Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 05:58 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times

Advertisements

Ya'll knew it was coming (at least one or two of you )..

It's that time of the year where we look forward and outline goals in our financial lives. Maybe it's just finding a way out of 2020 (!!!) or maybe you're thinking BIG... new house, new degree, getting out of debt for good... ALL financial goals are valid here...

My goals in 2021:

-I will max out our IRAs on Jan 1st using inheritance.
-I will reset my husband's paycheck to max out his 401k
-I will save any incoming inheritance for college (up to $300k)
-Any inheritance in excess of $300k will immediately to towards projects on new property
-Any cash bonuses will go towards projects on new property

Projects on new property, in order of priority:
-Add 3/4 bath to exterior laundry room
-Remodel "office" shed for AirB&B/guests suite/3rd bedroom
-Repair shed
-Improve drainage and hardscape (retention walls, gravel driveway)
-Remodel 3rd shed for dog boarding
-Create enclosure for 30' by 36' garden
-Create livestock pens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 06:50 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
As usual, our financial goal is to spend more money in 21 than we did in 20.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:27 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
I hope that GLD goes up by at least 15% off of today's price.

I hope real estate prices come down to at least similar to what they were before the pandemic (I crash would be great but I don't see that happening in most areas) so that I can finally purchase a new home for my family and not rent anymore.

I hope I earn enough off of investments so that I can make a sizeable donation to at least 3 deserving charities by the end of 2021.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:56 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Direct financial goals -
Continue on the plan I have to pay down debt. It's very doable as long as I stop shopping lol.....which I have done. (On track to be complete by 2023)
Figure out a balance between debt payoff and savings. I need to save an E, as well as still need to fund this surgery I am planning and future home maintenance, etc.
Increase 401k (currently at 10%, with a 3% match) another couple of percentage points as able. Goal would be to max within a few years. I turn 42 in 2021. Would like to max by the time I am 45?
Explore investment options...currently using Robinhood and Coinbase, add to those in tiny increments as able.
Continue to look forward a few years - once this credit card debt is gone, I will only have my mortgage (car should be paid off around same time as credit cards). If I don't make too many stupid decisions between now and then, that should be the turning point where I can really start accelerating savings & investments.

Indirect financial goals -
Get promoted and plan to use any salary increase solely for debt payoff, not funding current lifestyle (it's funded on current salary so this is doable as long as human nature doesn't get in the way haha).
Stop making stupid personal relationship decisions that ultimately impact financial health & plans.
Continue my wellness journey - this will only positively impact literally everything else in my life.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Direct financial goals -
Continue on the plan I have to pay down debt. It's very doable as long as I stop shopping lol.....which I have done. (On track to be complete by 2023)
Figure out a balance between debt payoff and savings. I need to save an E, as well as still need to fund this surgery I am planning and future home maintenance, etc.
Increase 401k (currently at 10%, with a 3% match) another couple of percentage points as able. Goal would be to max within a few years. I turn 42 in 2021. Would like to max by the time I am 45?
Explore investment options...currently using Robinhood and Coinbase, add to those in tiny increments as able.
Continue to look forward a few years - once this credit card debt is gone, I will only have my mortgage (car should be paid off around same time as credit cards). If I don't make too many stupid decisions between now and then, that should be the turning point where I can really start accelerating savings & investments.

Indirect financial goals -
Get promoted and plan to use any salary increase solely for debt payoff, not funding current lifestyle (it's funded on current salary so this is doable as long as human nature doesn't get in the way haha).
Stop making stupid personal relationship decisions that ultimately impact financial health & plans.
Continue my wellness journey - this will only positively impact literally everything else in my life.
Super detailed. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your recap this time next year

Old 12-11-2020, 06:40 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Well, flying, yes I knew it was coming.

But this year, I honestly don't quite know what to say.

Why? Well the last two years we completely missed the mark, or markS?

This year was a disastrous year to try to accomplish much, but although I lost my hotel job due to lockdown, and we signed up for all relief program s, it turned out with the covid govt checks, and a "covid bonus" my spouse was paid per hour, we managed to maintain status quo on bills, basically breaking even on cash flow vs outgo.
Nothing magnificent, mind you, no lofty goals met for huge savings deposits or investments, in fact to do the "other necessary" items, needed to draw out savings earmarked for retirement.

Also, I told my spouse last Nov "you've git all of 2020 to get it right".. as far as being lazy about working, about the infidelity issues, about the "control freak" issues, about the "truth and honesty" (for just ONCE in my spouses life!!??), And choices made and subsequent consequences, or (should be capitalized "OR") ID BE FILING FOR DIVORCE. GRR.

Lockdown only kept my spouse from running off for "outside the marriage entertainment" (shall we say?) BUT, come our anniversary week in July (an anniversary SHOULD be 'sacred' to any relationship!?!?!?), Let's just say spouse returned to old infidelity behavior, and was caught quickly, then refused to acknowledge it's wrongness, tried lying about it (isn't that a moot point when you've been CAUGHT?!?), And if course couldn't be bothered to even be apologetic about it!?!?!, Breaking about every 'rule' in the book, for which I had warned....would result in ..

SO: end result is I have filed for divorce. No sense in waiting out the rest of the year, chosen behaviors exhibited are obviously NOT going to change, so why bother to wait?
For me it really was over at least 5 years ago, but I still took blame where none was warranted, continued to try to figure out what I had done wrong, or had not done right taking on the responsibility of assuming it was 'my fault,' (obviously erroneously), and pulled every rabbit out if the hat to save this thing we called a "marriage" that in reality was no different than a roommate situation, sharing ONLY a bed to actually only sleep in, and a piece of paper saying we were attached at the hip, for no other part of it in any way resembled a 'marriage'.
Grr.
I should have gotten the point when spouse walked out on marriage counseling, refused religious marriage counseling, and walked out of therapy sessions 3 and 4 years ago but I kept at it, in vain....and in vain....and in vain...

Grr! Now that THAT is off my chest, as you can see, ANY financial planning likewise went out the window, needless to say.

I have spent the best part of the beginning of the year (during downtime for covid-19 lockdown) formulating a 5 year and 10year plan. It would have moved faster and gone higher quicker HAD my spouse been a part of it, but I still have a basic formulation that will be solely MINE as soon as the finalized divorce decree approaches and the termination of MY life of torture with this particular spouse.

The basic outline is:
1) finish off all debts except the mortgage (and I'll be damned if I'm NOT getting the house in the divorce!!!).
2) aggressively reduce expenses and outgo
3) begin maximizing savings and investment (because the house may be the ONLY asset I will get in the divorce!!)
4) in 5 years go to the then MY chosen southern warmer locale and purchase retirement home.
5) somewhere between year 5 and year 10 to move or wait exactly until year 10 to actually effect the move.
6) sell all three pieces of property ( MINE {Note my possessive use here}, and my father's home (because he should have passed by then) and the duplex in florida dad and I own (the one that my EX cannot touch!), And most likely invest all the proceeds.
7) merge my estate at the time of dads passing into the family trust (thank the magnificent stars my EX cannot get hands ON the family trust in the divorce!!) To build a, or THE largest estate I can, so that I may retire at age 67 fully hopefully with the health needed to actually enjoy it!!

Thars the outline. For now , I'm plowing all finances into getting all debts (save that mortgage for MY house (possessive, aren't I?), So that I can start fresh with my plan as soon as decree is in my hot little hands to go immediately to get EX off mortgage and deed.
It still could take most or all of 2021 to get to divorce finalization, so I may be a year behind.

Also to manage gainful (enough) employment at a level at which I can suspend indefinitely my SSDI, and then take full Retirement SS at 67.

So, right now, so that my EX won't gain from my due diligence and furtive industry, I will bide my time on my plans.

May 2021 be the happiest for ME, once I am permenantly excisioned from my EX!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL AND BEST WISHES FOR A HEALTHY HAPPY PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!
(in that order!)

(Beethoven's 9th plays joyously in the background!)

3)

Old 12-11-2020, 07:07 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
goals (have only 2) :

- keep doing what i've been doing : maxing out my 401k, Roth, Taxable with whatever extra I have
- track my budget more carefully especially watch eating out expenses more and cook more at home (for both financial and personal health)

Old 12-11-2020, 07:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Increase my 401k contribution. Pay off my credit card balances.

Goal setting is so much easier when you don't have to worry about 6-figure inheritances.......

Old 12-11-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Increase my 401k contribution. Pay off my credit card balances.

Goal setting is so much easier when you don't have to worry about 6-figure inheritances.......
Mo' money, mo' problems...

Old 12-11-2020, 07:55 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
My goal is to enjoy myself. Financially, spiritually, physically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance