Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 12:01 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Not sure how to read this. Are you an employee, a former executive, have large accounts with CapOne bank...? A nod is fine; I just don't think such rates are available to any level of retail customer.
No special relationship. My bad joke is that my wallet is near my hip.

It's a capital one visa signature card that I've had since 2005. I don't think you can get it anymore. Interest rate doesn't make a difference to me as I pay the balance off after every billing cycle so I don't pay finance charges. It's fun to tease my Mom that I have a lower interest card than her though lol

It's a nice card with no annual fee and essentially a 1.5% cash back. It's my go to card while spending on other cards if the rewards are better in whatever category. I don't see myself every getting rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 12:09 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
It's a nice card with no annual fee and essentially a 1.5% cash back. It's my go to card while spending on other cards if the rewards are better in whatever category. I don't see myself every getting rid of it.
I'm envious and can't imagine why the terms haven't been slowly changed on you as it seems they have been for everyone. At one time, we had four? cards, two for business and two for home, with substantial limits and interest rates in the 7-9% range. More than once I complained and/or canceled a card that went over 10%.

And then, about 2010, the rates started creeping up, a couple of points a year, with no better alternatives. The Chase card I replaced had hit 18% and generated useless UAL miles, so I replaced it as blah blah blah.

I am pretty disturbed at how many people insist the rate doesn't matter because they always pay it off. You'll note that no one, ever, at any time says, "Yeah, I paid it off every month for years until ____ and had to carry $12k in emergency expenses for a long time"... but we know that happens and an 18-20% rate will slowly strangle you.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,021 times
Quote:
I'm envious and can't imagine why the terms haven't been slowly changed on you as it seems they have been for everyone. At one time, we had four? cards, two for business and two for home, with substantial limits and interest rates in the 7-9% range. More than once I complained and/or canceled a card that went over 10%.

And then, about 2010, the rates started creeping up, a couple of points a year, with no better alternatives. The Chase card I replaced had hit 18% and generated useless UAL miles, so I replaced it as blah blah blah.

I am pretty disturbed at how many people insist the rate doesn't matter because they always pay it off. You'll note that no one, ever, at any time says, "Yeah, I paid it off every month for years until ____ and had to carry $12k in emergency expenses for a long time"... but we know that happens and an 18-20% rate will slowly strangle you.
while way too many people don't have any savings you severely underestimate how many people have a lot of money saved and have 0 chance of paying credit card interest

Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Why? I know how much money I have and how much I am spending. If I were to decide to make a purchase beyond my ability to pay in full within 30 days, I would decide how best to finance the purchase. You can rest assured, unless it is a 0% promotional rate, the unpaid balance will NOT be sitting on a credit card.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:

You can be “disturbed” but it’s really wasted angst. I have a fair amount of cash in an e-fund to cover pretty large expenses before id have to pay interest. Standing rates 15-20% are the norm even with good credit so I’m not really sure what you are expecting

Old 05-28-2020, 08:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:

That's what either the cash emergency fund or the 4% HELOC are for.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Quote:

You are not very well acquainted with the regulars in this forum.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:56 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,660,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I would really like to know how someone could run up a $6800 CC balance? I have two cards, one hasn't been used in years. The one I use for everything makes me real nervous when it gets up to a few hundred dollars, and it's paid off at the end of the month if not before. I have never paid any CC interest. Today the balance on the two cards is $.0..

Are these really necessary charges, or just poor money management? I'm not trying to be cruel, but I just don't understand how one can get this far in to debt?
Around Christmas time just past, I had to pay off a couple of $K CC bill my adult daughter ran up. She has no clue how to manage money and went wild buying gifts for everyone with no way to pay off the card, and didn't give it a thought. She didn't learn that from me..! Young people, and too many adults, today have no concept of the difference between, "I want it, or I need it", don't buy what you want, buy what you need,,! Having a CC makes buying things far too easy and gets one into trouble.

I do realize sometimes things do come up beyond one's control, but I think for the most part it's just poor management.
JMHO...

Tip, tear up both cards today... or, put then in a container, fill it with water and place it in the freezer. When it's harder to get at, your purchases go down.. I wish you luck getting thugs under control.
Not poor money management just management. I charge everything on CC’s in order to receive more cashback and it’s more convenient. Last month I had to pay my Property tax, car and home insurance, new washer & dryer, plus my usual charges and my total for the month was close to $10K for all cards. But it’s always paid in full at the time of billing. I did take a hit on my credit score for the month because I exceeded the 30% limit on my $23K Costco card, but it’s back to 817.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:16 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
You are not very well acquainted with the regulars in this forum.
The ones that insist they pay off their credit card every 5 days?

Old 05-29-2020, 09:30 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,021 times
Quote:
The ones that insist they pay off their credit card every 5 days?
Nope pay it In full the day it's due

Pretty sad state of affairs when people are shocked that other people don't pay credit card interest and have money saved to cover all of their expenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance