Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 02:05 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,476,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It's simple to add to (most) homeowner policies - and (far) cheaper to do so than taking a separate policy, particularly if it's already 'bundled' with car insurance, boat, whatever.

It's Zander Insurance, not Zanders; isn't it what Dave Ramsey touts/endorses? He appears to have quite the following in this forum (as does Warren Buffet, lol).

There are federal/state laws to protect the victim of identity theft in terms of limited liability in most cases - particularly relative to due diligence i.e. cashed fraudulent checks and so on. That said, an easy way to protect yourself is to receive text alerts re: withdrawals on bank accounts as well as any charge over $250 (or whatever) on your credit card. As soon as I swipe my card, I'm receiving an alert instantaneously.

Additionally, have a separate (low-balance) account for e-filing taxes (or any activity online) as well as regularly monitor your credit report.
ya Ramsey endorses Zander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 05:49 AM

8,169 posts, read 12,906,334 times
I just have a credit freeze in place and monitor all my personal accounts daily for signs of theft/fraud. I personally don't see the value of an insurance policy in my case.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:09 AM

107,386 posts, read 109,774,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I just have a credit freeze in place and monitor all my personal accounts daily for signs of theft/fraud. I personally don't see the value of an insurance policy in my case.
Commercial loans can be taken out with your identity and they go through different credit agencies like D&b or moodys ...

There are horror stories on many forums about commercial loans being taken that totally bypassed the consumer agencies with their freezes .

Also by the time you reach ss age you can have lots of trouble trying to sign up for ss or Medicare with credit freezes since they need to access certain info to identify you

Old 03-20-2021, 06:59 AM

8,169 posts, read 12,906,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Commercial loans can be taken out with your identity and they go through different credit agencies like D&b or moodys ...

There are horror stories on many forums about commercial loans being taken that totally bypassed the consumer agencies with their freezes .

Also by the time you reach ss age you can have lots of trouble trying to sign up for ss or Medicare with credit freezes since they need to access certain info to identify you
Yes, a credit freeze isn't perfect BUT it is wise to protect yourself with one.

I can unfreeze the credit report in minutes if needed and then refreeze it. It costs nothing.

It is possible someone would attempt to obtain a commercial loan under my identity. I would hope a commercial lender would be wise enough not to loan money to a fictitious business with no credit history. If it ever did happen I would have to fight it on my own.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Yes, a credit freeze isn't perfect BUT it is wise to protect yourself with one.

I can unfreeze the credit report in minutes if needed and then refreeze it. It costs nothing.

It is possible someone would attempt to obtain a commercial loan under my identity. I would hope a commercial lender would be wise enough not to loan money to a fictitious business with no credit history. If it ever did happen I would have to fight it on my own.
The problem is they take that commercial loan using the name of an existing business with a history and then use your personal name to give them for a personal guarantee which is usually needed on small business

Old 03-20-2021, 07:27 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,044,436 times
Quote:
There are horror stories on many forums about commercial loans being taken that totally bypassed the consumer agencies with their freezes
Do you have any stats or links for this? Yes, it can occur, but a jet can also fall on your head. The question is how likely is it to occur. I'll bet there have been many. many more instances where a credit freeze stopped a fraud from occurring vs how many times a commercial loan was taken out after a credit freeze. Anyone who does not do a credit freeze that reason is taking a big chance.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:33 AM

we see them on 7 on your side our tv station .

https://abc7chicago.com/sba-loan-sma...-2020/6377740/

here are other things a credit freeze wont help

https://www.consumerreports.org/iden...dentity-theft/

Old 03-20-2021, 10:50 AM

8,870 posts, read 4,004,918 times
Quote:
Depending on what happens with the theft there are real horror stories out there about recovery of money gone bad so laws only help when things follow the plan .
Many times the financial institutions deny reimbursement because the T ‘s weren’t crossed and the ‘s dotted and they are well within their rights
Laws are in place to protect the victim of identity theft/fradulent activity on their account, but it doesn't mean the consumer is void of responsibility or due diligence as well. Hence the reason I stated simple steps one may take in order to monitor their accounts, so they are able to (immediately) report any suspicious activity. The sooner it's reported, the better (and lower the financial impact). Obviously, in cases (upon investigation) where they believe the 'victim' is an accessory and/or negligent, they may deny reimbursement.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:58 AM

Any outs and you can bet these institutions will likely go for it ....

Ever read the zero liability fine print on debit cards ?

They are not protected under the same laws even .

There is a lot of fine print on the debit card zero liability and you have no control over a good part of it .

Old 03-20-2021, 11:22 AM

8,870 posts, read 4,004,918 times
Quote:
Any outs and you can bet these institutions will likely go for it ....

Ever read the zero liability fine print on debit cards ?

They are not protected under the same laws even .

There is a lot of fine print on the debit card zero liability and you have no control over a good part of it .
Zero liability offers more protection than federal law; you're speaking to a condition precedent as part of the 'contract'. In other words, as I stated previously, the consumer is not void of responsibility i.e. 'reasonable care'. Hence, again, the (obvious) reason for taking simple steps to track one's accounts via alerts and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance