Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 10:53 AM

269 posts, read 247,485 times

Advertisements

While political views may differ, many may feel it's time to secure their family's security by expatriating wealth from the US. Has anyone here begun this process?

In Venezuela and Cuba (and other countries) people who acted early as these governments transitioned were able to protect much of the wealth that they and their families had worked hard for.

Personally I have not started this process yet, however will further research and take steps to protect the fruits of my lifelong efforts. I imagine many may consider doing the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 11:24 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Most people don't have enough money for expatriation to be practical. And I'm not talking the typical broke American. I suspect that even with a million or two, that's really not enough money for expatriation to be worth it.

And then there's another factor: If the U.S. goes down, a whole lot of other places are going to go down with it. That's why the U.S. has been under heavy attack, both internally and externally, for the last 2 generations.

We live in a global economy now. If the U.S. goes down, there won't be anywhere to run with your money. You'll have to start all over again, and that's the ugly truth.

If you actually have any significant money, I think a wiser use of your funds would be to look for a place where you can start transitioning to a more self sufficient existence, independent of all the centralized systems we've become accustomed to. That generally means living in a rural area.

There's a very pragmatic book on this subject called "Strategic Relocation" by Joel Skousen that I recommend. Here's the link:

https://joelskousen.com/strategic-relocation

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-10-2021 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-10-2021, 11:39 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Yeah, it would basically be a new dark ages for the world. In many ways, it’s been global hegemony continuous from the British empire to the American empire. The implications for the world would create untold suffering no matter what peoples opinion on this period of leadership is.

The ops post reminds me of one of the letters read in the “rise of the third reich” documentary. People were fleeing the country in droves. “I had to pay next years taxes today, even though I won’t be living in Germany.. but this...is a country to get out of...even if you have to do it naked.”

Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
I haven't looked into this but I'd imagine that if you could open bank accounts in a few countries and set up the ability to transfer funds when you want to, that should cover most situations. I have no idea what hurdles there are for this.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:45 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Keep on researching. You are a bit behind the power curve though.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:48 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The ops post reminds me of one of the letters read in the “rise of the third reich” documentary. People were fleeing the country in droves. “I had to pay next years taxes today, even though I won’t be living in Germany.. but this...is a country to get out of...even if you have to do it naked.”
Except now the Third Reich has gone global. Yes, it wears a different mask than the one Nazi Germany wore, but anyone who actually opens their eyes can see it. There won't be any country spared from its ravages.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
There is an exit tax if your net worth is high enough and if you renounce your citizenship your SS/Medicaid will be forfeited too I believe

Old 01-10-2021, 12:17 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Some disparate thoughts....

1) Plenty of countries let non-citizens have bank accounts. It's not that big a deal.

2) How is making people pay an exit tax any different from countries not letting their people leave unless they leave their money or possessions behind?

Old 01-10-2021, 12:27 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Some disparate thoughts....

1) Plenty of countries let non citizens have bank accounts. It's not that big a deal.

2) How is making people pay an exit tax any different from countries not letting their people leave unless they leave their money or possessions behind?

Which countries allow non-resident accounts and do not report internationally? Not to mention that declaring world wide income is required from US citizens.

It is considerable less if you have enough.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:17 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Wouldn't you be better off buying gold (or even bitcoin) as a hedge against the collapse of the dollar and/or hyperinflation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance