Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 11:18 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Stimulus View Post
Okay, so now that we're in round 2 of Stimulus checks, and they are already talking about a 3rd round, I have still never received my first $1,200.00 check from last year, and certainly not the new $1,400.00 check. I can't, for the life of me figure it out, and since the original checks/cards went out about a year ago, I couldn't use the online tools to check your stimulus, as I only got error messages. I also know that calling the IRS won't help.

Here is my situation:

-I am a non filer, and haven't filed a tax return since year 2014.
-I am not required to file, since I am on SS Disability
-My only income is my monthly SS Disability
-It is direct deposited into my account every month

Now my understanding is that in that scenario, the payments should have been either direct deposited into my account, the same account my SS Disability payment comes, since I am a non filer.

What am I missing here?

Note again that I tried all those online tools to "Find My Payment," but got nothing other than error messages of one kind or another.
You haven't filed since 2014. The IRS has no information if/where you are. The IRS does not use SS to find your banking information.

The "find my payment" tool was supposed to be used for you to input your banking information. Now that it is 2021, that tool no longer works.

You will have to file a 2020 tax return. You have until May 15 to file. Not sure if you can get low cost tax preparation help. May be a private help service funded by United Way or another agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 2,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Try using a different browser, others have had this error come up and been able to access with a different browser.

I will give that a shot by logging in with IE. I will also try going in with my phone, as I often find that Firefox and IE both tend to stall in a of the same places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you file 2020 tax return, you will get the $1200 and $600 from earlier applied to whatever you owe.* Then when you file 2021, the $1400 will also be applied to what you owe. Why not do that? *$3200 reduction in tax debt sounds like a good deal to me. That’s better than not filing and getting nothing, and still having to pay the $3200 yourself someday.

*I’m also on SSDI, but i filed taxes because i file jointly with my wife. You are eligible for the Stimulus and will get it regardless of being only SSDI income. I assume that the IRS will seize the refund to pay your tax debt, but I’m not sure about that. Congress did talk about not letting the IRS take it for tax debt, but I don’t know if it was part of the legislation that passed.

It makes no sense for you to not file in this case.

Yeah that actually is sort of a pretty good deal. At the moment, I could really use the money a lot more than I could use the credit toward my debt, if I am completely honest. But, still, if this all goes through, and whatever stimulus I get ends up being applied to my back taxes, I will chalk it off to a high quality problem. Yeah, I could really use the cash, but I am sure that when I do finally get back to work, having about $3,200.00 in debt relief would be something I will be grateful for at that point.

Edit: I didn't see this post at first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
You haven't filed since 2014. The IRS has no information if/where you are. The IRS does not use SS to find your banking information.

The "find my payment" tool was supposed to be used for you to input your banking information. Now that it is 2021, that tool no longer works.

You will have to file a 2020 tax return. You have until May 15 to file. Not sure if you can get low cost tax preparation help. May be a private help service funded by United Way or another agency.

Thanks for the information! That explains a lot. I had read that if SS pays you through direct pay, that this was what the government used for stimulus. I could be wrong, but wouldn't I just be able to self file, since its not like I have a complex return or anything? I would just be filing as single, my only income being my SS Disability.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:01 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Stimulus View Post
I will give that a shot by logging in with IE. I will also try going in with my phone, as I often find that Firefox and IE both tend to stall in a of the same places.

Yeah that actually is sort of a pretty good deal. At the moment, I could really use the money a lot more than I could use the credit toward my debt, if I am completely honest. But, still, if this all goes through, and whatever stimulus I get ends up being applied to my back taxes, I will chalk it off to a high quality problem. Yeah, I could really use the cash, but I am sure that when I do finally get back to work, having about $3,200.00 in debt relief would be something I will be grateful for at that point.
I owed SS $10,000, once upon a time. When i went on SSDI for the second time (long story), they owed me approximately $8500. They applied it to the debt so I only had to pay back $1500. I could have used that money because we were broke, but looking back, i am thankful i didn’t have to pay it all back.

Quote:

Edit: I didn't see this post at first:

Thanks for the information! That explains a lot. I had read that if SS pays you through direct pay, that this was what the government used for stimulus. I could be wrong, but wouldn't I just be able to self file, since its not like I have a complex return or anything? I would just be filing as single, my only income being my SS Disability.
The news has been saying that SS recipients who don’t file taxes, should be getting their payments soon. The get my payment tool will be updated in a few days. However, the message you got when you tried it before makes me wonder if you will get it at all. If not, filing taxes is the only way.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:27 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
I didn't gave any stimulus checks, I make too much to qualify for any of them.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

That isn't true. The reason the 3rd round took so long for SS recipients is they didn't give the info to the IRS as they were supposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance