Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Bingo, Bingo, Lima-Xray-Tango.

Anyone who thinks the all-holy soccer is more important than avoiding unnecessary exposure is a Freedumb moron up there with the businesses refusing to allow customers to wear masks. (Yes, that's a rising trend in redstate 'Murrica.)

Not just because of exposure and risk to the kids — all the kids involved — but to each and every one of their families, and coaches etc., who might not be composed entirely of medical demographics that aren't dying too frequently from this. If you don't savvy "superspreader" at this point, you may want to larn up as a useful point of understanding for the next year.

Not clear? EVERY SINGLE PERSON AT AN AFTERNOON SOCCER PRACTICE IS MUTUALLY EXPOSED TO A SIGNIFICANT DEGREE. THAT'S A SPREADING COLONY OF A HUNDRED OR MORE PEOPLE, MANY OF WHOM DON'T OTHERWISE HAVE MUCH CONTACT. May as well just put it in the Gatorade.

If it's all so damned important, take your kids to a park and let them, you know, play and even run drills and such in isolation this year. Of course, that's not as convenient as three more hours of babysitting a day, but if it's that important, you'd think Mom or Dad could make time for it.
Wow. Okay.

Well, think about this. A soccer training is usually ~13 kids and a coach.

A soccer game is usually ~28 kids, 2 coaches and ~1-3 refs.

And they have the entire pitch (turf, field).

If you are this concerned about basically a classroom of kids outside in the open air spread out over 100 yards then you must be scared sh!tless about SCHOOLS right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Wow. Okay.

Well, think about this. A soccer training is usually ~13 kids and a coach.

A soccer game is usually ~28 kids, 2 coaches and ~1-3 refs.

And they have the entire pitch (turf, field).

If you are this concerned about basically a classroom of kids outside in the open air spread out over 100 yards then you must be scared sh!tless about SCHOOLS right now...
From your response it is clear that you are not too concerned about any health risks for your child or family. That being the case, I think you answered your own question. I do think the situation where you live may be different from other posters. Where I live, in nj near nyc, people are scared ****less about schools. FYI- pretty much all summer camps have been cancelled.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:33 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,600,968 times
How can you practice social distancing playing soccer when you want to kick the ball away from an opponent? And wearing face masks playing sports, when you need to take deep breaths, will be very uncomfortable.

All it takes is one asymptomatic kid to transfer to another kid, who then takes it home to pass it around to other family members. Even if kids get rarely sick. Can they pass it around?

Also, as far as paying for something in advance there should be something WRITTEN in a contract about what happens in the even of cancellation. It not, I'm not paying. That's like paying for a hotel room two months from now, but the hotel closes temporarily one week from my booking date. Do I get my $ back? Or a voucher? This needs to be in writing.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
From your response it is clear that you are not too concerned about any health risks for your child or family. That being the case, I think you answered your own question. I do think the situation where you live may be different from other posters. Where I live, in nj near nyc, people are scared ****less about schools. FYI- pretty much all summer camps have been cancelled.
I live near Seattle. King County (Seattle) has stay-at-home orders in place. No Restaurants (you can order take out), gyms, childcare, salons, playgrounds, retail (a few stores are allowed to do curbside). Masks in public places - county ordinance- .

We've had one of the tightest, longest lockdowns in the country.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
How can you practice social distancing playing soccer when you want to kick the ball away from an opponent? And wearing face masks playing sports, when you need to take deep breaths, will be very uncomfortable.

All it takes is one asymptomatic kid to transfer to another kid, who then takes it home to pass it around to other family members. Even if kids get rarely sick. Can they pass it around?

Also, as far as paying for something in advance there should be something WRITTEN in a contract about what happens in the even of cancellation. It not, I'm not paying. That's like paying for a hotel room two months from now, but the hotel closes temporarily one week from my booking date. Do I get my $ back? Or a voucher? This needs to be in writing.
Yes, I need more clarity on this. We got a bill a few days ago and payment options, but none of the details....

Old 05-23-2020, 11:44 AM

Okay, well, assuming I refuse to pay up front or in the event of a second lockdown...

Do I let them know ahead of time?

My husband isn't being very helpful in this, but the bill went to my email, not his, so I think he's like "you deal with it"...

Old 05-23-2020, 11:47 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I live near Seattle. King County (Seattle) has stay-at-home orders in place. No Restaurants (you can order take out), gyms, childcare, salons, playgrounds, retail (a few stores are allowed to do curbside). Masks in public places - county ordinance- .

We've had one of the tightest, longest lockdowns in the country.
Good for you that you are not worried considering you are in a high infection rate zone and aren’t bothered about school. That seems to be a huge concern in my locale and I wonder if that’s just because a difference in regional attitudes or because I live in a town that has a high percentage of medical professionals.
What happens when/if social tracking becomes the standard and one of those 30 people has been exposed? That means quarantine for 2 weeks for you and your family if you go along with the guidelines.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:50 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I wouldn’t pay the entire bill since most likely you won’t get the entire service.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Good for you that you are not worried considering you are in a high infection rate zone and aren’t bothered about school. That seems to be a huge concern in my locale and I wonder if that’s just because a difference in regional attitudes or because I live in a town that has a high percentage of medical professionals.
What happens when/if social tracking becomes the standard and one of those 30 people has been exposed? That means quarantine for 2 weeks for you and your family if you go along with the guidelines.
That's the idea.. social tracking... up to last week the governor was going to require that all restaurants record contact information of patrons for when they open up. Some people got really upset by it, but as others pointed out.. when you make reservations you are giving a restaurant the same information anyway so why does it matter (good point)?

In any case, the governor backed down and says it's on a voluntary basis...

I don't have answers about the soccer club. I think that's why I'm upset about the bill. There is just so much left unsaid/undecided.

I'm more than taken back that I'm expected to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars without any idea what to expect.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:21 PM

My husband is going to write them before we pay. He's more educated (PhD) and experienced (tech manager) than I am so it's good that he's going to start the conversation with the club instead of me!

Thanks for the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance