Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:57 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Clearly it would be fraudulent if you didn’t incur hardships inline with the withdrawals

I wouldn’t do it because my 401k plan is great and I have zero dollars in IRAs partially because it would mess up my annual backdooring of Roth monies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 12:20 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Clearly it would be fraudulent if you didn’t incur hardships inline with the withdrawals

I wouldn’t do it because my 401k plan is great and I have zero dollars in IRAs partially because it would mess up my annual backdooring of Roth monies
I wouldn’t do it either .. I only have one years worth of 401k .... I cleaned out the 401k when I retired and put it in my ira ....but since I still work one day a week or rather I did before being put on hold , I qualified for the matching so I just stuck my whole check in each week.

The irony is unemployment pays me 2x what I made for my one day now ..it is a crazy structure ....I likely have at least a month or 2 left before I can resume what I did for them

Old 06-04-2020, 12:37 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
That’s another consideration. How many people are really going to even know about this? How many Americans actually even have 100k saved? Of those who do, how many are willing to do this kind of fraud in a crisis for their own gain? It’s a subset of a subset of a subset. The audit risk in dollar terms is super small.

Technically, most of the return is on the honor system without audits. If I have a schedule c business and put $5,000 of depreciable assets and get year 1 bonus, it’s not like the IRS gathered my proof for them. Or if I claim medical deductions. Do they know those expenses are real yet? No.

I’ll do my part and raise it up the flagpole to my IRS agents~ The LB&I division is in contact with the national office regularly.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
That’s another consideration. How many people are really going to even know about this? How many Americans actually even have 100k saved? Of those who do, how many are willing to do this kind of fraud in a crisis for their own gain? It’s a subset of a subset of a subset. The audit risk in dollar terms is super small.

Technically, most of the return is on the honor system without audits. If I have a schedule c business and put $5,000 of depreciable assets and get year 1 bonus, it’s not like the IRS gathered my proof for them. Or if I claim medical deductions. Do they know those expenses are real yet? No.

I’ll do my part and raise it up the flagpole to my IRS agents~ The LB&I division is in contact with the national office regularly.
When you get down to it most people don’t even know what their 401k is even invested in so they are not going to come up with schemes , it will only be the ones who have an interest and a reason who figure these things out .

At one time We could pay back social security all the money we got and if we were taxed we could take 7 years of money ,give it back And take a huge income deduction . Then refile at 70 for the max ..

The problem was it wiped out all your income and whatever was left over was lost as you can’t carry over a negative reduction

Then once again some shrewd people realized you can get free Roth conversions ....just use up the negative income on the conversions ...so not only did you refile for more social security but you got a free Roth conversion ...once it became popular they killed that ability ....so you will always have those who take an interest find a way to do something that something wasn’t designed to do

Old 06-05-2020, 03:31 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Which is why...if you've figured out an unintended "work around"....keep you mouth shut.

Otherwise it's like spreading the word about a great, quaint, cozy restaurant you've found. Now everyone is coming...and you can't even get a table anymore. Well, that's your (and the other diners) own fault.....for not just letting others stumble onto it like you did. If they find it, they find it. One or two more people. Fine. But keep running your trap and you'll have everybody and their mother there.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Which is why...if you've figured out an unintended "work around"....keep you mouth shut.

Otherwise it's like spreading the word about this great, quaint, cozy restaurant you've found. Now everyone is coming...and you can't even get a table anymore. Well, that's your own fault.
In my case irrelevant , not something I would do nor is this ploy to get money out of the 401k and rolled over playing by the irs rules ....they may not catch it but that does mean just because you can get away with something you should

Old 06-05-2020, 03:38 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
^^ I know....I was just commenting in general about how something that only a few people might quietly do can get attention. And then that avenue is closed.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ I know....I was just commenting in general about how something that only a few people might quietly do can get attention. And then that avenue is closed.
It happens all the time ....that is what happened with paying back years of ss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance