Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 04:08 PM

226 posts, read 158,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicwaters177 View Post
I don't see a point in getting a prenup. She's gonna be a RN and then hopefully nurse practitioner. She'll be making six figures by the time she's 30 also. We should have around a 250 income by then.

I can't tell her about the gambling. I honestly think she may leave me. I have it under control though. I honestly thought I could win with my knowledge of sports but now, I finally realized it's impossible to win at it so I won't do it again

If you marry, I "bet" the marriage don't last 1 year.

Look at the bolded statement you made.
You plan on building a marriage based on lies? keeping secrets?

A house cannot stand on a weak foundation.

Sorry to be so direct - but I think you need a serious reality check.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:36 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
If you marry, I "bet" the marriage don't last 1 year.

Look at the bolded statement you made.
You plan on building a marriage based on lies? keeping secrets?

A house cannot stand on a weak foundation.

Sorry to be so direct - but I think you need a serious reality check.
It can, but at what cost? Being anxious, feeling doubt or shame the whole time?

Many years ago I worked with bitter couple in their 80's. Truly disgusted and miserable...

The wife made me lunch (I was hired to make lunch but she insisted) and both of them were bickering at the table and I tried to lighten things up and I said, "well surely things went well at some point? You got married and had 4 kids after all.. " and they both got silent. Wife turned to me, sighed and said, "yeah, the first two years were pretty good..."

After 50-60 years of marriage and literally falling apart (stroke for him, COPD for her) I'm sure they didn't divorce before death.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:44 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
I love my gf want to take care of her, my parents, my future children and don’t need much money myself.

1. I love my gf but have to lie to her and will continue to do so
2. I don’t need much money but blow more than a lot of people make annually on gambling(and blame it on “almost an out of body experience”)

Well a lack of honesty and ability to accept responsibility often leads to no long term changes. This issue has a very high probability or repeating

PS don’t have children you can’t be honest with

Old 01-19-2021, 12:17 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
But I just can't stop obsessing about it over and over again in my head
Probably becuase you're an obsessive person, which is what was driving the gambling in the first place. Which is why you need to be in a 12 step program.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:13 PM

464 posts, read 314,601 times
Quote:
I'm 31 years old. I've made a lot of money in my life and been generally speaking, very smart with my money. I had about a 400K net worth by time I was 30

Well I love sports and gambling. In the past, I've tinkered with it but this last year, I hit complete rock bottom. I've lost 50K for sure... I lost another 50K that I chargebacked and got the money back in my account. I may or may not end up being sued for that (I pray to God I don't get sued). What's killed me is I've had some monster hot streaks but also had much worse cold streaks.

If I don't get sued, in between investments and retirement, I still have about 190K. If I do have to pay it, I'll have about 140K. It sounds decent but I've been making six figures since I was 23 - when you consider that, it's pathetic. I do have a nice car that's paid off and a house with some good equity and a super low rate so I'm grateful for that. I have no debt.

I feel like such a complete and utter failure. I honestly think my fiancee would leave me if she found out how badly I've wrecked our family's future. I feel like bashing my head against a wall until it bleeds out

I'm totally done with it but I feel like it's too little too late. The one saving grace here is I do make six figures and my fiancee will make 70-80K as an RN in 2 years but I'm worried about my girl finding out before then. What should I do moving forward? I've hit complete rock bottom so I promised myself to never again touch a bet but I can't recover the damage and I'm just obsessing over it, over and over again
First off, what you have are investment losses. No different than losses that could happen in bitcoin or TSLA. It happens. Second, you're still worth a lot of money- though I don't think you should define yourself in terms of money. Third, you will continue to make a lot of money. You're fine. Don't overreact.

I've spent about six figures traveling the world. But that's what I like to do... see the world. So, as long as you enjoyed yourself, that's what matters.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:42 PM

464 posts, read 314,601 times
Quote:
I'm trying to build wealth for my fiancee, our future kids...
Just focus on building good memories.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
The OP is no longer a member

For a second time

Old 01-19-2021, 06:12 PM

108 posts, read 67,269 times
I once made a similar mistake with a stupid bet on a stock, and lost a similar portion of my net worth. The past is done, you can’t change it. The amount of money you have left is your new net worth, so you’re starting over with that in this moment. You’re going to have losses in life, and all you can do is figure out exactly what mistakes led you to those actions—in this case, you failed to consider downside risk. You must carefully consider the downside risk of any important decision. Before investing or gambling with any amount of money, you must ask how you are going to feel if you lose 100% of it. Do not confuse this question with the odds of success. No matter what the perceived odds are, the risk you’re taking is a 100% loss. In gambling as in investing, reward is a function of risk, so there is no such thing as a low-risk/high-reward bet like you probably thought. If you can’t stand to lose 100% of the money you’re playing with, don’t play with it!

Last edited by ifb352; 01-19-2021 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-20-2021, 07:51 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
This sounds suspiciously familiar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The OP is no longer a member

For a second time
You guys called it. I don't know why these nutcases take the time to come up with these stories...

Old 01-20-2021, 01:07 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
You guys called it. I don't know why these nutcases take the time to come up with these stories...
Everybody likes a good story.

Have to make use of that popcorn. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance