perfect sense if the question was "why did you marry your spouse?" But for this question it was a misplaced comment that was in poor taste. Others parts of your post comes off in the same way to other posters.

Anyway back to the original question. I think we are pretty well prepared as far as extended/close family. My parents are retired and have passive income so they are ok. My sister has a ton money saved, can move in with me rent free and live for quite a while if she gets canned (but most likely wont because she works in the medical field. As far as me and the wife, we usually have about enough in the bank to where if we both stop working we can live on it for a year without touching any investments. However, I haven't found anything worthwhile to invest in for a little bit so currently we have enough on hand to be able to live without working for about 3 years without touching any investments.
Wait, there is a bro forum? I wanna check that one out!

Old 03-05-2020, 03:05 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,970,817 times
Quote:
So it’s bad to have a hot wife?!She’s smart too and sweet, but I didn’t want to brag - I already got called out for that I feel sorry for some people here, if I ever put that much thought into how anyone else thinks of anything I say, I’d shoot myself. I don’t care. I didn’t say anything untrue, so what you’re asking is “please don’t ever write anything that might possibly make anyone else jealous or that could at all possibly be construed as bragging.” I don’t care about someone else’s mental issues, that’s THEIR problem! It won’t ever be mine and I won’t make it mine. I said what I said - I’d be happy staying at home because I love home, and since evidently other people don’t and think that would be horrible, I outlined the reasons why I love being home.

This is why poor people can be so annoying, you’ll see it constantly, anyone else who enjoys their life has to say “excuse me” because someone else is poor. I don’t care! That’s a YOU problem, then stop being poor and do something about it, but don’t expect the world to bend over backwards to not offend you. The world doesn’t care, it goes on living anyway. And same here, I wouldn’t lose a second of sleep over someone on a forum thinking I’m “bragging” because I love being home. That’s their problem and I’m not a psychologist, so I can’t help with other people’s mental health problems.
I meant what I said about your other post not bothering me. But this one certainly did because it shows a complete lack of comprehension regarding why its normal for others to be offended by what you wrote. Honestly, your just plain wrong regarding everything you wrote above. No one has to have mental issues to find your other comment offensive. They just have to be regular people with regular awareness of socially appropriate things to say. How did you get anything close to "its bad to have a hot wife" from what I wrote? What I mentioned would literally be chapter one of "normal socials skills 101" if it was a college course. Here is an example:

1. If a group of people are talking about places they have traveled to and why they did so and you came in with "I have a Ferrari and its super fun to drive" then almost everyone would be wondering "what in the hell....?" and find your comment annoying/weird/awkward/offensive. This is because what you said has zero context to the current conversation so it makes no sense to bring up.

vs

If a group of people were talking about how to change oil in their cars and you said "yeah I use XX oil on my Ferrari and its super fun to drive" that would be a comment that would get a pass because even though no one was talking about expensive cars at least they were talking about cars so there was some relation.

See the difference? You mentioning your wife "is hot" literally had nothing to do with this topic. Honestly, if we are bragging about "hot women count" I would probably wipe the floor with you in that category if it was a contest. By the way that last sentence was intentionally worded that way. See how annoying, crass and idiotic my statement was even if is true? The old adage "its not what you say but how you say it" (and I guess when you say it) really is true. No one is saying you can't brag. Its just that your "bragging social skills" is that of a 16 year old high school kid. They are out of place, crass, in poor taste and said in an offensive manner. The fact that you think people being bothered by your comments has anything to do with "being poor" is quite disturbing. I won't get into that one because that would be too much to type. All I will say about that is that if someones income level if one of your primary ways of judging their worth as a human being then you have a lot of other things you may want to work on besides your "bragging skills." And I'm saying this to you as a "non-poor" person

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Wait, there is a bro forum? I wanna check that one out!
Hahaha no such actual forum thank god. I was referring to that catagory of forums. Like this one:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/

Last edited by griffon652; 03-05-2020 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 03:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,190,834 times
I am not overly concerned, but I am not worry free. My original plan with our tax refund was to pay down our trailer debt, my goal being to pay it off completely by June, but after things started looking less than stellar I changed my focus to putting that extra money into our savings for the time being.

Hubby has almost a full month of sick/vacation/personal time saved up. He can work at home for some things, but I don't think he'd have enough work to do to keep him from having to go in for months and still get his full paycheck. We are a one income family, so on one hand me staying home with the kids won't mean we're losing any extra income, but it all falls to hubby to bring in the money and that is concerning if he loses his job. He does work for the government so maybe he'll be ok. No guarantees.

We did stock up a lot this past month on food and other household staples. That will help us if the income dries up. I'm just trying to stash every available dollar I can away just in case. I am not in a panic, but I have a healthy level of concern about this.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:25 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Quote:
So it’s bad to have a hot wife?! She’s smart too and sweet, but I didn’t want to brag - I already got called out for that I feel sorry for some people here, if I ever put that much thought into how anyone else thinks of anything I say, I’d shoot myself. I don’t care. I didn’t say anything untrue, so what you’re asking is “please don’t ever write anything that might possibly make anyone else jealous or that could at all possibly be construed as bragging.” I don’t care about someone else’s mental issues, that’s THEIR problem! It won’t ever be mine and I won’t make it mine. I said what I said - I’d be happy staying at home because I love home, and since evidently other people don’t and think that would be horrible, I outlined the reasons why I love being home.

So anyone who critiques you is poor or mentally ill?

Says the guy who mentions all the time how much he loves his house and how much he never wants to leave it.

Okay...

Old 03-07-2020, 07:55 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,697,186 times
Not that I am worried or expecting it but if quarantine were to happen here we would be fine financially. Extended family, possibly not. It sure would be nice though to have a work from home job or government paid jobs.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:02 PM

15,895 posts, read 6,358,849 times
I had this discussion with my 23-year-old daughter who moved to Seattle from Minnesota. Both of them work in the hospitality industry and things are really slow right now. Her boyfriend manages and tends bar so tips are a big part of his income. I asked how they were doing because I know they only have about 1000 saved for emergencies and rent there is 1800 for a small studio. So far they are cutting back and OK unless one of them gets quarantined then it will cause a problem because they don't have any paid days off. I can afford to help them if it comes to that but I don't know what people without family to help them would do if their income was cut that drastically then went without pay if they get sick.

We'll be fine. We won't get shut down and if either one of us gets sick we have plenty of time off banked to cover it.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,600,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
So anyone who critiques you is poor or mentally ill?

Says the guy who mentions all the time how much he loves his house and how much he never wants to leave it.

Okay...
That makes a person mentally ill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance