Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 01:31 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why? They owe 57k on the loan. Why even bother to refi at this time? You’re gonna pay 4/5k in costs.

There is a motive he wants to do that. There is very little to gain by taking over a mortgage on a house you do not own. I would never take over my moms mortgage. I would help her with the payment if she needed it.
Something doesn’t make sense.
If I personally carry the note to you arent paying 4-5k in closing cost. I pay off your loan and you give me money every month. Plus even in a traditional refi you probably aren’t paying 4-5k closing costs on a 57k mortgage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 01:36 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why? They owe 57k on the loan. Why even bother to refi at this time? You’re gonna pay 4/5k in costs.

There is a motive he wants to do that. There is very little to gain by taking over a mortgage on a house you do not own. I would never take over my moms mortgage. I would help her with the payment if she needed it.
Something doesn’t make sense.
While I agree this is odd, there are not $4/5K in fees unless their son is going to charge them broker fees.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:59 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
People on this forum will always give the most conservative answer possible to nearly any question posed.

If your eventual plan is for your son to inherit the home, then I don't see the harm in transferring the deed to his name now. My father-in-law actually did this for my wife and I. If this transaction is purely so your son can make a 3.65% return on his money, there are probably better ways to go about that.

To those saying things along the lines of "don't do business with family", while that may be good advice in a lot of instances, it is not universal. It really depends on the relationship of the two parties involved and how responsible they each are. I've done business with family on multiple occasions and it has always led to good outcomes. As always, YMMV.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:10 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
The "4/5k" has been repositioned from (what I understood to be) the loan interest to something piled on top.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:26 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
If your eventual plan is for your son to inherit the home, then I don't see the harm in transferring the deed to his name now.

That is a terrible suggestion.
So many reasons not to:
Son has a legal judgement against him and home is sold to satisfy it. Everyone must vacate, loss of parents domicile.
Son gets married, gets divorced, spouse gets half or all of house in settlement. Parents and son must vacate, loss of domicile.
Son gets married, spouse tells parents they must leave.
Son is seriously injured, lifetime care needed, house must be sold to pay for it. Parents must vacate.

Some states have ways to title deeds to name a life estate for current owners with the son the eventual owner. It's what people do who don't want an expensive trust set up. Not all states have this available but my grandparents did it with their home. This was not way to fool Medicaid, they never used that, just a way to make it official on the deed in the case the will got lost.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
If your eventual plan is for your son to inherit the home, then I don't see the harm in transferring the deed to his name now.

That is a terrible suggestion.
So many reasons not to:
Son has a legal judgement against him and home is sold to satisfy it. Everyone must vacate, loss of parents domicile.
Son gets married, gets divorced, spouse gets half or all of house in settlement. Parents and son must vacate, loss of domicile.
Son gets married, spouse tells parents they must leave.
Son is seriously injured, lifetime care needed, house must be sold to pay for it. Parents must vacate.

Some states have ways to title deeds to name a life estate for current owners with the son the eventual owner. It's what people do who don't want an expensive trust set up. Not all states have this available but my grandparents did it with their home. This was not way to fool Medicaid, they never used that, just a way to make it official on the deed in the case the will got lost.
Excellent points.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:32 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Add my vote to the NO pile. Mixing money and family is a bad idea. Plus, how convoluted is this scenario: son pays you rent, you turn around and pay him mortgage? The legal paper trail is going to be a mess when/if the house gets sold. Is he going to report the 4k as taxable income? I'll bet not.

Your son sounds ... sketchy. Living in your house AND trying to make a profit off you? If he has 60k lying around, why doesn't he invest it and make more money?

Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
People on this forum will always give the most conservative answer possible to nearly any question posed.

If your eventual plan is for your son to inherit the home, then I don't see the harm in transferring the deed to his name now. My father-in-law actually did this for my wife and I. If this transaction is purely so your son can make a 3.65% return on his money, there are probably better ways to go about that.

To those saying things along the lines of "don't do business with family", while that may be good advice in a lot of instances, it is not universal. It really depends on the relationship of the two parties involved and how responsible they each are. I've done business with family on multiple occasions and it has always led to good outcomes. As always, YMMV.
You are 1000% correct! If the plan is for the son to inherit the house then go for it. However, why would you pay your son. Just send the monthly payment to the new lender for the next 4 yrs. Therefore, you know the mortgage is getting paid.

The whole so he gets the mortgage interest is not a good reason to do this.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Absolutely, not. Whose would actually own the house?

What if he meets a gold digger and she convinces him to kick you out of the house?
I have read about that type of thing happening. Heck, it even happened in my extended family. Grandma inherited the family homestead when Grandpa died and ended up putting it in her son's name (at his insistence). And, once grandma got too old to be an unpaid fulltime babysitter for her son & DIL's four children, they literally kicked her out with a weeks notice. Kicked her out of her own house where she had lived for almost 60 years. They didn't even let her take her own furniture. Luckily, another relative took her in.
I don't know how some people live with themselves.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
You are 1000% correct! If the plan is for the son to inherit the house then go for it. However, why would you pay your son. Just send the monthly payment to the new lender for the next 4 yrs. Therefore, you know the mortgage is getting paid.

The whole so he gets the mortgage interest is not a good reason to do this.
Absolutely. OP, notice the risks you're unwittingly considering opening yourselves up to, that others are pointing out. IMO, you'd be better off turning your son down, politely. There are too many patches of quicksand around this scenario, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance