Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 06:36 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times

Advertisements

We have a 6 y/o and a 3 y/o and have been working so hard to be putting $500 a month into each account since they were 1 y/o. We chose the North Carolina aggressive track, which means 90% stocks and 10% bonds for the ages they are in. I think after 6 y/o, it changes more to bonds but of course, only slightly.

My 6 y/o account has now broken even, and the 3 y/o account is -$1500.

Just keep everything the same as is and keep putting in $500 every month, or should I change allocations for them to more bonds? I know they say not to touch anything, but asking on here might help me sleep at night at least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 06:51 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times
I would keep going. (I am, in fact).

No one can forecast how much this market will crash. But most probably the stock market will return more than cash under the mattress, or bonds, in 12 and 15 years when you start withdrawing that money. (Here is where mathjak jumps in to remark how long bonds have returned more recently in the last 1, 3, 5, 10 years... but surely not starting at 1%?)

Yes it's very painful to watch. I have been through the draw-downs of 2002 and 2008 and it was gut-wrenching. The 2020 one feels the same. But switching to bonds now will just lock in the losses. You don't know (and neither does any pundit) when the market will start coming up. There is no way to distinguish between a head-fake as we saw on Tuesday vs the start of the next sustained bull market.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:52 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
We have a 6 y/o and a 3 y/o and have been working so hard to be putting $500 a month into each account since they were 1 y/o. We chose the North Carolina aggressive track, which means 90% stocks and 10% bonds for the ages they are in. I think after 6 y/o, it changes more to bonds but of course, only slightly.

My 6 y/o account has now broken even, and the 3 y/o account is -$1500.

Just keep everything the same as is and keep putting in $500 every month, or should I change allocations for them to more bonds? I know they say not to touch anything, but asking on here might help me sleep at night at least!
Nope. I'd leave the money invested exactly as it is and continue to invest the same amount every month.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:57 PM

3,784 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Let's assume the 6-year-old will use the money for university, so say age 18. That gives you 12 years to make up for any short term "losses" now. If you stay the course I think that you will find that it works out just fine.

If it helps you sleep at night, you could stop the $500/month investments now so that you have more cash on hand for any short term emergencies. But with prices falling, that $500 is buying more shares than when the prices were inflated in December and January.

Over the period of record, there have been few 10-year periods that lost money over all. Check out these charts. Only a couple of blips went negative.

https://www.crestmontresearch.com/do...Components.pdf

FWIW, I have also invested money for my grand daughters via the 529 accounts. I only put in $1,000/year per child however, so it isn't as big of a hit to my finances. My state allows me to deduct up to $3,000 in total for 529 gifts and I have a third one to start so that is why I keep it to $1,000 each.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
My child is a college sophomore. The value is down about one-fifth over the past week or so.
Fingers crossed.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:58 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Just keep everything the same as is and keep putting in $500 every month, or should I change allocations for them to more bonds?
Unless you suddenly need the $500 per month to put food on the table and/or keep a roof overhead, keep putting that same money in every month into the same funds. As someone else said, today's $500 deposit will buy a lot more shares than it did a month ago, so when the market recovers -- you have 12 years for that to happen -- those shares bought on the cheap (now) will more than make up for the on-paper losses you're seeing right now. It's the beauty of what's called "dollar cost averaging".

Old 03-12-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Unless you suddenly need the $500 per month to put food on the table and/or keep a roof overhead, keep putting that same money in every month into the same funds. As someone else said, today's $500 deposit will buy a lot more shares than it did a month ago, so when the market recovers -- you have 12 years for that to happen -- those shares bought on the cheap (now) will more than make up for the on-paper losses you're seeing right now. It's the beauty of what's called "dollar cost averaging".
Same advice if we have a year for that to happen?

Old 03-13-2020, 06:46 AM

430 posts, read 557,166 times
I'm in the same situation. Leave it alone. You are currently "buying low". You will be fine. You have at least 12 years to go.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:03 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
At that horizon, leave it alone. Lots of people ate shirt in the last correction. They got spoked, pulled out near the bottom, and then missed the recovery. That's what most market timers do. The exception to that would be if the kids were older. Say 16 and 19. Just like retirement you should have already adopted a more conservative asset allocation a few years ago in that case. Maybe at 13 to 16 for college savings would be a good time to switch to a more conservative allocation.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
At that horizon, leave it alone. Lots of people ate shirt in the last correction. They got spoked, pulled out near the bottom, and then missed the recovery. That's what most market timers do. The exception to that would be if the kids were older. Say 16 and 19. Just like retirement you should have already adopted a more conservative asset allocation a few years ago in that case. Maybe at 13 to 16 for college savings would be a good time to switch to a more conservative allocation.
We made ours conservative as he was entering college two years ago and it is taking a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance